Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-01-2014, 06:35 PM   #11
When running on gas, a small pilot flame must be centered beneath the pot that boils the ammonia solution. If the fridge is not level, the flame will not be in the right location for efficient heating.

When running on electricity, there is a heating element that causes the solution to boil and it is not dependent on position.

A buddy of mine had a motorhome ONCE, and he decided to park it in his very steep driveway so they could start the fridge (on gas) and load it up for a morning departure. He was aroused in the wee hours of the morning to the fire department at his house attempting to extinguish his incinerated RV. The MH was burned down to the chassis and it melted all the siding on his garage wall.

The angle was so steep that the pilot flame in the fridge was glancing off the boiler and onto the chimney which caused the framing of the rig to overheat and catch on fire.

2006 23B Hybrid with 10k round bar WDH
2011 F150 4x4 SCREW Ecoboost, Max Tow, Integrated TBC, 3.73 LS axle, Firestone Ride Rite airbags.
mcfarmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:52 PM   #12
Very interesting! I have to imagine that was one non-level driveway!

So, the fridge needs to be level-ish for a least two reasons-
First, Running on gas, the flame needs to within spec to heat the solution properly and not veer off and burn up the RV.
Second, running on gas or electricity, level is important so that gravity can work appropriately to allow the liquid solution inside the cooling unit to flow down through the various tubes...

2013 Starcraft 266RKS
1999 Ford E350 V10 Chateau (6.8L, 4.11 LS)
2005 Cedar Creek 31LBHS
2001 Sprinter 303BHS
1997 Mallard 33Z
1990 Starcraft Starmaster
Bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:19 AM   #13
I remember reading in my manual for the fridge which is a Norcold, something about 3 degrees front to back and 2 degrees side to side is what I believe it says.

2009 Eagle Super Lite 298RLS
2010 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5
Fil564 is offline   Reply With Quote