Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #1

Question How long to dump?

Hello all,

So we recently got our first TT (184BH) and have had it out several times.

When cleaning out at a dump station, I am curious what the customary amount of time one should spend cleaning is?

I haven't had to wait for somebody, but have had people pull up behind me and I feel pressured to hurry up. My tanks are very small so I would imagine bigger rigs are taking much more time than I do.

Just curious what people think and are doing. Sometimes I would like to rinse the tank (all 9 gallons of it) an additional time but I don't want to hold up the line more than my fair share.
BrettSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:51 PM   #2

It takes me about 10 minutes. I'm aware of a county park system in Northern California that charges $10 to dump. It's a timed lock, you get 15 minutes. Nobody likes waiting, but dumping and servicing tanks takes time, just try to be efficient when folks are waiting, but don't skip steps.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:54 PM   #3

This is one thing that if no one is waiting I take my time because the last thing I want to do is open the door to a trailer full of smell. But if someone is waiting then I flush it a couple times and move on.

2008 F-150 Supercrew 2011 Jayco Jayflight 26 BH
CRoesti13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #4

I can drain the black, get a couple of good post-drain flushes in, plus drain the grey in under 20 minutes (max 44 gals each tank). I feel that is respectable and I dont rush things. I've been in line behind folks who take a lot longer. We listen to music, read a book, chat with others and make good use of the waiting time (and I get my rig prepped as much as possible for the dumping evolution...getting hoses/fitting laid out, gloves on, etc.). I have located a very nice dump station that is well located near home and always visit them on the inbound trek (mostly because it is free!...at an RV superstation). Unfortunately the location of the dump receptacle is not level, so I put my TT tires up on a couple 2x6s to make sure the drain port on the black tank allows all the contents to properly drain. Funny, the things you learn/figure out along your journeys!
Old 08-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #5

Gloves, hooking up and turning on the tank flush hose and main sewer hose, dumping the black tank until nothing more is visible through clear plastic fitting, shutting that valve and opening the two gray tank valves, letting all that drain out, and putting everything away takes no more than 15 minutes, even with a 35 gal black tank and two 30 gal gray tanks. I think that most campers drain in roughly the same time, because the bigger the tanks, the larger the drain pipes, up to a point, from my observation. Takes me about the same time whether dumping at the campsite, or at the dump station. Just get your procedure down pat, do it, and don't worry about the guy behind you. Most campers are very patient at the dump site, especially if they can see you are not diddling around, and are proceeding at a reasonable pace. JMHO
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:26 AM   #6

As long as it takes to empty the tanks and clean up without spills. Timing is everything. If its a Sunday am and the campground is emptying fast, don't plan on a complete Spring cleaning. Get the basics done and save the deep cleaning for another time. I try to leave on an off day [being retired has its benefits] or wait until I get on the road. Many States have dump stations at rest areas that are usually marked on the maps. Can usually drive in and out without a line and I've found they tend to be cleaner because they get less usage. I also live right outside a State Park so if its not a long pull home, I sometimes wait until I'm home and make a stop at the park before pulling into the drive.

If there is more than one in line behind you, get er done!!
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote