Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-22-2017, 07:17 AM   #1

How many equalizer washers?

hi-

Just curious on how many washers people are using in their setup?

I think I am a little light in the front (yes, I am going to go to the cat scale to confirm ) but, I noticed it this weekend while on a trip.

The dealer only put 3 washers in the setup when they put it all together so I am thinking I need to get a few more washers, weigh the combo and then adjust accordingly.

3 just does not seem like the right number for our trailer (27BHS) which has about 875# of hitch weight.

Thanks
Scott
scottyt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:52 AM   #2

How many equalizer washers?

I'm in the same process right now. My dealer installed the hitch with 6 washers. On a video I watched, Equalizer said 5 was a good number to start with. Here's my story:

Check my CAT numbers please

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...8&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bearcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:56 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I would re-check that. I have always installed my own WDH. The techs at the dealers seem to have a limited amount of expertise in setting them up and they seem to always be in a time crunch.
Probably took me 1.5 hours to set mine up.
The last Equalizer system I installed, seemed like I had 5-7 washers with a TT loaded out at 3,500lbs.
That's the only thing I hated about that WDH system. This time I went with a Curt TruTrack WDH. It has a cam on either side to adjust tilt of ball. Makes it much easier to dial in.

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight_Dist...rt/C17500.html

Once you get the Equalizer dialed in, it works great.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:10 AM   #4

I am using 6 washers on my hitch. It took a few tries to get it right. I measured the the distance from the top of the front wheel well opening to the ground with the truck unloaded, then added washers until that distance was the same with the trailer connected. That has worked nicely for me.
Popcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:50 PM   #5

E2 hitch set up with 2017 29' rks 1500 ram 4x4 and can not get bars to ride flat on L brackets ? added 3 washers too dealers 3 with no success, any thoughts ??
kevmar0412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyt24 View Post
hi-

I think I am a little light in the front (yes, I am going to go to the cat scale to confirm ) but, I noticed it this weekend while on a trip.

The dealer only put 3 washers in the setup when they put it all together so I am thinking I need to get a few more washers, weigh the combo and then adjust accordingly.

3 just does not seem like the right number for our trailer (27BHS) which has about 875# of hitch weight.

Thanks
Scott
The washers in combination with your hitch height, and bracket positions on the campers A-arm all dictate the amount of weight distribution you are getting.

It's really impossible to say how many washers.... because we don't know how high your spring bar brackets are.

I would recommend you go through the Equalizer setup instructions (find the YouTube videos) and run through the measuring process to see if you are getting the weigh distribution you should be getting.

I would also recommend taking your truck and camper to a Cat scale to confirm what's happening in more scientific terms. There's a bunch of threads on here about how to scale your setup.

I used all but 1 of the washers that came with my kit. If I had raised my spring bar brackets one more notch up, I would have used fewer washers to get the same effect.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:51 PM   #7

I am at 5 and that seems to be exactly where I need to be. I haven't been to the scales since I upgraded my truck to a 250 to verify yet though.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:14 PM   #8

Quote:
hi-

Thanks
Scott
I've got a 26BHS which is close to yours.With single battery and 2 x 30LB propane bottles and a bit of items in the trailer the hitch weight was 926 LBS.

My truck was leveled(lifted) last year and I was up to 7 washers.
I have since switched out my suspension to gain more rake back and put in some air bags which I am planning to run at min psi to take out some of the bounce.

I am thinking that the 800 Lb bars the dealer provided on the hitch are under sized though.....
theoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmar0412 View Post
E2 hitch set up with 2017 29' rks 1500 ram 4x4 and can not get bars to ride flat on L brackets ? added 3 washers too dealers 3 with no success, any thoughts ??
I am not sure if this is the same situation I experienced, but the first time I set up my wdh I installed the L brackets perpendicular to the frame and in line with the bracket clamps. After installing the spring bars I noticed they did not lay flat on the brackets. To correct this I simple loosened the bracket nuts with the spring bar in place and allowed the L bracket to settle into the correct position. I retightened the nuts and things seem to be working fine.
Popcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:15 AM   #10

Scott,

The number of washers will vary some based on rig, tv, loaded weight, etc.

Best thing as mentioned is to go through the set up of a wdh to make sure you are good to go for your rig combo. Follow my signature links if needed for a ton of wdh info.

Also be sure to check to see what your tv manufacture's recommended wdh adjustment is and go by that. Your tv may only need 25% or 50% of the lost weight returned to the front axle.

Do know that adding or subtracting a washer is about equal to moving the bracket up or down accordingly.

Good luck, and any questions just ask!!!

Theoat,

If you have a scaled tw of almost 1000lbs and only have 800lb wd bars, they are definitely undersized!!! If you recently purchased you may be able to swap the bars (or system depending on brand) for 1000/1200lb bars.

Good luck!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:31 AM   #11

On a related note, is the amount of weight returned to the steer axle per washer or bracket hole predictable at all? Or is it totally variable based on TV, hitch, and trailer? In my case, my dealer has my Equalizer setup returning 300 out of 420lbs or 71% weight back to steer axle. Before I spend an entire off day, moving brackets and running up to a CAT scale, it would be nice to have a pretty good idea of what adjustment will be needed, so I only have to go through the whole process once, or just leave as is, if one adjustment could potentially return too much weight.

bearcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Scott,

The number of washers will vary some based on rig, tv, loaded weight, etc.

Best thing as mentioned is to go through the set up of a wdh to make sure you are good to go for your rig combo. Follow my signature links if needed for a ton of wdh info.

Also be sure to check to see what your tv manufacture's recommended wdh adjustment is and go by that. Your tv may only need 25% or 50% of the lost weight returned to the front axle.

Do know that adding or subtracting a washer is about equal to moving the bracket up or down accordingly.

Good luck, and any questions just ask!!!

Theoat,

If you have a scaled tw of almost 1000lbs and only have 800lb wd bars, they are definitely undersized!!! If you recently purchased you may be able to swap the bars (or system depending on brand) for 1000/1200lb bars.

Good luck!!!
I double checked this morning and I've got 1000Lb bars, so I'm good to go, but thanks !
theoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:03 PM   #13

Just set up my neighbors Equalizer on his 2016 2500 Ram diesel. We have 6 or 7 washers on his 29' brand X bunkhouse.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat77 View Post
On a related note, is the amount of weight returned to the steer axle per washer or bracket hole predictable at all? Or is it totally variable based on TV, hitch, and trailer? In my case, my dealer has my Equalizer setup returning 300 out of 420lbs or 71% weight back to steer axle. Before I spend an entire off day, moving brackets and running up to a CAT scale, it would be nice to have a pretty good idea of what adjustment will be needed, so I only have to go through the whole process once, or just leave as is, if one adjustment could potentially return too much weight.

I would run through step 6 in the owners manual - here's a PDF of it.

Then head off to the scale. It's really hard to guess how much weight transfer you are getting with each new washer, or 'hole' adjustment. Too many variables.

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/pdf/eq...anual_0111.pdf
Old 05-24-2017, 01:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
I would run through step 6 in the owners manual - here's a PDF of it.

Then head off to the scale. It's really hard to guess how much weight transfer you are getting with each new washer, or 'hole' adjustment. Too many variables.

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/pdf/eq...anual_0111.pdf
Bear,

It is hard to say what the difference would be. To many variables including the wd bar rating.

What you could do is take some tools with you, and if the trailer brackets have room to go up a hole, weigh the rich as is, then change the brackets up a hole, then reweigh. It may not be exactly the same as adding a washer, but Equal-I-Zer told me that changing the washers by one is about the same as moving the bracket a hole. The brackets may not be in the ideal spot, but this should give you an idea if you want to add an additional washer or not.

Theoat,

Glad to hear you have 1000lb bars!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Bear,

It is hard to say what the difference would be. To many variables including the wd bar rating.

What you could do is take some tools with you, and if the trailer brackets have room to go up a hole, weigh the rich as is, then change the brackets up a hole, then reweigh. It may not be exactly the same as adding a washer, but Equal-I-Zer told me that changing the washers by one is about the same as moving the bracket a hole. The brackets may not be in the ideal spot, but this should give you an idea if you want to add an additional washer or not.

Theoat,

Glad to hear you have 1000lb bars!!!
Just to piggy back on this -

If you have one of those tire irons that has 4 different sockets on it... they looks like a cross... or an X... sheesh I'm terrible at explaining what I'm talking about, but hopefully you get it. Anyway you use them to remove lug nuts..

You can use one of those to really quickly spin on or off the nuts for the brackets because they fit one of those tire irons perfectly. If you think you'll need to adjust the brackets at the scale, you can do it in a fraction of the time it takes with a typical wrench. It has saved me a lot of frustration.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:13 PM   #17

Quote:
hi-

Thanks
Scott
Just readjusted mine again today and broke out the Equalizer instruction manual. They say minimum number of washers is 4 so your dealer is under by 1 right out of the gate...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:15 AM   #18

My dealer set mine up as well, ended up with 4 washers and 2" on squat on the back of my truck. My trip from the dealer to home I figured it just felt weird because of the weight difference between my old camper and the new one. First outing was a real short drive and 50 and under speed limits. Felt funky on the way out but better on the way back so I though it was just me needing to get used to it. This past weekend was 2 hours, felt decent on the way out but scared the bajeebus out of me on the way home. I told the wife one of three things is going to happen. I'll fix it with hitch adjustment, I'm buying a new truck or buying another new camper lol. I really expect to be able to correct it with the hitch adjustment/scale readings. I have to get on it.
(ordered 5/9/16, arrived 10/17/16, brought home 4/14/17)
2005 Trail Cruiser TL-26QBH (sold)
1984 Coachmen PUP (sold)
NismoGriff is offline   Reply With Quote