Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2015, 12:18 AM   #1

How much trade in can I expect for a loaded 2013 Jayco Jayflight 26 RLS

How much trade in can I expect for a loaded 2013 Jayco Jayflight 26 RLS with all power jacks and stabilizers, pwr awning and slide out ??

Whats fair from the dealer on trade in and what % off of new travel trailer should I expect.

Thanks for the help.
russtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:59 AM   #2

You could try starting here for a ballpark price...

RV Prices, Values & Reviews - NADAguides

For a new RV, try rvdirect.com to obtain a price quote. That'll give you a good reference point for negotiating.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:06 AM   #3

From what I have read, NADA values are often higher than reality. I would do a search for used rigs like yours. Find 4 or 5 rigs and what dealers are selling them for, then take about 75-80% of that price as a high trade in value. Trade in values are painfully low...

For buying new, all dealers are different. When I bought my 29QBS this spring, some dealers were averaging 10% off MSRP, some a little more. I got a quote from RVDirect.com that was about 36% off MSRP... but I would have had to drive 400 miles to get it. I found a dealer an hour and a half away that came within a couple hundred dollars of the RVDirect pricing.

I would say that 30% of MSRP should be expected. More than 30% is a pretty good deal, less than 30% isn't a very good deal. Also, do your homework... know what the manufacturer claims to be the MSRP. I have noticed that some dealers have an "artificial" MSRP that is thousands more than on the Jayco website. They claim a higher MSRP and then claim a bigger discount... but at the end of the day its all a lie.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:55 AM   #4

Trade-in value and purchase price are absolutely related. The higher the trade-in value the less discount that is available on the new RV.

I would not trade-in against your next purchase. I would try to sell private party and then purchase the new unit with no trade in.

For a new unit you should shoot for 30% off MSRP. Not always possible, but it is a good target.

I would bet you would be offered ~$9k for the trade.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 01:32 PM   #5

I would agree - sell your current unit to a private party and then go work a deal. People who are in a hurry or don't want to mess with selling theirs get soaked on trade-ins. I didn't have a trade, but when I asked about their used inventory, my dealer flat out told me they don't like messing with trade-ins or the risk of used inventory, so for that reason, they offer rock bottom on trade-ins...

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:01 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
If you sell privately your unit there are two winners. The owner who bought yours and you have lots of bargain power for new or used at a dealer or even when you go to a private sale. Dealers give low value on the dollar for trade in. Plus they got you by the ball when you try to bargain on new or used. I always sell private.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Trade-in value and purchase price are absolutely related. The higher the trade-in value the less discount that is available on the new RV.

I would not trade-in against your next purchase. I would try to sell private party and then purchase the new unit with no trade in.

For a new unit you should shoot for 30% off MSRP. Not always possible, but it is a good target.

I would bet you would be offered ~$9k for the trade.
+1
jloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:07 PM   #8

We ordered a 2016 28BHBE the 2nd week of October thinking we could potentially sell our 2014 Feather Lite X23B Hybrid within the time before delivery. We listed the X23B over $3k less than NADA value and we haven't received a single inquiry. It's probably not the best time to sell, so I can understand. The dealership is offering $6k less than the NADA value, so we will most likely be screwed. We ordered the rig at an RV show, so we will be getting a good deal vs buying it any other time of the year.
2014 Feather Ultra Lite X23B (sold)
IceOnFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:01 PM   #9

No I don't think that it's a good time but I wouldn't give up those because you never know.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 05:16 AM   #10

I just purchased a 2013 White Hawk 28DSBH this week off a private sale. From my perspective it had to be a deal to buy now. The owner was offered $14500 on a trade it. I got mine for $15000. I was happy to buy with minimal depreciation. The seller made an extra $500. From a buyers perspective that was what it took to get me to buy now and not wait.
allen9426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:18 AM   #11
Lost in the Woods

The industry is really driven by introductory dream-oriented owners buying new with available bank financing, who often don't know to PDI their units themselves, AND then find themselves selling by trading in and rebuying in a very short time (loved by the dealers) after living the reality.

The well-experienced owners know that the only way to beat this game is to use your unit, keep your unit forever (really important if you buy new), downsize your expectations, upskill ones diy capabilities, pay cash, and buy a premium used unit direct from an owner = privately.

The most important words are "use" and "keep."

But not all buyers actually want to use their unit. Some just want to show it off to others.

After all, these are optional toy purchases, so it is entertainment money down the drain anyway. If you are worried about price, it tends to suggest you are running too financially thin of a margin...but of course, nobody does that.

I just was talking to a guy trying to sell (for many months now) his motorhome for $70k with a high nada of $35k. His only justification was that it had 4 slides (already considered in the nada book I use as a rough pricing source). Good luck with that. He probably is upside down on his loan and hoping to escape it, is trying to con a dimwitted buyer (some do exist), or is mentally looped.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:24 AM   #12
Site Team

Next time you are in Myrtle Beach, look across the highway at the thousands of rv's sitting in storage lots.

Many are used minimally and the rest of the time are sitting in the weather.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:28 AM   #13
Lost in the Woods

Right. Actually, don't need to go out of my local town. We have several storage lots and just like those you mention, they spend a lot of time sitting there.

The full timers and snowbirds get a lot of lived in use out of theirs, but many of them don't move around in them that much either.

It really is all about the chassis. If the chassis is in good shape, you can extensively remodel the house for way below new. But if you buy low end, the house just doesn't hold up and you have an entry level chassis as well.

I just did an inspection of a 12 year old County Coach yesterday. What a beauty and would sell for well under 100K. I really like the 2016 Jayco Seneca, but what a choice to have if I was buying today at less than half the cost of a new Seneca.

The only major repair I could find in 3.5 hours of inspection was new tires and the Frig not working off the 120VAC, only the gas ...other issues were seemingly operator errors and need to educate themselves re: a complex unit. The unit had already been through a Cummins inspection/maintenance, new batteries and etc at a local shop. Roof was immaculate and so was the undercarriage. CC actually preventative rust coated their in-house chassis before putting on the cage and house...amazing.

Just drop dead and pass out options seeing what can be had for under 100K for cash if you have some diy inspection, repair, and maintenance skills.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:04 PM   #14

Camping World will pull a " we only do wholesale for trades" NADA guide is pretty close.
pmames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 02:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceOnFire View Post
We ordered a 2016 28BHBE the 2nd week of October thinking we could potentially sell our 2014 Feather Lite X23B Hybrid within the time before delivery. We listed the X23B over $3k less than NADA value and we haven't received a single inquiry. It's probably not the best time to sell, so I can understand. The dealership is offering $6k less than the NADA value, so we will most likely be screwed. We ordered the rig at an RV show, so we will be getting a good deal vs buying it any other time of the year.
You can always hold on to two Trailers for a couple months. There is no rule that you can only own one a time. If yours is "really" worth what you are asking, then keep it till the spring. Worse case, it's not worth it and you sell it for close to the trade in number
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 05:13 PM   #16

When I was looking for a trailer, I inquired about a 2-year old private sale, a 2013 324BHTS. The guy was asking $29,500.

After doing my homework I did the following analysis, which drove my purchasing decision:

According to NADA, $29,500 was below the low asking price for the used trailer... however...

The difference between "new" and 2 years old on that trailer according to NADA was 24% (i.e. the 2 year depreciation according to them meant the value was 76% of the "new" price).

According to the window sticker (which he sent me a scan of), the MSRP was $35,643. Knowing that dealers can be persuaded to discount 25% or more, I estimated he probably actually paid only $31-32K for the trailer brand new.

Taking 24% off of that for depreciation, I gave him an offer of $24,000.

I never heard from him again, and so I spent the extra few thousand and bought a custom ordered brand new trailer (for ~25% off MSRP, albeit by the time I bought one, I'd decided on a different model). Note that the brand new 2015 model of the trailer he was selling was quoted to me by a dealer for $34,000... ($46K MSRP) and that was just their first blush before I even bothered to start negotiating.

The moral of this story is twofold:

1) NADA guide prices are just as inflated as the MSRP, in my opinion.

2) I'm reasonably sure I was right, or close to right, about the actual worth of the guys trailer, which I assume is why he never bothered responding.

The point being, I wouldn't put too much stock in online pricing websites.

Just my 2 cents.
ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote