Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-01-2015, 02:31 PM   #1

How much weight can be stored in a slide out?

Being this is the first camper we've owned with a slide, I really limit what is stored in the dinette seats. As I've stated in other posts, our 314BH has very limited storage rear of the axles so most all of the heavier things are stored under the bed, which is all the way in the front. Can I safely move some of those heavier items into those bench seats? The couch is the only place in the camper that has an exterior opening, so our camp chairs all go in there. can the slide out handle a few hundered extra pounds of stored goods regularly? The camper is not on a seasonal site and the slide is opened and closed every trip. Will it hurt anything to load it up? Thanks

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowtoy View Post
can the slide out handle a few hundered extra pounds of stored goods regularly? The camper is not on a seasonal site and the slide is opened and closed every trip. Will it hurt anything to load it up? Thanks
I was told to keep it light and I think a few 100 pounds would be out of the question. My extra weight in this area is under 50 pounds.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:04 PM   #3

Can you access the seat storage before you slide them out? If so, then I would say to not worry about the weight but you may have to move some of it out before you slide your slide out.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:26 PM   #4
Site Team

Never move the slide-out with people inside it. I know of someone who overloaded the slide motor doing that.

I have loads of storage compartments in my rig on both big slides. I have all of them full of things but I would say not over 100 lbs per slide.

Never had any problems related to being overloaded.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:52 AM   #5

most of them have seating on them, kitchen table sofa etc....they have to hold more than 100 lbs
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabat View Post
most of them have seating on them, kitchen table sofa etc....they have to hold more than 100 lbs
You're probably putting 200=600 lbs. of "people weight" on those benches at every meal. I'd think adding a couple hundred pounds more weight into the bench storage shouldn't make any difference. I don't recall reading anything in the Jayco Owner's Manual about any weight limitations on the slide-out, but you could always call Jayco for clarification.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
You're probably putting 200=600 lbs. of "people weight" on those benches at every meal. I'd think adding a couple hundred pounds more weight into the bench storage shouldn't make any difference. I don't recall reading anything in the Jayco Owner's Manual about any weight limitations on the slide-out, but you could always call Jayco for clarification.
It was just mentioned to me that in the stationary position it's one thing being loaded but not when sliding it in or out. Last thing I want is to burnout that motor when I'm ready to leave for my next reserved location & this ones taken. Maybe I worry to much about it but that's one problem I'm not looking forward too fixing on the road.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 12:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
It was just mentioned to me that in the stationary position it's one thing being loaded but not when sliding it in or out. Last thing I want is to burnout that motor when I'm ready to leave for my next reserved location & this ones taken. Maybe I worry to much about it but that's one problem I'm not looking forward too fixing on the road.
Good point, Tunce. Hadn't really thought about the motor trying to move that weight and burning out/up!

Plowtoy: I'd think Jayco would put a strong enough motor on the slide to accommodate the weight of items stored in the "storage benches", but you never know!? I think I'd give the techs at Jayco a call to find out. Better safe than sorry (or stranded). Do post what you find out!
Old 04-04-2015, 12:49 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Never move the slide-out with people inside it. I know of someone who overloaded the slide motor doing that.

I have loads of storage compartments in my rig on both big slides. I have all of them full of things but I would say not over 100 lbs per slide.

Never had any problems related to being overloaded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slabat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
You can seat all the weight you can get in there, just don't try and move the slide with a load of peoples in it. Way overloaded.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote