Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-03-2015, 09:35 AM   #41

I tried to keep the story short. There were brief quiet times. I had an ultra light trailer with thin walls, you can hear everything in there and outside. This all went down quickly. We were gonna call the police but waited till morning. What would going outside have done someone getting shot. Sometimes it is better to let a situation unravel itself. You get hurt outside then your wife is left inside with nothing. It is not always worth trying to be the tough guy.

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:02 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donedroolin View Post
I tried to keep the story short. There were brief quiet times. I had an ultra light trailer with thin walls, you can hear everything in there and outside. This all went down quickly. We were gonna call the police but waited till morning. What would going outside have done someone getting shot. Sometimes it is better to let a situation unravel itself. You get hurt outside then your wife is left inside with nothing. It is not always worth trying to be the tough guy.
Also, if you go outside, and the altercation results in the death of one of the perpetrators, you will likely go to jail for a long time. (AND you've given up ANY tactical advantage you had) Remember that a jury decides what a reasonable person would do in that situation. If you had stayed in your trailer and called 911, they would have had their fun taunting you and left; everyone goes home alive, and your life or your family's was never in danger. They enter your trailer by force and its a different ball game. That is now an imminent threat of great bodily harm or death. But until that line is crossed, you are not justified to use deadly force.

PLEASE, everyone needs to research the laws, read court cases and train hard, especially if you choose to defend yourself with a firearm. Trying to be a hero, and upholding some inflated ego will only leave your family defenseless. Don't be a tough guy, be smart and stay safe.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:18 AM   #43

How secure are our campers really

Not trying to be a tough guy by saying I'd go outside and never said I had anything to shoot anybody with...

Police and campground would have been called before thinking of going out. I'm not sitting in my camper for who knows how long while people beat and rock it. No difference if someone was messing around my house. Call police and if need be, I'm going out.

Campers have windows like houses and u could look out first to assess the situation....
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:48 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Klassy View Post
Firearms alone, however, are not a deterrent; unless of course they are in plain view. The question is, how do you subtly deter someone from messing with your RV without brandishing a firearm for everyone to see?

First let me say a bit of wisdom, intelligence and fore thought will go a long way in this type of “what if” scenario.

We take a good bit of time planning a trip and a secure location is always very important and I have no issue with “brandishing” a gun for everyone to see. Most of our travel is inside Texas and when you rent a space it is considered your home and when we park the truck for the night I unload every gun in the vehicle without any care for who does or does not see them.

The unmistakable sound of a pump shotgun is a deterrent known round the world.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:07 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
Not trying to be a tough guy by saying I'd go outside and never said I had anything to shoot anybody with...

Police and campground would have been called before thinking of going out. I'm not sitting in my camper for who knows how long while people beat and rock it. No difference if someone was messing around my house. Call police and if need be, I'm going out.

Campers have windows like houses and u could look out first to assess the situation....
That's your choice, but consider this:

You're leaving an environment that you're intimately familiar with to enter an environment with more unknown variables than I could even list. Leaving your family completely defenseless. Giving up your only tactical advantage (concealment in this case). To what end? To protect your property? Do you own anything you're willing to die for? I don't. I have insurance for that.

Even at my home, if someone is prowling about outside, or even running around my house shouting at the top of their lungs. I'm NOT leaving the shelter of my home where I have every tactical advantage, giving me the best chance to protect what's important and come out of it alive (even though it is my legal right to confront that individual).

My family and I have drilled this very event. We all know our places, and unless the house is on fire, that's INSIDE, in a designated safe zone, on the phone with 911 (both of us), cross-covering the only way to get to us.

Going on the offensive is for trained professionals; my only interest is protecting my family, and going on offense is not the best way to do that.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 03-03-2015, 11:14 AM   #46

Sun Tzu would agree.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:50 AM   #47
Site Team

Folks,

This thread in now in its fifth page. However, the discussion seems to have drifted away from its title (and topic):

"How secure are our campers really"

I don't believe the OP was looking for his thread to be hijacked for the purposes of discussing firearms, laws and the personal stories/experiences relating to them.

Let's get back to the OP's topic of discussion please.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:06 PM   #48

Your camper is as secure as you make it. Part of being secure is, parking in areas that are secure. Boondocking while enjoyable has it's share of potential issues, not the least being your alone, no one to help or watch out for you. Government parks by design, are open to most anyone, with little onsite security other than perhaps a host. People are more likely to be able to mosey in and out at will. Private camp grounds typically have more onsite personal, more security such as lighting, limited access etc. Do your research before you travel and decide what level of risk your willing to take and choose accordingly. I choose to have a MC and a NRA sticker on my bumper, I want a crook to wonder. I only need to be a touch more secure than the guy next to me... Any confrontation should be avoided if possible, but, knowing that is not always possible I carry high potency bear spray (actually for bears) wasp sprya and other weapons to protect myself if needed. But the choices I make are my first line of defense.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:34 PM   #49

I feel allot safer in my Jayco then I did my previous trailer. I make sure all compartments are locked.(Changed all locks). I put what I can in the bed of the truck. Then I pull everything else like chairs and things closer to the trailer. Lock and close all windows at night. Sometimes I will leave the front light on or the light by the sink inside. One guy told me at a campground he left his outside speakers playing. They also say if you think someone is outside you can hit the panic button on your tow vehicle.

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:45 PM   #50

Or you could just have your 2 twenty something brute sons who stay up late anyway outside with his 115 pound black dog and then you dont have to worry at all
Old 03-03-2015, 05:52 PM   #51

How secure is an RV? A couple minutes (if that) with a large screwdriver on any entry door or compartment should answer that question, barrel lock, CH751 'universal' lock, doesn't matter. Why I have insurance that covers trailer contents.

And fortunately, have never encountered denizens of society in a campground........yet.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:53 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donedroolin View Post
They also say if you think someone is outside you can hit the panic button on your tow vehicle.
Now that gave me a good idea. When I hit the lock button my headlights come on so from now on I'm going to face the car in rather than back in.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:00 PM   #53
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
Now that gave me a good idea. When I hit the lock button my headlights come on so from now on I'm going to face the car in rather than back in.
On mine the lights come on and the horn blows until shut off. This can also be a good alarm system at home especially if DW is there alone, keep the key fob by the bed and press the panic button if someone is messing around outside....
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:10 PM   #54

That is a great idea.

There are a couple of other devices I am adding to my trailer, including:

EE SGI Solar Powered 60 LED Flood Spot Exterior Light
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...4SRUFNJHDTRVWO

...and this foot latch I plan to fasten through the door
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...KWMAU3B7GEZCC4
Old 03-03-2015, 08:34 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasmnile View Post
How secure is an RV? A couple minutes (if that) with a large screwdriver on any entry door or compartment should answer that question, barrel lock, CH751 'universal' lock, doesn't matter. Why I have insurance that covers trailer contents.

And fortunately, have never encountered denizens of society in a campground........yet.

how true, add all the locks , devices you want, just means you slow a bad guy down a few seconds at most. I am 73, been camping all my life, and have NEVER had any trouble, anything stolen, or met "bad guys" while camping. I think too many are paranoid.
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:20 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasmnile View Post

+1 On both points.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 03-08-2015, 02:21 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson View Post
how true, add all the locks , devices you want, just means you slow a bad guy down a few seconds at most. I am 73, been camping all my life, and have NEVER had any trouble, anything stolen, or met "bad guys" while camping. I think too many are paranoid.

That's like saying "I've never had a car wreck, people who use seatbelts are paranoid.".
Old 03-08-2015, 03:01 PM   #58

the odds a far higher that you will be in a car wreck.
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:38 PM   #59

I think my TT is sucure to a point because the average crook will not have keys to any camper. I don't have anything out side our trailer worth killing for. Just like in combat you got to think is gonna be me or him (I had to make that choice). With that said I would try to stop anybody from hurting or killing my family any way I could. For the average person like the JOF family killing or shooting someone is not going to easy to live with at home or jail especially for camping gear.
xtruckerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:43 PM   #60

just build a hidden escape hatch and sneak up on them from behind ... or have a good paintball gun with frozen paintballs ... those suckers can disable someone quickly