Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-08-2015, 03:56 PM   #61
Site Team

Those or any lock is for your peace of mind.

The crook has a pry bar and can open any hatch in 2 seconds.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:02 PM   #62

yeah but with a paintball gun you could hurt them without killing them and then ziptie their hands and call the cops ... then clean all the paintball splatter off the inside of your camper... used to do paintball wars and I didn't like getting hit even once ... always left a bruise even with the heavy clothing on
Old 03-08-2015, 06:01 PM   #63

All my years of camping, plus the years I've work kamped I have not heard of a single case where a rig was broken into. The few things taken, were items left out and even then, they were when a Class C left for the day and left leveling blocks etc out and people assumed they had been left behind. Much easier to break into a house, where you have some distance between you and your neighbors, than to break into an RV where you have people (and workers) within feet of you. Also most campgrounds have limited routes in and out. Locks keep honest people honest, and other campers keep dishonest people moving to easier targets.. Call me lucky, I guess.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:20 PM   #64

For those that say it never happens. These are a few from the first couple of pages of a google search "camper robbed at campground". These are the ones from America. Seems it happens all over the world.

Campers robbed at beach park | Hawaii Tribune-Herald Campers robbed at beach park | Hawaii Tribune-Herald

MAN ARRESTED AFTER ALLEGEDLY JUMPING AND ROBBING CAMPER Man arrested after allegedly jumping and robbing Camper | Webcenter11.com

Couple, loyal dog shot to death on camping trip Couple, loyal dog shot to death on camping trip - CNN.com

Gerald Woodard, 86 years old, died from a heart attack after being robbed at his camper at about 9 pm. Suspect Charged in KOA Campground Death
Old 03-08-2015, 06:32 PM   #65

I keep everything locked up. We are more secure then the tent campers. They are on my mind when there is a storm or it gets cold. When I was a kid we had one of those Apache hard side pop ups. We left to go some where for the day. Someone knocked one of the sides on the bed, and took my dads new portable black and white TV. They knew what end it was at ,must have listened. My dad put locks with hasps on all the parts that could fold. It worked pretty well. Think there were 6 or 8. I don't know but all in all I feel safe in my trailer with it all locked up. I am very Leary of those new frame less windows. When we were at Albany RV for there grand opening a women from the outside pulled one open breaking those little roller things. Then the window could be opened all the way. It just hung there doing nothing. I'm not sure I like those windows, they look great, but I love my sliders.

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:37 PM   #66

While obviously crime happens all over.. I think this article puts it in perspective.

Crime in RV Trailers

It states your chances of a crime while camping is about 1 in 25,000.. not bad odds. Also found it interesting a National Park Service Ranger is 12 times more likely to be hurt in a crime, than an FBI agent is...

Call me lucky

Old 03-08-2015, 06:45 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbles75 View Post
For those that say it never happens. These are a few from the first couple of pages of a google search "camper robbed at campground". These are the ones from America. Seems it happens all over the world.

Campers robbed at beach park | Hawaii Tribune-Herald Campers robbed at beach park | Hawaii Tribune-Herald

MAN ARRESTED AFTER ALLEGEDLY JUMPING AND ROBBING CAMPER Man arrested after allegedly jumping and robbing Camper | Webcenter11.com

Couple, loyal dog shot to death on camping trip Couple, loyal dog shot to death on camping trip - CNN.com

Gerald Woodard, 86 years old, died from a heart attack after being robbed at his camper at about 9 pm. Suspect Charged in KOA Campground Death

3 out of the 4 were in remote public land areas, not in a campground. I know when I worked at a campground in Northern California, you didn't want to go hiking alone, due to the large pot farms located on public land. In fact, a lightening strike caused a fire in the Trinity Alps, while fighting the fires, the firemen got high (they were staying in our campground) The DEA took 4 days of constant helo flights to bring out the pot they found, acres of it.

As I stated before, we rarely boondock for a number of reasons, safety being only one. At this point in life I enjoy the amenities campgrounds offer, plus, I enjoy getting to know my camping neighbors.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:56 PM   #68

The National Park Service says there were 116,588 reported offenses in national parks in 2006, the most recent year for which data are available, including 11 killings, 35 rapes or attempted rapes, 61 robberies, 16 kidnappings and 261 aggravated assaults.

I really like the idea of pointing the headlights toward the trailer. I told my wife that one as soon as I saw it. She goes camping without me at least once a year. We bought a couple of LED motion detector lights at Sam's. They are really cheap and you can hang them anywhere. We've never had a problem. We lock up everything when we aren't around. I agree that most locks are for honest people but you have to take reasonable precautions. If you are concerned I wonder if those fake security cameras with the red LED would help deter any problems. I also saw a product that was pepper spray for bears. It was the size of a small fire extinguisher and seems it would stop any person that was trying to do harm. I would think it would be legal to carry since we are campers and it's designed for bears.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:06 PM   #69

I lost my RV keys once and had to break in....it's much harder to get into a RV than a house. It is a royal pain to break in.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:48 AM   #70
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ustabslim View Post
I lost my RV keys once and had to break in....it's much harder to get into a RV than a house. It is a royal pain to break in.
Not if you don't own it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:24 AM   #71

I prepare a different way than most of you.. I "encourage" my wife to take all her makeup off after dark and to also disrobe.. ( her hair is always a mess so I don't mention that) .. If anyone attempts to enter our swamp eagle after dark between her and the dog running, screaming, barking and urinating on the floor " the dog not her I hope".. The intruder will surely change his ways... I hope this helps in your future voyages.. Helpful hints from Dash..

Dash, Marie & Tazzie ( short for the devil from Tazmania) English bull terrier.
2014 Eagle 316RKDS
2008 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4
When I pass on I want it to be like my grandpa in my sleep... Not like the screaming folks in the car with him..
The Dster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:46 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dster View Post
I prepare a different way than most of you.. I "encourage" my wife to take all her makeup off after dark and to also disrobe.. ( her hair is always a mess so I don't mention that) .. If anyone attempts to enter our swamp eagle after dark between her and the dog running, screaming, barking and urinating on the floor " the dog not her I hope".. The intruder will surely change his ways... I hope this helps in your future voyages.. Helpful hints from Dash..
You've got nothing on me!!!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:56 AM   #73

Quote:
I think I can speak for many on here, that we will miss Dster and his comments. But we certainly understand it will take a while for his two broken arms, and swollen eyes to heal enough to allow him to once again type. Ask for colored casts, they are quite becoming.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:00 PM   #74

I prefer to negotiate, but I do post this sign also.
Attached Thumbnails
1517523_695070003866760_1186391458_n.jpg  

Old 03-09-2015, 12:52 PM   #75

Quote:
Pictures or it never happened
Old 03-10-2015, 10:50 AM   #76

I love you US Marine sign. Thanks for serving. That is a great deturrent.

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 02:38 PM   #77

Bottom like here is crime can happen anywhere, anytime and to anybody. Be aware and be prepared.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:52 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1971 View Post
Bottom like here is crime can happen anywhere, anytime and to anybody. Be aware and be prepared.
Very well said.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:03 PM   #79
JOF Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1971 View Post
Me aware and me prepared for anyfing, dg.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:35 PM   #80

Large dogs with excellent hearing and big deep scary sounding barks!
MzLiz is offline   Reply With Quote