Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-01-2015, 06:11 PM   #1

How secure are our campers really

I know when I'm camping in my trailer I feel completely safe. However let's say your camping it is near a prison. There is a news alert saying the prison had an uprising and three prisoners escaped. They are warning people to lock up and stay inside. What would you do to make your camper safer. I got thinking , all outside lights would be on. My camper is the 314 bds with the large back bedroom window. I do have double pane slider windows. But that rear slide in the back I would close. That would make almost impossible to get in. But what else could you do. The reason why I'm asking is training I had. This was a situation gone over, but with a senior citizen park with double wides and trailers. Got me thinking what if it were a campground. I want to protect my family. Protection needs to be carried. But is also not allowed in campgrounds or some states. What more could you do in your camper. Just something on my mind now and something to think about.

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:27 PM   #2

How secure are our campers really

If somebody wants in they will get in... You need to be able to protect your family if they decide to enter your camper... Plenty of legal ways to be prepared.

With that said I have never felt unsafe while camping...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:58 PM   #3
Site Team

Never felt unsafe in many years.
If I did, I'm in the wrong place and I would hope I would know about it before setting up.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:40 PM   #4

not really secure at all...especially because every single trailer compartment on the market is keyed with ch271 keys...
Old 03-01-2015, 07:42 PM   #5

Not mine. I replaced all of my locks.
Todd Klassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:45 PM   #6

That said, I suspect the trailer itself is less safe than you. I wonder how many travel trailer users unhitch while on the road and travel into town or elsewhere...leaving their travel trailer unattended. How many of you do that? How do you protect your travel trailer then?

For personal security I have invested in a shotgun. I also have installed a Simplisafe2 Wireless Home Security System + Siren. It is monitored by cellular telephone signals. And I hope to get one of these to better secure the front door when I leave my trailer:

HAVEN: The Stronger Smarter Home Lock - HOME
Old 03-01-2015, 07:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Klassy View Post
Not mine. I replaced all of my locks.
did you order it differently?
Old 03-01-2015, 07:53 PM   #8

No, I ordered these items to fix that problem:

ILH Tubular Cam Locks (4 locks on the 23RB)
Cam Locks, camlocks, specialty locks, drawer locks, thumb turn, sliding door locks, mini locks

AP Products 015-202290 Black Entrance Door Latch with Keys
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...Q4F4OOR3GD5ELW
Old 03-01-2015, 07:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoPhoto View Post
did you order it differently?

I changed mine too. You can't order it with different locks. You can order them for cheap and their easy to replace.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
I changed mine too. You can't order it with different locks. You can order them for cheap and their easy to replace.
CH545 or J236?
Old 03-01-2015, 08:28 PM   #11

actually the key you were speaking of is really CH "751" not 271. Yes you can change them out. Most door lock assemblies do have proprietary deadbolt keys, however, most of the other locks may have fairly common keys. Just an FYI.

I have been camping at public & private CGs for 30+ years. I have never felt threatened or had anything bothered while camping. It is just a different world at the CGs
TIM
qwed94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:55 PM   #12
Site Team

Let me start by saying I camp every year near a prison. I've never felt unsafe. If an escape ever happened they would notify the surrounding area and the rangers would beef up patrol. I usually camp with friends/relatives so we would all have kids and would group them together on one site and we all have some sort of protection.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:22 PM   #13

locks can never make your trailer or home safe, if a thief wants in, he can get in. windows,even double pane mean nothing. I have never felt unsafe or threatened in a campground,we camped many years in a tent, never felt unsafe in it either
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:25 PM   #14

Locks keep honest people honest. The thieves can get in any time they want.

Prayer has always worked best for me!! :-)

2014 Whitehawk 33BHBS
Equilizer WDH
2023 F350 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7l 3.31
2014 F250 4X4 Crew Cab 6.2 l 3.73 (sold)
2010 F150 4X4 Supercrew 4.6l 3.73 (traded in)
t2daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:40 PM   #15

Having camped for 40 years, in tents, pop ups, class 3, tt etc I have never felt unsafe. But, I also don't do boondocking where I'm alone. I camp in CG with other campers. Also having worked in campgrounds I know people do patrol at least some, if not all of the night. Also most criminals are going to pick a less congested area to try and steal a vehicle or take refuge. Being in a campground where your screams would be heard by dozens of others, it would make no sense to target a camper. As other have said, the police also will be more visible.

I do take all precautions, change locks (which only keep honest people honest) leave nothing out that could be used as a weapon against me, and keep situational awareness around me.

The campers that I have heard of that have been robbed or killed, have always been alone, boon-docking, or in low traffic rest stops. All this being said, i do have the means, and the knowledge, and the will, to protect that which is important to me. I am mentally prepared to do what I must. That is the biggest failure to prepare...mentally. Can you do harm to someone else without thinking...something we all need to dwell on..

Many years ago when I got my first CCW the instructor, a police officer, asked each of us if we could take anthers life. When it came to my turn, I just said, "my government had me kill people I had nothing against, do you really think I would hesitate if my wife or family was in peril". He just smiled and moved on... When a situation happens you have seconds to respond, and no time to think.

I pray it never happens, and the need never arises...but....

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:05 PM   #16

After reading this, we picked up a pie iron at Menards for $9.99 yesterday. It's a heavy one.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:06 PM   #17

I have a license to carry. And I do.

A few years ago a Midnight Bandit attempted to steal the gas from my tow vehicle, but they were smart enough to not come inside. Most fortunate for all of us.

It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:31 PM   #18

I have changed my locks as well . But like said only met to keep honest people honest. I would do whatever it takes to protect my son and wife. I guess I was getting at we should be prepared . It is not something most people think about but situations even fun ones can go bad. I mean allot of people get to a campground and feel it's there babysitter. Kids do what they want while parents drink. I have seen this at super RV resorts down to local nice mom and pop owned. My son is five I do not let him out of my sight. I love camping and font want to be negative and I have multiple trips booked and can't wait to go. But you can't tell me everyone here has not come across that one weird camper. Any way I cannot wait to go Camping

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donedroolin View Post
But you can't tell me everyone here has not come across that one weird camper. Any way I cannot wait to go Camping

That "one weird camper" exists at the bus stop, the gas station, the library, the grocery store, the laundry mat, in the car next to you in 5 o'clock traffic, in the department store, in the restaurant, and yes probably in the campground.

Weird people don't scare me. Weird people shouldn't scare you.

After a decade of working in law enforcement, I've learned that its not the weird people you need to worry about.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:56 PM   #20

Funny. When I moved to Chicago many years ago after having spent most of my life on the farm and in a small town one of my co-workers gave me some advice.

"If you ever feel cornered and threatened, act like a crazy person. Foam from the mouth, talk in gibberish, do whatever it is you have to do to convince the other person you are crazy. Everyone fears crazy people."