Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-19-2016, 04:52 PM   #1

How tight is too tight?

For those of you with experience using the BAL X-CHOCKS, how tight is too tight? I have been using the X-chocks, but wondering if I am putting to much stress on the tires. THANKS FOR ANY INPUT.
FLASHY35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 04:55 PM   #2

There's no such thing as too tight! (Sorry couldn't resist

But in reference to the X-chocks, I just snug them up so there's no wiggle.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:09 PM   #3

X2 on what he said.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:47 AM   #4

I use a 12V electric ratchet to expand mine. After the pads contact the tires well I give the ratchet wrench about 4 more pulls. I make them pretty tight, in the past I would check them a few hours after setting up and they would be loose! Finally figured out that the tires cooled down and shrunk a bit. I think it would be pretty hard to tighten them too tight. When I tighten them I can see the pad push into the tire a bit.
Here is the wrench I use, makes it much easier than the manual ratchet that comes with them. Works good for the stabilizing jacks too!
Milwaukee M12 12-Volt Lithium-Ion 3/8 in. Cordless Ratchet Kit-2457-21 - The Home Depot

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:23 AM   #5

Nice ratchet, but 150.00? Is there an attachment for a regular drill to make that 90 degree turn?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
borninblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:47 AM   #6

I install the chocks with the adjusting screw facing the ground. It gives me allot more room to access the adjusting screw. You might be able to fit a regular drill with socket attachment with the chocks in that position
Old 06-20-2016, 07:03 AM   #7

I snug them up nice and tight, because, as mentioned above, the tires will reduce in size once they cool down.

On a side note, do any of you guys use the x-chocks without regular tire chocks? I personally do, and have never had an x-chock slip. But I appear to be in the minority on the "large" RV forum.

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:14 AM   #8
bap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncw View Post
I snug them up nice and tight, because, as mentioned above, the tires will reduce in size once they cool down.

On a side note, do any of you guys use the x-chocks without regular tire chocks? I personally do, and have never had an x-chock slip. But I appear to be in the minority on the "large" RV forum.
Count me in the minority. I only use the x-chock just make sure they are tight.
bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:09 AM   #9

Quote:

Use both. The regular tire chocks are in place before the TT comes off the hitch and remain there for the rest of the stay.

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:59 AM   #10

Quote:

To the OP: I get mine snug and add probably one turn. I try to get them pretty tight because I would have to climb under my slide to snug up the street-side.

I use both types of chocks as well.

I've never had my trailer move after setup "in the wild". Most of my sites have been very level, so not a lot of worry about the trailer moving, but I still use the chocks. It really only takes a second to deploy them, so why not? And the instructions on the X-Chocks say to use standard wheel chocks in addition.

Last time we were home, I forgot to put down my wedge chocks. My driveway has a little slant to it, nothing crazy, but definitely a grade. Noticed my trailer rocking on the tongue jack quite a bit after unhooking while DW was working in the trailer. After my initial facepalm, I went and put down the chocks. Probably would give DW a full on coronary if that thing fell off the jack! And I would never hear the end of it!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Last time we were home, I forgot to put down my wedge chocks. My driveway has a little slant to it, nothing crazy, but definitely a grade. Noticed my trailer rocking on the tongue jack quite a bit after unhooking while DW was working in the trailer. After my initial facepalm, I went and put down the chocks. Probably would give DW a full on coronary if that thing fell off the jack! And I would never hear the end of it!
Was that with the x-chocks deployed? Admittedly I typically am on a relatively level site, and I would likely use both if the slope was a little steep.

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Was that with the x-chocks deployed? Admittedly I typically am on a relatively level site, and I would likely use both if the slope was a little steep.
No, I don't deploy the X-chocks at home, just the wedge chocks. Though with the gentle slope of my driveway, the X-chocks would probably work.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Last time we were home, I forgot to put down my wedge chocks.
I did the same thing unhooking yesterday. When the trailer came off the hitch it suddenly moved backwards about 3 inches and caused a bit of a heart rate increase... I immediately put down the wedge chocks, moved the TV back, and set the TT back on hitch just enough to straighten out the jack.

When setting up camp, I also use the wedge chocks in addition to the X-chocks. If I had a smaller trailer, I might only use the X-chock, but I'm the cautious type.

They're great at stopping the forward backward motions. TT feels much better with them on. I'd still like to figure out how to get a bit more stable on the side-to-side motions. Preferably without adding more steps to setting up camp...
TrailerScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:32 AM   #14

When I picked up my trailer last week the dealer said not to make them too tight or they will damage the trailer. Yet I don't see any warnings like that here nor any reported incident of this happening. Any truth to "too tight can hurt the trailer"?
Equal i zer 10k w/sway control
Wife, Kid, Entlebucher
EV4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:44 AM   #15

I use one x-chock and use the traditional chocks on the opposite side

2005 Forest River Rockwood 2601 (Sold)
2011 Ford Expedition XLT (Sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler (Just for fun!)
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:37 PM   #16

Thanks for all the input. Because of the height of my trailer, I have started using both the conventional chocks and the x-chocks. I had an incident where the trailer started to roll backwards while attempting get it high enough to hitch up. DW didn't notice as I just (spoke loudly) to let it back down and trying to hold onto the trailer at the same time. Chocks have been put to full use each time since. X-chocks are now installed after unhooking and not released until veh is reattached. THANKS AGAIN
FLASHY35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:24 PM   #17

I don't think it's possible to tighten the X-chocks too tight. When you consider the forces that the trailer's tires, wheels and the rest of the running gear is under while being towed at 60 mph, the forces put on the same components by a chocking device are nothing in comparison, IMHO.

We use home-made X-chocks: two pieces of 4x4 fence post cut at angles, joined together with some threaded rod. They're one of the first things I put in place when unhitching, and once we're done setting up, I check the tightness after the tires have cooled. They always need a little more tightening.

2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:48 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip.....but I still use the chocks. It really only takes a second to deploy them, so why not? And the instructions on the X-Chocks say to use standard wheel chocks in addition......snip
X2

X-Chocks aren't designed to keep a TT from rolling.

There have been reports that under rotational stress (TT rolling, etc.) the X-chocks can dislodge and "snap-outward" from between the tires.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
X2

X-Chocks aren't designed to keep a TT from rolling.

There have been reports that under rotational stress (TT rolling, etc.) the X-chocks can dislodge and "snap-outward" from between the tires.

Bob
Yup, take it from my experience, if you try and move the trailer with the x-chocks still installed, they just spit out the side! One of those DUH moments.
I block the wheels (usually just one side of the trailer only, unless on a steep grade), unhook the trailer and then install the x-chocks.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:38 PM   #20

Yep, don't think you can't pull a set completely out with a truck. I've almost done it and my brother in law has. They kind of stabilize, but will come out. Can't beat old school. We use a combination depending on sites and slope.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote