Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2014, 08:32 AM   #1

Question How to keep your grey water tank from filling so quickly?

We have a 28BHS and find our grey water fills up so quickly it's becoming annoying. Our (seasonal) site has water and hydro hookup, but no sewer so we have to drain our tanks using our portable tote.

Since we are allowed to wash dishes outside, I've started using the outside shower to fill a plastic dishwashing bin and do my dishes outside, but I need to get a table that's adjustable to my height as the little one I currently have is so short it hurts my back. But at least it's one way to save from filling up the grey water tank so quickly.

We do the euro-showers, wet, turn water off, soap up, turn water on and rinse off. Our children (age 3 and 7) have shallow baths, and usually only once a week as they swim so much and rinse off in the outside shower that they really don't need a bath more often than this. We may have to start walking to the public showers, which we can do but it's so much nicer to shower in our own shower.

For convenience, we wash our hands and brush our teeth (using a cup to save water) inside, which adds to our grey water.

Occasionally I wash the dishes inside (i.e. if it's pouring rain outside), but for the most part it's just washing hands, brushing teeth, quick showers (not daily) and baths once a week and we fill our grey tank usually daily.

Are the grey tanks on the 28BHS quite small?
CanadianW's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:41 AM   #2

Your grey tank should have a capacity around 32.5 gallons/123 litres. Certainly should not be filling up daily if you're using as you describe unless you're not able to drain completely. How large is your portable tote? Are you draining the entire tank? And, are you relying on the gauge light to tell you it is full (possibly a bad/dirty sensor) or is water physically backing up in your shower?
Old 07-12-2014, 08:57 AM   #3

32 gallons is not small, not huge either. We are a family of 5 (kids 8, 6, & 2). Our grey tank last ~48 hrs--that's washing dishes inside, taking navy showers, washing hands and brushing teeth regularly in the bathroom sink.

I would love larger grey tank, but using my 25gal barker tote I can easily make room in the grey tank with about 10-15 minutes of effort.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:01 AM   #4

Feel your pain my RV brethren. We are a family of 4 and try as we might we fill our 32 gallon gray tank at least once before the weekend is over. Navy showers, clean dishes in buckets, etc. etc. we have just conceded to the fact that I have to use my tote and drain at least once per trip.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:11 AM   #5

We wash dishes inside but rinse with the outside shower.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:32 PM   #6

If you are basing your decision that the tank is full from the reading of the tank level indicator, most likely it is not full. Ours will read full after a single night if the day is really warm and the night is cool. Moisture in the tan condenses on the walls of the tank and also on the sensors giving a false reading that the tank is full, even when only a couple of gallons have been put in it.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:36 PM   #7

I know of some folks washing things up in a plastic tub sitting in the sink and then dumping that down the toilet to transfer to the black tank... I don't know if that is a good idea or not.

Being in the POPUP world I capture all of my dirty sink water and make several short trips to the campground bath rooms using my two wheeled folding cart and pour them down the toilets haha... It sure is surprising how fast my two 7.5 gallon AQUA-TAINERs totes fills up with sink water.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
If you are basing your decision that the tank is full from the reading of the tank level indicator, most likely it is not full. Ours will read full after a single night if the day is really warm and the night is cool. Moisture in the tan condenses on the walls of the tank and also on the sensors giving a false reading that the tank is full, even when only a couple of gallons have been put in it.

Ours is the same. After two showers it will read full but if you ignore that it took two more showers and a lot of dishwashing before it was truly full.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:43 PM   #9

Canadian ws
Re your grey tank:
We are on a 3 1/2 month trip of North America- what we find than helps is to dump all the dishwaser water into the black tank. This way the black tank gets needed head pressure to dump and the grey tank has more capacity.
Hope this helps and don't release the grey tank until the shower will not drain.
TT 2011 Jay Flight RKS24 (sold)
TV 2010 Ram Laramie 5.7 Litre Hemi 3.55 gears
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400is
jddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:24 AM   #10

Ditto what jddave said. It seems to help keep the black tank fresh too.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:43 AM   #11

Best and most obvious suggestion is to use the CG facilities whenever they are available and not filthy. I hear a lot of people talking about the "comfort" of their own bathroom, but I find most bathhouses in State Parks and decent private CG's to be clean and "private". These are not scout camp facalities with group showers and open toilets. Moving the basic hygene activities out of the RV when possible will greatly extend the life of your G and B holding tanks.

We also have a houseboat that presents similar challenges except that the grey water is discharged back into the water. The most frequent challenge is "fresh" water usage since we have a 150 gallon black tank. When the grandkids are out with us, the rule is that when we run out of water or fill the B tank, we head home. They want to stay out so they tend to listen. W/ the TT, we use the CG facilities when we can. If they are filthy, head to the CG office and get someone to do their job. CG's are competitive and with the internet, a bad review can spread like a wild fire.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:52 AM   #12

So far I have not had a problem, But I have two grey tanks,
I only wash dishes once a day. usually after supper.
Even when the two of us were in the trailer, no problems.
Before the Jayco we had a Comfort no problems there either.
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:56 AM   #13

tv placement

Ok what can I do this TV space?
I want to put the TV on the wall but not stud behind wall
Attached Thumbnails
090.jpg  
Old 07-13-2014, 10:10 AM   #14

We've had the same problem with our grey tank filling in a few days from taking showers, doing dishes, ECG. We found the simple solution was to wait until dark. Then I sneak out and dump the thing in the grass and presto I have an empty grey tank!
lsttype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianW's View Post
We have a 28BHS and find our grey water fills up so quickly it's becoming annoying. Our (seasonal) site has water and hydro hookup, but no sewer so we have to drain our tanks using our portable tote.

Since we are allowed to wash dishes outside, I've started using the outside shower to fill a plastic dishwashing bin and do my dishes outside, but I need to get a table that's adjustable to my height as the little one I currently have is so short it hurts my back. But at least it's one way to save from filling up the grey water tank so quickly.

We do the euro-showers, wet, turn water off, soap up, turn water on and rinse off. Our children (age 3 and 7) have shallow baths, and usually only once a week as they swim so much and rinse off in the outside shower that they really don't need a bath more often than this. We may have to start walking to the public showers, which we can do but it's so much nicer to shower in our own shower.

For convenience, we wash our hands and brush our teeth (using a cup to save water) inside, which adds to our grey water.

Occasionally I wash the dishes inside (i.e. if it's pouring rain outside), but for the most part it's just washing hands, brushing teeth, quick showers (not daily) and baths once a week and we fill our grey tank usually daily.

Are the grey tanks on the 28BHS quite small?
We do use a lot of grey water too. To slow down the grey water production, paper plates, disposable utensils. Collect dishes for night time wash, hospital tubs in each sink fit perfectly, one for the wash and one for the rinse water as well as the other suggestions, navy showers- wet, lather rinse and shut the water off brushing teeth
Jeff61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie oakly View Post
I have the same space, or so it looks. My lCD TV lays down flat on the screen. There is a lip on the front of the shelf. I leave it connected and toss the remote in there too. Set it up right when I set up. It hasn't move in transport ever and it's going on 5 years
Jeff61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:48 AM   #17

How about using some of the grey water to put out your fires at night. I've heard of some people doing this. Just carry a bucket and use it for that. It will help some
Tniss54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:38 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie oakly View Post

How do you know there is no stud behind that wall ? How about the cabinet wall to the right. You could reinforce that area and install a swinging support there. Got to be a way, the small flat screens are very light.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:33 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
How do you know there is no stud behind that wall ? How about the cabinet wall to the right. You could reinforce that area and install a swinging support there. Got to be a way, the small flat screens are very light.
ok I seen to be having problem staying logging on
Stud on either side of the space 24 inches
Have a piece of plywood 5in by 30 will cut it down.
I took a stud finder out to the trailer. and had the dealership check it out.
I will stain the plywood tomorrow night.
Attached Thumbnails
090.jpg  
Old 07-20-2014, 05:23 AM   #20

I remember reading somewhere, that you can combine the grey tank and black tanks together for more capacity, but I can't remember where. It did mention that on early campers, they only had one tank.
Can't say that I would do it, but just FYI
Jimw606 is offline   Reply With Quote