Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-03-2014, 11:13 AM   #1

How to level trailer?

Anyone has a good step-by-step guidance or video that shows how to properly level the trailer? I am new to this and having a hard time.

Thank you.
wguillioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:23 AM   #2

Look at the site when you pull up and try to back in where it is most level. Once you back in check your levels, I have the stick on type, but a lot of people use a 4' level. first level side to side. You need to cut some 2x8's or bigger or get some of those lego blocks, there are other things out there, but I am cheap so I have lumber. This is a trial and error. Pull up on a set on the low side, or back onto them. Now once that is level, chock the tires and unhook and level front to back with your front crank. If your on a very unlevel site you may need to pull the whole trailer up on boards to keep from bottoming out. Once your level front to back put your stabilizers down and your good to go. Do your best to get it perfect, it may seem close until you get in and cabinets wont close or you roll off your bed. it is all a trial and error.

good luck
Chris
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:27 AM   #3
Lost in the Woods

practice practice practice. You could get andersen levelers which seem to help a lot but I like old school..lol

First thing I do is get my trailer roughly into the position I want. Then I will get out my 4 foot level and put it on the side of the trailer. It is trial and error to a point but soon you will get the hang of it. I haven't been anywhere yet that I have need more than 2 lynx pads but those sites are out there that will need many more. I will then lay down a couple end to end and drive on them. Recheck and if close I will adjust with stabs and if need more I back up and put more on. Once you have that adjust the pole jack for level and set down stabilizers.
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #4

1. Purchase a set of Lynx Leveler blocks.
http://www.amazon.com/Tri-Lynx-00015.../dp/B0028PJ10K

2. Back (or pull through) onto your site. Do not unhitch.

3. Using a bubble level determine which side of the camper is too low.

4. Using the blocks position the camper wheel(s) on the blocks to raise the low side. Practice will teach you how many blocks to use.

5. Now that you are level side to side place chocks so the camper cannot roll when unhitched.

6. Unhitch the camper.

7. Using the tongue jack adjust until level front to back.

8. Crank down the stabilizers.

9. Done.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:31 AM   #5
Lost in the Woods

The campground I stay 80percent of the time allows you to pick your site ,set up then go pay. Most just send you to a site. Some that I have tried to get in on I have backed in and simply didn't even try to level it. So I find another site that's better. Most CG are good but there are still quite a few that really need work. If you have one that is really bad ask for another site.
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:38 AM   #6

http://youtu.be/b4JQV15VzBc

I just started using the Andersen levelers, I love them. When we got our new camper I didn't want to haul around a bunch of 2x6's, so far these have worked really well. Here is a short YouTube video. Hope this helps
ghuffman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:02 PM   #7

Cut yourself 8 10" 2/6's and 8 3/4" pieces the same size. The 2x6's will adjust approximately 1 full bubble and the 3/4" adjustment is 1/2 bubble. Will level out just about any reasonably level site. You may want to set up about 1/4 bubble high on the main slide side to compensate for the sway when the slide is extended.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:40 PM   #8

I have the stick on levels and in order to mount them correctly you place your 2' level on the floor and when the trailer is level (side to side) stick that level on the front of the trailer so you see it easily when you get out of the car. The front to rear one is a little different because your refrigerator is the most important factor for its operation. Place a 6-12" level inside the freezer compartment from ( front to rear) and get this one dead on because it should be within 3deg.. Place this one on the side front so when you crank it's not far away.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:01 AM   #9

Thank you everyone!!! Very good ideas!!!
wguillioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:32 AM   #10

A fellow who stores his 5th at the same lot I use put one of these on his pin box so he can see as he's pulling into the pad. I keep thinking about copying his idea but it's pretty low priority as the Bride is pretty good with the stick level.
PPL Motorhomes

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:56 PM   #11

We used 2x4's and 1x4's for over 20 years to level our tent trailers. This year we got a hard sided TT and bought some Andersen levelers to use with it. We love them. They are so much easier to use. We'll never go back to the other way. The video posted by ghuffman3 is a good one to show how they work.
blsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:19 PM   #12

I had the same problem on my first outing. On the way home we stopped at Camping World and picked up a few items. One of which was a pair of stick on levels calibrated in inches. These levels tell you exactly how many inches you need to add under the low side to get level.

When we got home. I leveled the trailer using a 4 foot level on the inside floor. Once it was perfectly level, I stuck on the calibrated levels on the back corner of the trailer near the utility storage where I keep my jacking blocks. My blocks are exactly 1" thick so I can look at the bubble and see how many inches it is out of level left to right before I unhook the tow vehicle. I stack my blocks in front of or behind the wheel on the side that needs raise and run the trailer up onto the blocks. Chock the wheels and I'm half way done. Once I disconnect, I can raise or lower the front end as needed to level front to rear.

My only regret is that I didn't put the front tot rear level near the front so I can see when to stop cranking the jack. With the level at the back, it takes two people or numerous trips between the jack and the back of the trailer to get level front to rear.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:39 PM   #13

Just another type of leveling bubble......I attached mine on the A frame by electric jack and coupler.....I can glance at it before unhooking and it reads the same way as the one in the post above...add by the inch on the low side and then unhook.....level front to back with electric jack and I'm all done.

Hopkins 09715 Hitch Level....Amazon...approx. $17.
Attached Thumbnails
_20140905_172841.jpg  

2014 Jayco White Hawk 30DSQB Summit Edition, Glacier Package
2012 GMC 2500HD Z71 SLT 4WD Crew Cab...DuraMax/Allison....3.73 Rear Axle.
2014 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 LTZ 4WD Crew Cab...Vortec 6.0L V8...3.73 Rear Axle..(traded)
2011 Chevrolet Avalanche...5.3L V8...3.42..(traded)
jtownstumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghuffman3 View Post
http://youtu.be/b4JQV15VzBc

I just started using the Andersen levelers, I love them. When we got our new camper I didn't want to haul around a bunch of 2x6's, so far these have worked really well. Here is a short YouTube video. Hope this helps
I've used wood block and the Lynx levelers. They can be a real PITA. I just checked out this video and I will be buying the Anderson levelers the first chance I get.

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
2009 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 256RKS
2007 Jayflight 20BH
1997 Fleetwood Cheyenne PUP
1984 Rockwood 1080 - PUP 1969 Coleman PUP
gcloss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, level