Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #1

How to level TT front to back ??

Got a 2015 Jayflight 26RLS. Trying to level the TT front to back for towing and camp set up.
I notice that a small level on the TT hitch does not agree with the 4' level on the floor of the TT.
What method should be used to get her level ??
Mike
Mikeos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:20 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I use a 3' level on my floor just inside my entry door...., haven't had good luck with those stick-on bubble levels. Use the same level for side-to-side as well.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:26 PM   #3

A small level on the hitch will not always work since the will always be a slight amount of flex in the "A" frame. As RE said the level on the floor is best option, but I always had good luck with the higher quality bubble levels attached to the box on the corners. As long as the TT is level when you attach them you should be good to go if you decide on adding them.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:29 PM   #4

Thanks men . What is funny is that Jayco told me that "top of ball on the TT hitch is 23 3/4" level.
When I use the 4' Level on the floor of the TT , top of ball is more like 28" !
Old 04-28-2014, 12:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
I use a 3' level on my floor just inside my entry door...., haven't had good luck with those stick-on bubble levels. Use the same level for side-to-side as well.

Bob
x2
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:32 PM   #6

What kind of level is it on the hitch? If it's the one attached to the top of your power tongue jack, just touch it and you'll understand why it is not accurate. It is there as a plug for the access to the manual operation of the power jack; it's usage as a level is purely cosmetic.

We have the ones that stick to the side of the TT, but we haven't implemented them yet as we keep forgetting to install them when we're all leveled up. We use a small torpedo level on the floor right inside the main entry door and take the measurement from 2-3 different spots and try to pull a good average (it's a small level...)

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeos View Post
Thanks men . What is funny is that Jayco told me that "top of ball on the TT hitch is 23 3/4" level.
When I use the 4' Level on the floor of the TT , top of ball is more like 28" !
If your rig is leveled on unlevel terrain, you could get a very high (or very low) coupler height. If you're on unlevel terrain, the best way to measure coupler height (and perhaps all the time in general) is to take measurement from the bottom of the frame at all 4 corners, then as long as you're on a straight unlevel piece of ground (like a slightly sloped driveway), the coupler height still measures "level" relative to the TT.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 04-28-2014, 12:36 PM   #8

I also use a level on the floor, mine's about 18". Seems to work fine. I also have the stick-on levels that I've never installed.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:49 PM   #9

I had a 10" metal level on the hitch and I was on level ground in my driveway and at the truck stop.
I wondered about measuring from ground to frame , front and back but I am sure that frame has some flex to it.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:12 PM   #10

Jayco told me the ball height of my 2013 26rls travel trailer is 25". Jeesh, you'd think have that information.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:09 PM   #11

In the past I've used stick-on & screw-on bubble levels & even the rolling ball levels, but my preference is a carpenters level (mine is 24") placed inside the door for side to side and front to back leveling. It may just be a matter of what you think works best for you. The large rolling ball in liquid level that mounts on the front of the RV is convenient in that sometimes you can level the trailer by simply moving forward or backwards a little while watching the ball in your rearview mirror and not have to mess with leveling ramps.
2013 Jayco Premier 321 RLTS w/Atwood Levelegs (now removed)
ckdixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:31 PM   #12

My routine...(FWIW)

When my TT is placed (after checking the distances to the hook-ups) - I hop out and put a 2' level on the rear bumper (@ every 1/4" out of level in 2' = 1 Lynx Block under the low side wheel(s)). Throw down the Lynx Blocks (if needed) and back on. Chock the ground wheel(s), unhitch, throw the 2' level on the A-frame and level front to back with the tongue jack.

The 2' level fits perfect in my Entertainment Cabinet just inside the door.
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:10 PM   #13

Always use a 4' level inside the door as I too have had trouble with bubble levels on the corners.
tanracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:00 PM   #14

If it's an over night stop I use the stick on levels. When we stay for a while I use the 3 footer.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:28 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post

Bob
x3, but I use a small Stanley torpedo level instead- conveniently stored in one of the kitchen drawers.

However, my true test for whether the coach is level is rather unconventional, but requires no level at all.

For front-to-back leveling, I open my entrance door perpendicular (90 degrees) to the side of the TT. If the door:
  • Swings to the front- Raise the front.
  • Swings to the rear- Lower the front
  • Doesn't swing at all- Either you're level or the door needs lubricated.

For side-to-side leveling, find a cabinet that's mounted on a width wall of your coach (I use the medicine cabinet that's in the bathroom on the rear wall of my TT) and, again, open its door perpendicular (90 degrees) to the side of the TT. If the door:
  • Swings to the left (driver's side) of the coach- Raise the left side.
  • Swings to the right (passenger's side) of the coach- Raise the right side.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:33 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
x3, but I use a small Stanley torpedo level instead- conveniently stored in one of the kitchen drawers.

However, my true test for whether the coach is level is rather unconventional, but requires no level at all.

For front-to-back leveling, I open my entrance door perpendicular (90 degrees) to the side of the TT. If the door:
  • Swings to the front- Raise the front.
  • Swings to the rear- Lower the front

For side-to-side leveling, find a cabinet that's mounted on a width wall of your coach (I use the medicine cabinet that's in the bathroom on the rear wall of my TT) and, again, open its door perpendicular (90 degrees) to the side of the TT. If the door:
  • Swings to the left (driver's side) of the coach- Raise the left side.
  • Swings to the right (passenger's side) of the coach- Raise the right side.
Good method. Except that you can't guarantee the cabinets that the doors were mounted to were installed plumb and level with the floor. You'd like to hope so, but you never know (unless you measure), so the floor really is the best place to determine the rig's true level.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 04-29-2014, 11:11 AM   #17

I just put a 2-way level on the hitch after leveling the camper side to side and front to rear using a carpenters level on the floor. I didn't use the A frame coupler for level indiction because it was off from the floor. I did compare the A frame rails to the floor and they indicated the same.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:44 PM   #18

I wouldn't rely on the disc level on the tongue jack. It may tell you if the jack is level, but will rarely give an accurate reading for the rest of the trailer. And I wouldn't use a level on either the dinette table or the countertops, as they might not be level with the floor. The trailer floor between the tongue jack and the axel(s) is the best spot to place your level, provided your floor does not have swells, blisters, or other ridges that will throw the level off. I carry both a 7" torpedo level and a 2' carpenters level. The 2' carpenters level is more accurate than the torpedo, yet still stores well, and fits better in tight RV floor spaces than a 4'r. For quick leveling while in the driveway for packing/unpacking, I use the torpedo level just because it's easy. For longer stays, I use the 2'er, because I want it a little "truer" - mainly for comfort. Personal comfort is the main reason we want our rigs level, and some people are more sensitive to "out-of-level" than others. Proper leveling is important for proper refrigerator operation, but todays RV refers allow for pretty liberal deviation from true level. (See your owners manual for allowances.) Other leveling concerns are proper door operation, alignment & latch operation, and proper sink and tub/shower drainage. In my old trailer, I found both my kitchen sink and bathtub would drain better if the nose was slightly higher and there was a slight downhill slope toward the door. I don't have enough experience in the new one to know for sure, but I suspect nose slightly high and level side-to-side will work best.

I guess you asked what time it was, and I sort of told you how to build a clock. Just pick up a moderately-priced level and play around with it. After a few outings, you'll see what works best for your camper and your campers.

Happy Camping!
B
Old 04-29-2014, 06:59 PM   #19

the leveler on the power jack is a joke!
2017 Jayco Jayflight 28bhbe Elite and thermal package
2014 Jayco White Hawk 28dsbh(traded in)
mesuezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:48 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Good method. Except that you can't guarantee the cabinets that the doors were mounted to were installed plumb and level with the floor. You'd like to hope so, but you never know (unless you measure), so the floor really is the best place to determine the rig's true level.
I usually do use the floor when leveling and there is a difference in readings between it and the countertop of my galley. Based on that, the best advice I could recommend is to use whatever is known to be level in your coach- whether it be the floor or something else.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote