Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-27-2016, 03:20 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickeneye View Post
Awesome thank you. I will get on Amazon now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If you need any part numbers hit me up on PM and I can send you what I ended up with....I researched every single purchase for 16 long weeks

*Edit - I added a few more items to the list on the previous page, typing on my phone is a slow process....
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 03:21 PM   #22

Did you get a 30-20 or 30-15? I don't think I have any 20a outlets at my residence or is it more for generator usage?

Chickeneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 03:22 PM   #23

Yeah you're right - 30A to 15A

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
Old 11-27-2016, 03:26 PM   #24

Don't forget wheel chokes. Congrats
87Yugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 05:53 PM   #25

Ah I did forget those but will get them ordered. I'm super excited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2016, 06:59 PM   #26

Glad to hear your FJ pulled the HB good. I have airbags installed already on my Jeep plus a ton of other mods. Thank you for the info on the WDH also. What size self tapping screws did you use?

Old 11-27-2016, 07:06 PM   #27

5/16" hex head self tappers.

I tried reusing the Phillips head self tappers that the factory had but couldn't get them to drill. Where you have to slide the brake box forward it's double layered steel. If you brought along some really small drill bits you could reuse the factory screws.

Old 11-29-2016, 02:53 PM   #28

Whats the rack that you put on the front from Lippert??
I like the bluetooth leveling system that might be in my future.
rkboyer911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:42 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkboyer911 View Post
Whats the rack that you put on the front from Lippert??
I like the bluetooth leveling system that might be in my future.
It's the factory bike rack option from Jayco.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:24 PM   #30

So our first trip will be around the first of January. We will be dry camping in a full hook-up spot and using the campground's bathroom/shower facilities because I'm too lazy to re-winterize .

I have a 2-setting electric ceramic heater that's 750W/1500W and our TT has a 30-amp service. The camp site is a 30/50A and I have a 30-50A dog bone adapter as well.

My biggest question is about propane. I'm planning to run the electric heater to supplement the main propane furnace. So we will be set up for 3 days and the temperatures will likely be low 40's during the day and low 30's or so at night. We will only be using the propane for heat and cooking. The tank is full, but it's fairly small (20 lbs). We keep our house set to around 67-68F during the winter, so we are used to living in what a lot of people say is a very cold house. Also, our TT has the enclosed underbelly with the silver bubble type insulation, I doubt it makes a huge difference, but it might help as compared to the open belly base model?

Do you all think that a full tank of propane will last for a 3-day camping trip? If need be, I also have our Coleman camp grill packed in the storage and we can cook with it to conserve the TT propane.

I'm pretty sure they have the capability of refilling propane bottles on site at the campground, but I'm just curious on what to expect.

Also on the note of not wanting to re-winterize. For the late night trips to the restroom in cold weather (#1 that is), why couldn't we just use the TT toilet and use a gallon jug of water to flush with, then empty the black tank into the campsite sewer connection and dump a gallon of the pink anti-freeze down the toilet before we leave for home to re-winterize the black tank? Right now all that's in the black tank is a little bit of pink anti-freeze from the intial winterization prior to me picking the TT up at the dealership a few weeks ago.

Thanks!

Old 12-05-2016, 04:13 PM   #31

Yesterday was my first time winterizing the hummy.
Easy enough. Had to do this as the temperature is dipping below zero for a few days this week, most inconvenient!

We are heading out for four nights just after Christmas, also to a full hook-up spot. But I am going to de-winterize as it will be even easier to re-winterize on the spot, and I am too lazy to go to the camp showers, loo etc.
Great having an electric heater, I found on our last outing it was more than enough to keep us warm. (Night temperatures went down to 3 degrees C). Don't underestimate that underbelly insulation; it does make a big difference.
You should be fine with 20lbs for 3 days. (There are about 90,000 BTUs in a gallon of propane.) I did a lot of working out to see how long ours would last, turns out it is ample. (13k BTU's per hour furnace x 3 hrs per day running time).
We have been out for five nights so far, used the stove top and the furnace and still have 11 lbs left in the tank. (approx.)

I think for the cost of a couple of gallons for the pink stuff and the 25 minutes it takes to do it is well worth the comforts of the mini home!
One thing I did miss and had to go back for when I was winterizing, was that bloody city water valve. I forgot to add a bit of pink stuff to the valve. I'm sure it would have been fine.....
The other part for those about to winterize the hummingbird for the first time, you need a 15/16th socket to remove the hot water release nut. Deep socket or an extension. I couldn't find anywhere that had this listed for the Atwood 6 gallon heater.

Have fun on your first trip!
RufusBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:44 PM   #32

I should take possession of my HB this week. It was supposed to be here today but not yet. May have to make a YouTube video on how to winterize the HB. I have noticed there are not many HB videos on YouTube other then dealerships.

If anyone has any pointers lemme know.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:53 PM   #33

True, HB's are so new. Lots of R-Pod vids.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:20 PM   #34

RufusBC, Where did you go? I am not planning to go out till April. But thanks for all the info cause it really takes the guess work out.
87Yugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:56 AM   #35

Wow!!Kind of overwhelming. Obviously you are a DYI kind of guy with a plan. You didn't say anything about previous experience with RV's but one thing I would suggest is " Cool it" for now and hold off on additional mods until you have taken the new TT out a couple times. You can spend a lot of $$ [as you know by now] on add-ons and down the road you might sit back and say I really didn't need this or that. That little tt is loaded with stuff that the big boys have and things that will be tough to leave behind in a few years when you decide to upgrade.

My rule when we upgraded to our White Hawk 3 years ago,was jump on the things I knew I wanted and hold off on everything else. Don't trim the tree until you get it set up in the corner.

Some ??'s I have are: 1] why the installed EMS when a portable one could go with you when you upgrade later. 2] Back up camera's on a TT still don't eliminate the value of a good spotter. Can't focus on a screen and still pay attention to your spotter. 3] Tongue mounted level looks nice but I would break that thing in the first outing. Just as easy and accurate to use the corner stick ons and a whole lot cheaper.

Not taking shots at anything you've done, just suggesting a new RVers should get a few nights under their belt before going hog wild at Camping World.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:35 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Wow!!Kind of overwhelming. Obviously you are a DYI kind of guy with a plan. You didn't say anything about previous experience with RV's but one thing I would suggest is " Cool it" for now and hold off on additional mods until you have taken the new TT out a couple times. You can spend a lot of $$ [as you know by now] on add-ons and down the road you might sit back and say I really didn't need this or that. That little tt is loaded with stuff that the big boys have and things that will be tough to leave behind in a few years when you decide to upgrade.

My rule when we upgraded to our White Hawk 3 years ago,was jump on the things I knew I wanted and hold off on everything else. Don't trim the tree until you get it set up in the corner.

Some ??'s I have are: 1] why the installed EMS when a portable one could go with you when you upgrade later. 2] Back up camera's on a TT still don't eliminate the value of a good spotter. Can't focus on a screen and still pay attention to your spotter. 3] Tongue mounted level looks nice but I would break that thing in the first outing. Just as easy and accurate to use the corner stick ons and a whole lot cheaper.

Not taking shots at anything you've done, just suggesting a new RVers should get a few nights under their belt before going hog wild at Camping World.
1. The EMS is out of sight and out of mind and it would take all of 10 minutes to unistall it and take it with me if my next TT happens to be a 30-amp unit. I didn't want to deal with a portable and the weather, theft concerns, etc. Portable was $231.99 and the one I bought was $228.00, so there was no upcharge to go to one with a remote display, which I personally prefer.

2. I wanted a camera to assist in backing into the parking spot at home, it's challenging to see where you're backing at that particular location. Same reason for the LED back-up lights, we live in the woods and there's no light down at our parking pad, so without lights it would be very difficult to get the TT backed in at night.

3. The mount is solid and there's no activities required in that area that would cause it to get broken by me. There's also no flat (vertical) spots on the front of our TT to mount a stick-on. Plus this is a secondary level to our LevelMate Pro. The level was $24, so I'm not overly worried about it.

I bought what I wanted for our TT, there are several things that I have opted to wait for until we can determine if we need or want them.

I have had a pop-up camper for years and I literally grew up in a 26' GMC motorhome, we were on the road more than at home growing up. We are also avid tent campers and campers in general, so I have a good idea on what I want / need.

This isn't a TT to get started with, we have waited several years to make this purchase and we will easily have it for years to come, we both drive paid off vehicles, one purchased new and the other purchased over six years ago, I owned my previous truck for 12 years. We stick with what we purchase for a long time, we're not the type who trade things in every few years.

I respect the input and understand where you're coming from, but this is who I am and how I roll.....I modify things.

Along those lines......so I was bored and decided that we would need a paper towel holder. Since I didn't like anything that was commercially available I decided to forge my own. My goal was to make it solid, but keep it compact and light weight.

We should have the color on it by the weekend, so I'll post up a completed picture because it will look substantially better once my wife works her magic on it.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:47 AM   #37

Beautiful work on the paper towel holder. We tried a counter-top model for a while, and I hated it. Eventually mounted one under the cabinet above the sink. Now I can get a towel easily with one hand. I'm thinking of mounting another one in the outside storage compartments somewhere and putting a roll of shop towels on it. I use them constantly, and it's always a pain to dig the roll out of my bin when I've got "goo" on my hands.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:51 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Beautiful work on the paper towel holder. We tried a counter-top model for a while, and I hated it. Eventually mounted one under the cabinet above the sink. Now I can get a towel easily with one hand. I'm thinking of mounting another one in the outside storage compartments somewhere and putting a roll of shop towels on it. I use them constantly, and it's always a pain to dig the roll out of my bin when I've got "goo" on my hands.
Yeah we have a lot of free countertop space and very little under counter space and no overhead to mount to. That's why I opted for a free-standing. It can come outside or sit inside and when not in use thrown in a storage bin.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:05 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Yugo View Post
RufusBC, Where did you go? I am not planning to go out till April. But thanks for all the info cause it really takes the guess work out.
Hey 87Yugo - so far it has been just local, to get the feel and set up just right. I will PM you with some details.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:59 PM   #40

Got confirmation that my HB was delivered to the dealership and I will pick it up on Monday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk