Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-09-2016, 02:07 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickeneye View Post
Got confirmation that my HB was delivered to the dealership and I will pick it up on Monday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congrats!

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:46 PM   #42

our 20 lb propane tank lasted three weeks continuous.. We did use the furnace some mornings ( about six). With such a small space it takes no time to warm up. And the furnace does not run constantly.

I think you are good to go there.

We too are cold camping in Feb.. I am loathe to hook up to freshwater though ( it will be city water). I fear overnight it will freeze.

We too have our unit winterized and its not terribly hard to unwinterize it and redo it.. but for enroute to FL in cold conditions I think we may try to use campground showers and bathrooms and not use freshwater. For years we tented and hauled water. We can still do that. And inside contain it in a dishpan before disposal.. I'd like to hear about what others think re the antifreeze.. up it?

And try to dispose of it thoughtfully less we make someone else slide on our ice rink that we create.

During our road trip we carried an extra tank for when we did run out and it might be inconvenient to find a fill

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 04:29 PM   #43

I was thinking about changing my bottle over to a 30Lb tank I have a couple laying around.
rkboyer911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:50 PM   #44

Finally got the 50-amp service finished up and water sleeved across the driveway to the TT.

And in the spirit of "cooling it"......I'm getting ready to install an ARP refrigerator safety controller with dual fans

Old 12-23-2016, 08:05 AM   #45

Finished installing the ARP controller and fans yesterday, still have to hook up the boiler safety switch after I figure out if I've properly identified the pilot flame interrupter switch. These little blowers move a lot of air and are really quiet. I added some automotive 2-pin plugs so that the fans can easily be disconnected for removal of the outside vent covers.

Since we only have 2-way refrigerators, Jayco opted to not run 12vdc out to the service compartments, but I was able to find a constant 12vdc feed in the compartment below the refrigerator inside and brought it out to the 12v +/- tabs on the power distribution block.

I was kind of surprised to learn that it had no fan installed outside from the factory and only relied on natural ventilation. I can see potential problems with this design when camping in the warmer weather, especially with my added bug screen.

I also installed a wireless Engel temperature sensor inside the refrigerator, I've had good luck with the one in my Engel refrigerator.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:07 PM   #46

My better half has successfully prettied up my work once again .

Old 01-02-2017, 06:06 PM   #47

Just got back from our first camping trip, we stayed at the KOA in Townsend, TN in the Smoky Mountains for three nights. It is a great campground.

Had a wonderful time, even though we dry camped to prevent having to re-winterized, it was very comfortable and sure beats a tent! It got down to 28F on Friday night and we stayed warm with a combination of the portable electric ceramic heater and the furnace set on a low setting. Kept the black tank to liquids only and flushed with a bottle of water. I put about a gallon of anti-freeze in the black tank prior to departing for the trip. Drained the tank this morning and flushed it with water through the toilet.

The memory foam mattress topper made sleeping better than at home.

This trip gave us a good idea of what few items we still need, one of the biggest things was something to hold toilet paper. I decided to make a simple bracket out of a flat piece of 1" x 1/8" aluminum and mounted it to the sink out of the way using S.S. bolts. Since it is in a wet bath I decided to not forge something out of steel.

The only other item we want is a hook rack beside the door for hanging keys and other random things.

Hit the CAT scales and the FJ is about 200 lbs. under GVWR and the TT is sitting at 3,700 lbs. loaded, so it's about 50 lbs. under GVWR. Tongue weight came just shy of 500 lbs. So we are unfortunately maxed out, but I'll be getting a GMC 2500 Duramax later this year. The FJ pulled amazingly well and I had to keep catching myself and slowing back down to 65 MPH.

I'm sold on the Andersen No-Sway hitch and the rear view camera is by far the best mod I've done. It's so nice to see what's coming up behind you and on each side, the camera is very clear and reception was perfect. It's really handy when you have people who like to fly up on you in the slow lane and then whip around at the last second.
Attached Thumbnails
tct1.JPG   tct2.JPG   tp1r.JPG   tp2r.JPG  

Old 01-02-2017, 08:08 PM   #48

Forgive me if I missed it in the previous posts, but did you get a hard wired or wireless backup camera?

I'm wanting to get one for my 2017 Jayco Octane 222. They say it's prewired for a camera but I'm not sure what that actually means.

Thanks.
Mbranscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:37 PM   #49
Site Team

Nice mods, you have been busy!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:02 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbranscum View Post
Forgive me if I missed it in the previous posts, but did you get a hard wired or wireless backup camera?

I'm wanting to get one for my 2017 Jayco Octane 222. They say it's prewired for a camera but I'm not sure what that actually means.

Thanks.
On our Hummingbird "pre-wired" meant absolutely nothing. The factory said that there might be a switch in the front storage compartment (which there wasn't) and it would definitely have a wire tapped off of the rear center marker light (which there wasn't). Jayco should really remove the "rear camera prepped" statement from the description of the Hummingbird on their website because it's completely false. Talked to two engineers at Jayco and neither could tell me definitively what the "prepped for rear camera" actually meant.....

I ended up tapping a wire off of the rear center marker light so anytime I have the parking lights and/or headlights turned on we have rear view camera.

I got a wireless from Amazon -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01B2...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 01-14-2017, 04:37 PM   #51

During our last camping trip there were a few minor things that I needed to change up.

The first one being the furnace thermostat. Since we use an electric ceramic heater for primary heat and the furnace as supplement, it was hard to know what temperature I was setting the furnace for with the factory t-stat. I kept waking up having to turn the furnace setting lower.

So today I added a Honeywell TH1100DV1000 heating-only t-stat that's backlit and powered by two AAA batteries. This new t-stat works great and now I can set it to 50F and forget about it on these cold nights of camping. It had two temperature range settings so I chose the low temp setting that gives it a control range of 35F-90F. I think it's wonderful upgrade for $28.

The other thing we needed was a good place to hang keys and dog leashes, so I found this nice laser cut metal bear key holder....because every camper needs a bear ! Since there's a lot of wiring coming up in the wall from the floor, I opted to hang it using double sided tape instead of screws. I picked up some 3M VHB 4910 tape, this stuff is sticky!
Attached Thumbnails
tstat.JPG   key rack.JPG  

Old 01-14-2017, 04:51 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
During the walk-thru I noticed that the black plastic trim piece on the top of the refrigerator door was cloudy white. The service advisor said that it was from the clear protective film and that it would wipe off with cleaner.

I've tried goofoff and it didn't touch it, I'm thinking that it's something that may not be able to be wiped off. I scrubbed pretty hard with a cloth and it didn't really make much improvement.

Anyone have any advice / opinions?

Thanks.

Forgot to follow up on this - A couple days after this original post I contacted my dealer and a few days later I was swapping my door out for a brand new one covered under warranty. They are a great dealership and instead of making me drag our TT 45 miles one way for them to change it out, they let me remove the door and bring it to them. It takes a flat head screw driver and about 30 seconds to remove/install the door.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:29 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
During our last camping trip there were a few minor things that I needed to change up.

The first one being the furnace thermostat. Since we use an electric ceramic heater for primary heat and the furnace as supplement, it was hard to know what temperature I was setting the furnace for with the factory t-stat. I kept waking up having to turn the furnace setting lower.

So today I added a Honeywell TH1100DV1000 heating-only t-stat that's backlit and powered by two AAA batteries. This new t-stat works great and now I can set it to 50F and forget about it on these cold nights of camping. It had two temperature range settings so I chose the low temp setting that gives it a control range of 35F-90F. I think it's wonderful upgrade for $28.

The other thing we needed was a good place to hang keys and dog leashes, so I found this nice laser cut metal bear key holder....because every camper needs a bear ! Since there's a lot of wiring coming up in the wall from the floor, I opted to hang it using double sided tape instead of screws. I picked up some 3M VHB 4910 tape, this stuff is sticky!

Where did you find the key holder- I love it?!?

2017 Hummingbird 17RK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
paggy00271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:41 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by paggy00271 View Post
Where did you find the key holder- I love it?!?

2017 Hummingbird 17RK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Shop By Category - Key Hooks - Antler Shed Creations Metal Wall Art

Old 01-19-2017, 07:18 AM   #55

I am very curious about the Anderson No-Sway hitch. I am towing my 17RK with a 2016 Chevy Colorado V-6, Auto w/ Towing package. Do you think you would want that hitch with my set-up? Thanks!
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:21 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
I am very curious about the Anderson No-Sway hitch. I am towing my 17RK with a 2016 Chevy Colorado V-6, Auto w/ Towing package. Do you think you would want that hitch with my set-up? Thanks!

I love mine. I am pulling my 17RB with my Jeep Wrangler and I got no bucking or swaying and distributed the weight to the front end perfect.

Chickeneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:40 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickeneye View Post
I love mine. I am pulling my 17RB with my Jeep Wrangler and I got no bucking or swaying and distributed the weight to the front end perfect.

Same-same with mine, love it! Simple and highly effective at both WD and anti-sway.

I think the HB is in the sweet spot size/weight wise for the Andersen 'No-Sway' WD hitch.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:47 AM   #58

Now that I've completed the 50-amp electric service install, the next project is to build a 16' wide x 24' deep timber frame shelter for the HB.

I just completed the plans in AutoCAD, the entire project is going to come in under $2k.

I have a friend cutting out the 3/16" thick scissor truss tie plates on his CNC plasma table now and I'll start ground drilling for the 6x6 post as soon as it dries up a little around here.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:58 AM   #59

Which model of Anderson No-sway hitch do I order for the HB? Also, I would love to see a pic of the spare tire mount as I'd like to add one. Thanks!
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:02 AM   #60

Andersen - Part #3324

Best picture I have -