Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-06-2016, 09:36 PM   #1

Hummingbird Issues

I bought the Hummingbird and have been on 2 trips now. Both times out the heater fan kicked on. Why does the heater fan turn on when the propane and thermostat are off? Is this something I should be worried about? Also, the fan down by the fuse box comes on periodically too. Also, I to like others here in the forum have the molding issues coming down over the bed area. What is the best way to fix this? But the other things wrong, like the USB ports not working, the fan in the bathroom stopped working, blowing the 30amp fuse up by the batteries after every trip and finally why do my batteries keep draining? I noticed when we shut the trailer down completely that the radio system is still lit up, is this normal? I have already fixed the Furion DVD system, someone forgot to remove the screws in the DVD area. We really like this trailer because it is the perfect size for my husband and I. We love all the bells and whistles, but every time we go out, something new pops up. Any suggestions? I have an appointment for the dealer next week, and if I can handle a lot of these problems myself I thing I will get my trailer back quicker than the two to three weeks that they promised.
sfalciani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:16 PM   #2

I do know the fan in the fuse box comes on and off periodically. That is normal to keep the inverter cool.
The heater fan shouldn't come on if the thermostat is off.
The radio will constantly draw power even when everything is off. I would recommend installing a battery cut off switch which disconnects everything from drawing any power when off or like me I just leave it plugged into shore power at home when not in use. Keeps battery always charged.
The fan in bathroom sounds like a defect, never had trouble with mine.
Your 30 amp fuse should not keep blowing, I've never blown one. Might have a bad ground somewhere which also could be why your usb ports don't work.
My plugins and usb don't work unless plugged into shore power or generator. They won't work just on battery.
Hopefully your dealer helps you out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:19 PM   #3

lots of questions; what make and model furnace do you have? I have not heard of any furnace fans turning on with the heat turned off. The fan at the fuse box should turn on and off as needed to keep the converter cool.

Molding, I had one piece come loose, it just needed a couple brads to re-secure it.

Fuse; do you have an electric tongue jack? does the fuse blow while using it, and does it blow when you get to the end of travel? If so, this is a common complaint. You can purchase at an automotive parts store, a replacement 30 amp circuit breaker fuse. it will reset automatically after a short time.

Bathroom fan, are you turning it on/off at the ceiling or at the wall switch? Make sure you have both switches to the on position? Then only use the wall switch.

USB port, I have heard lots of complaints about them, it may need to be replaced.

Unless you have a master power disconnect on the battery, there are a number of parasite power drains. Depending on the TT, the radio, CO detector, refrigerator are the most common. If you do not disconnect the battery or have the TT plugged in the battery will be drained in the matter of a few weeks. It is best to pull the 30 amp master fuse or utilize a master disconnect switch.

Happy Camping

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 05:04 AM   #4

I used Gorilla two sided tape and it has been holding great. One thing on power is by the TV is the antenna power switch it quite a bit of power also.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:40 AM   #5

lots of questions; what make and model furnace do you have? 18,000-BTU Atwood® furnaceI have not heard of any furnace fans turning on with the heat turned off. The fan at the fuse box should turn on and off as needed to keep the converter cool. Understand

Molding, I had one piece come loose, it just needed a couple brads to re-secure it.

Fuse; do you have an electric tongue jack?
Yes does the fuse blow while using it No , and does it blow when you get to the end of travel? Yes If so, this is a common complaint. You can purchase at an automotive parts store, a replacement 30 amp circuit breaker fuse. it will reset automatically after a short time. Understand

Bathroom fan, are you turning it on/off at the ceiling or at the wall switch?
Wall Make sure you have both switches to the on position? I will check Then only use the wall switch.

USB port, I have heard lots of complaints about them, it may need to be replaced.
Understand

Unless you have a master power disconnect on the battery, there are a number of parasite power drains. Depending on the TT, the radio, CO detector, refrigerator are the most common. If you do not disconnect the battery or have the TT plugged in the battery will be drained in the matter of a few weeks. It is best to pull the 30 amp master fuse or utilize a master disconnect switch.
Understand
Old 11-07-2016, 03:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfalciani View Post
I bought the Hummingbird and have been on 2 trips now. Both times out the heater fan kicked on. Why does the heater fan turn on when the propane and thermostat are off? Is this something I should be worried about? Also, the fan down by the fuse box comes on periodically too. Also, I to like others here in the forum have the molding issues coming down over the bed area. What is the best way to fix this? But the other things wrong, like the USB ports not working, the fan in the bathroom stopped working, blowing the 30amp fuse up by the batteries after every trip and finally why do my batteries keep draining? I noticed when we shut the trailer down completely that the radio system is still lit up, is this normal? I have already fixed the Furion DVD system, someone forgot to remove the screws in the DVD area. We really like this trailer because it is the perfect size for my husband and I. We love all the bells and whistles, but every time we go out, something new pops up. Any suggestions? I have an appointment for the dealer next week, and if I can handle a lot of these problems myself I thing I will get my trailer back quicker than the two to three weeks that they promised.

Make sure heater switch is hard right , you should hear a click. Blower is below bed in that open space. Overhead unit is AC and Fan only . Fan by fuse box is cooling fan for inverter. USB ports are a problem, mine pulled out on first trip. Would like to know fix or why dealer does. Fuse blown , is it related to using tongue jack? Blew mine second trip, if you go past that line when going up it blows. Battery will draw unless you pull the fuse at the front of the trailer(it is hanging off a junction box) or install an after market switch.

paulandkaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:17 PM   #7

Quote:

Also bathroom fan is on a double switch, make sure switch on the wall is on, and then you can toggle on and off at the fan

Old 11-07-2016, 03:35 PM   #8

x2 on what has been said. To clarify though, look at your heater thermostat. You cannot just move the temp select lever to the lowest temperature can call it off. There should be a switch underneath the T-stat or at the bottom of the T-stat which you can move to an off position.
Tongue jack -- since it is a power tongue, do not run it to its stops.... You should never have to run it to it upper or lower extremes. It will blow fuses every time. When raising your tongue jack for towing, you just need to raise it enough to be higher than the weight distribrution bars (if you have them) or about an inch below the bottom of the trailer hitch frame.
As someone said, (and you can check this out at home or wherever) regarding the USB ports. When the trailer is plugged in to shore power, do they work then, and just not work when you are not plugged in?

The easy way to protect your batteries, (if you are able to) just leave the trailer plugged in while you are at home. Otherwise, either get a battery cutoff switch or remove the main inline fuse from the battery.

Finally, just a fair notice, if you have found the batteries run down dead a couple of times, you may have severely cut the service life of the battery and may want to get a replacement.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
x2 on what has been said. To clarify though, look at your heater thermostat. You cannot just move the temp select lever to the lowest temperature can call it off. There should be a switch underneath the T-stat or at the bottom of the T-stat which you can move to an off position.

Tongue jack -- since it is a power tongue, do not run it to its stops.... You should never have to run it to it upper or lower extremes. It will blow fuses every time. When raising your tongue jack for towing, you just need to raise it enough to be higher than the weight distribrution bars (if you have them) or about an inch below the bottom of the trailer hitch frame.

As someone said, (and you can check this out at home or wherever) regarding the USB ports. When the trailer is plugged in to shore power, do they work then, and just not work when you are not plugged in?

The easy way to protect your batteries, (if you are able to) just leave the trailer plugged in while you are at home. Otherwise, either get a battery cutoff switch or remove the main inline fuse from the battery.

Finally, just a fair notice, if you have found the batteries run down dead a couple of times, you may have severely cut the service life of the battery and may want to get a replacement.

Good point on the thermostat on the two levers. On this trailer the temp selector is on the bottom, and the on/off switch is on the top.

Old 11-08-2016, 01:20 PM   #10

Thank you everyone for your advice. The thermostat was not clicked to the hard right. Problem was solved. The molding, I purchased the gorilla glue to re attach it. The bathroom, I was not aware of the switch at the top bathroom, my husband accidentally hit it (he doesn't see very well). Go figure. Then, I am purchasing an aftermarket cutoff switch to protect my batteries. I will however have my mechanic check the life of the batteries because they have been drained a few times since we purchased the unit. In the meantime, I will be keeping the 30amp fuse out when not in use. I really love this trailer and if I can do the work myself on it, I will. The dealer out hear said it would take 3 weeks before we would get it back. I just don't want to wait. You know us women. I figure if I can work on airplane parts I can work on a trailer. But once again, thank you everyone for your wisdom.
Old 11-08-2016, 01:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Thank you everyone for your advice. The thermostat was not clicked to the hard right. Problem was solved. The molding, I purchased the gorilla glue to re attach it. The bathroom, I was not aware of the switch at the top bathroom, my husband accidentally hit it (he doesn't see very well). Go figure. Then, I am purchasing an aftermarket cutoff switch to protect my batteries. I will however have my mechanic check the life of the batteries because they have been drained a few times since we purchased the unit. In the meantime, I will be keeping the 30amp fuse out when not in use. I really love this trailer and if I can do the work myself on it, I will. The dealer out hear said it would take 3 weeks before we would get it back. I just don't want to wait. You know us women. I figure if I can work on airplane parts I can work on a trailer. But once again, thank you everyone for your wisdom.

Here is a switch we got from Amazon that we installed on our Hummingbird. It is marine grade

Old 11-24-2016, 03:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandkaci View Post
Here is a switch we got from Amazon that we installed on our Hummingbird. It is marine grade

Can you add a link to the product?
It is just what I have been searching for.
RufusBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufusBC View Post
Can you add a link to the product?
It is just what I have been searching for.

Marinco 701 Battery Disconnect Switch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005DUUL9W..._jS5nybS63PTHF

Old 11-25-2016, 07:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandkaci View Post
Marinco 701 Battery Disconnect Switch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005DUUL9W..._jS5nybS63PTHF

Thanks [emoji1417]

RufusBC is offline   Reply With Quote