Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2017, 05:39 PM   #1

Hybrid Generator

Does anyone have any experience with converting the Honda or Yamaha 2000 series generators to propane power? I have seen the conversion kits sold and also converted generators sold on-line. It looks like I could save a few dollars doing the conversion myself, but have to imagine I would forfeit the warranty in the process.
bsponsler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 06:11 PM   #2

There are several YouTube videos showing how to do this.
Mbranscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:12 PM   #3

Any mods will void the warranty, you will also lose about 10% power output.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:57 PM   #4

Depending on the size of the generator, you will also be shocked at how fast it goes through propane. In my 2000w inverter, I can get about 8 hours on the 1.1 gallon tank, and it's easy to carry a 2 gallon gas can and refill it if needed - easier than finding propane and easier to lug around than an extra 20 pound tank.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:02 PM   #5

I've seen this conversion discussed before and I just can't figure out why anyone would want to do it. Can someone explain the benefits of a propane generator?

I know some manufacturers of DP motorhomes use propane generators but that's simply to avoid installing an expensive diesel generator. That way they can keep their price down and most buyers don't find out how much of a problem a propane generator is until they find they have to refill their propane tank every day or two.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 01:43 PM   #6

I was investigating the idea as it would keep me from having to carry gasoline, but am now leaning towards spending the money on a higher wattage inverter. Thanks for all the input from everyone.
bsponsler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 03:20 PM   #7

My eu3000is holds 3.4 gallons which is enough for about 20 hours of running my A/C. Over time I've learned to tell when it uses about 2 gallons. I carry (2) 2 gallon gas cans empty. When I get near my destination I fill them and then just plan to make sure it all goes in the Honda gas tank before I return home. If I'm on the generator for a long time like 4 days at a tailgate I just make gas runs when needed. I usually have to hit WalMart once a day anyway.

I don't like hauling full cans of gas either. Probably nothing dangerous about it I just don't since I'm able to plan and avoid it. I also use a funnel I got at WalMart that has a float indicator in it. Keeps me from overflowing the generator tank.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:31 PM   #8
M&A

I switched to this last summer. Fills without tipping or bending over and doesn't spill a drop. Cannot smell gas inside my Wrangler. A bit pricey, but I've spent more replacing many tanks with the funky spouts that break after one use.
Attached Thumbnails
41A+FVG-qeL.jpg  
M&A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 03:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
I've seen this conversion discussed before and I just can't figure out why anyone would want to do it. Can someone explain the benefits of a propane generator?

I know some manufacturers of DP motorhomes use propane generators but that's simply to avoid installing an expensive diesel generator. That way they can keep their price down and most buyers don't find out how much of a problem a propane generator is until they find they have to refill their propane tank every day or two.

In some areas propane is cheaper to buy than the gasoline. Around here a 20# tank of propane is $8, 4 gallons of gas is $9.36 (today, yesterday it would have been $9.76). 20# propane has been $8. for several years, and the local seller give you the 5th for free with their punch card. Even when gas was $4+ per gallon, propane was still $8 for 20#. GO figure?
Knottybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knottybird View Post
In some areas propane is cheaper to buy than the gasoline. Around here a 20# tank of propane is $8, 4 gallons of gas is $9.36 (today, yesterday it would have been $9.76). 20# propane has been $8. for several years, and the local seller give you the 5th for free with their punch card. Even when gas was $4+ per gallon, propane was still $8 for 20#. GO figure?
If you're getting propane in small 20# tanks for $2/gal then you're getting a pretty good price. Here it's more like $3.50/gal. You can only get sub $2 pricing if you buy 1,000 gallons for home heat (untaxed).

At any rate, it's not nearly as easy to find propane as it is to find gasoline. I'd hate to have to go get a propane bottle filled everyday while at a 4 day football tailgate. I'd be more than happy to spend an extra $1/day for the convenience.