Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2016, 04:42 PM   #1

I might have trouble with my hot water heater!

Being a newbie, perhaps I don't understand the way this works! We have the Atwood Gas only 6 gallon hot water heater. We read the manual, ran the hot water in the kitchen sink, so water was in the hot water tank. Turned on the hot water heater, waited a half an hour, had really nice hot water, and then turned it off and closed up camper for the night. Today I decided to take a shower out there to test the system out! Turned hot water on, waited a half an hour, had hot water, then got side-tracked and worked in my kitchen! When I was ready later I took my shower. The water was warm, not terribly hot, not terribly cold, it did not come on to heat my water (I thought if you left it on the it would heat when it got to lower temps). It never came on while I showered and I finished with the water pretty cold. I did try to conserve the water, turning on and off through out the shower. DH turned hot water heater off for about fifteen minutes, turned back on, we waited half an hour and we had hot water again. BUT the igniter goes off, making a clicking sound, but cannot fire because it is already on! Then it shuts off!

Am I expecting more than I should from this system, or is there a problem like DH thinks! I will call the dealer tomorrow, but don't want to be making newbie mistakes!

Thanks yet again, you folks are wonderful!

Lynn
Old 04-17-2016, 05:33 PM   #2

Look at your heater piping system You should see three valves one for the cold inlet one for the hot outlet and the third is a bypass It will be connected to both the cold and hot lines. Look at the position of the valves The hot and cold handle should be straight or open in line with the pipe. The bypass should be across the line or closed. I have a feeling your bypass is in the open position
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:35 PM   #3

check the attached link

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...tml#post338716
Old 04-17-2016, 05:43 PM   #4

Yes, something's up.

If working properly you should be able turn on the switch (with heater full of water), wait 20 - 30 minutes, and have hot water. You can leave it on continuously while camping if you want, but it will burn propane periodically to keep the tank hot. Can be annoying at night hearing it fire-up and burn for a few minutes (that is when the electric element is nice!).

If bypass valves are in their proper position and propane lines have been completely purged of air, and it sounds like they should have been heating a tank of water previously, things need to be inspected to find out what is up. I am assuming the propane tank has plenty in it and the valve is open fully. It could be a propane delivery issue (regulator, changeover valve, pinched line, etc.) or an issue with the controls of the heater itself.

Being a fairly new unit, if you are the 1st owner this should be a warranty item. Bad time to probably schedule service now though, busy time I suspect.

Good luck and please report back the findings, your experience very well may help another owner.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:26 AM   #5

A still working on this.... We did not resolve yesterday...

Our unit was mfg in December of 2015, we took delivery on Friday, so yep, it is relatively new!

We have camped in tent, PopUp (no hot water) and Tear drop (no hot water), so very new at this! I don't want to be a pain to the dealer, and I don't want to leave it at dealer in this really busy time of year, I want to be sure it is not a dumb newbie error!

We will check the things suggested here today, going back at it fresh so to speak!
Old 04-18-2016, 06:24 AM   #6

Lynn are you sure you have propane? The igniter clicking like that indicates no fuel to the igniter.. other causes could be a spider in the gas tube but that is highly unlikely as you just used it the day before or the thermal resistor went bad..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:39 AM   #7

I think the problem is you have a hot water heater.

You need a cold water heater.

Just kidding, nothing useful to add.
Gone-2007 National SurfSide 34DE
Gone-2006 ForestRiver Sunseeker 2900LTD
Gone-1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger
apr1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:52 AM   #8

Valves are ok. A and B are running perpendicular to the pipes....C is across the pipe, it is closed. DH says it is right!

Though I thought I saw a diagram somewhere here, manual, or the Atwood Service manual that show two going one way and the other going in the opposite direction!

The gas has to be ok, they were both full on Friday, and it heats up to hot the first time, so the gas has to be right?

Lynn
Old 04-18-2016, 07:07 AM   #9

Water temp is at 130 now, and the igniter is clicking away, it began clicking a little bit ago. Their is a beautiful flame going in there, so we assume gas supply is not a problem!
Old 04-18-2016, 07:11 AM   #10

The water heater is shut off now, temp at 130, going to call the service department of the dealer....
Old 04-18-2016, 07:20 AM   #11

its ok at 130 I beleive, and its normal to have no flame at 130 also

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:27 AM   #12

yup and I have hot water for duration of the tank, but if I use the water, it won't kick back on by itself, has to be reset, the little red light is on between the pump and the heater.

This indicated to the dealer's service mechanic that we need to bring it back in, thinks something needs to be change out. (the circuit board maybe or the resistor) the heater is not able to communicate.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:30 AM   #13

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr1967 View Post
I think the problem is you have a hot water heater.

You need a cold water heater.

Just kidding, nothing useful to add.
I got it once the pressure was off on us! Don't want to start my relationship with the dealer as a PIA...

Lynn
Old 04-18-2016, 08:15 AM   #14

Lynn Keep us posted on the results
Old 04-18-2016, 08:25 AM   #15

Had same problem

Sounds like you're having the same problem I had. Brand new rv, heater would not stay on.

Here's how it should work. Turn the switch on. The ignitor will attempt to fire the heater up. As it does the ignitor indicator light beside the switch will light up. (not the switch light, it will stay on as long as the switch is on. The indicator light is the small dot beside the switch) When it actually fires the indicator light will go off. It may attempt to ignite a couple of times if there's air in the gas line or you forgot to turn the gas on. It will only try 3 times. If it can't ignite the indicator light will come on and stay on. You have to turn the switch off then back on to get it to try to ignite again. If the indicator light comes on any time after the heater is working you have a problem.

Mine would fire up, heat the water, work for a while (sometimes all night) but eventually would shut off. I could turn switch off, turn back on and it would work again but eventually it would shut off again. Didn't matter if I was using water or not.

Part of the problem is you have to convince the dealer that something is wrong (not operator error). The first time I took it in they tested it and it ran OK for hours. They gave it back to me and said they couldn't find a problem. Our next camping trip it did the same thing. I kept a log and gave it to them when I took it back showing them exactly how often it was shutting off and what I was doing. They kept it longer and and it eventually it happened with them. Ended up replacing the control board. Problem solved. I don't know if Atwood had a bad batch of control boards or not but the dealer said they had replaced several lately.

I leave mine on the whole trip. Some people turn them off at night or when gone during the day to conserve gas. They are designed to operate just like a home heater. Turn them on and they keep the water hot and ready for you. But if you don't mind waiting on hot water you could turn them off when not using. You'll have to determine what's best for your camping.

Sounds like you may be having the same problem. Take it to the dealer and get them to check it out.
Mart38655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart38655 View Post
Mine would fire up, heat the water, work for a while (sometimes all night) but eventually would shut off. I could turn switch off, turn back on and it would work again but eventually it would shut off again. Didn't matter if I was using water or not.

Part of the problem is you have to convince the dealer that something is wrong (not operator error). The first time I took it in they tested it and it ran OK for hours. They gave it back to me and said they couldn't find a problem. Our next camping trip it did the same thing. I kept a log and gave it to them when I took it back showing them exactly how often it was shutting off and what I was doing. They kept it longer and and it eventually it happened with them. Ended up replacing the control board. Problem solved. I don't know if Atwood had a bad batch of control boards or not but the dealer said they had replaced several lately.

Sounds like you may be having the same problem. Take it to the dealer and get them to check it out.
Thanks so much, sounds like we are having the same problem! it's nice to know I am not crazy or too much a newbie! But thanks to the troubleshooting with all of you nice folks, I did not feel the slightest bit Newbie when we called!

Yes except I thought I needed to run water, but maybe I never waited long enough! We've been trying to figure it out all day yesterday! The Dealer said that red light should not come on and stay on after the water is hot, sounded like he expects to change something out and we can wait while they fix it!
Old 04-18-2016, 10:27 AM   #17

It sounds like a control board problem, but it might be something as simple as the electrical connector to the board not being engaged fully. If you can find the control board, try removing, then replacing the connectors.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:17 AM   #18

Thanks SmokerBill! I did downloaded the Service Manual, and it said to do that! If it weren't under warranty I would try that, but for now we will see what the Dealer does when we take it back to him!
Old 04-19-2016, 06:04 AM   #19

Smokey Hot water tank

Hi all, sorry to chime in so late. I just saw this thread and thought I would share my hot water tank experience.

I bought my 2015 JayFlight 26BH last February, camped about 6 times and on the 7th time out the Hot water tank emitted a black soot all over the side of the trailer. Took air pressure to blow out the orfice and burner tubes. Could not really see too much coming out (maybe it burned up). Thinking it was a spider or wasp got in there. After blowing it out, no more black soot.

The black soot will not come off the side of the trailer with anything I have tried. Any suggestions??

Its all still under warranty, hate the thought of taking to dealer and possibly loosing my camping season. Then again, I don't want it burned down either.
Lakehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:15 AM   #20
Site Team

Try a Dollar Store spray cleaner product called "Totally Awesome".
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote