Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-01-2014, 05:08 AM   #1
Question I want a Jayco TT....I think...Please help

Hello all. Long time RVer here. 30+ yrs. Currently on rv # 11 and hate it. I have been researching for the last yr. I keep coming back to Jayco. Settled on the 23FB. I camp alone with just the dog mostly. The size looks perfect and I can get a full wall bedroom option with solid door that I really like for when there are 4 of us. Jayco has been doing this a long time and I was convinced they were doing it right. My concern. I stumbled onto a you tube video showing how Jayco builds trailers ,specifically the model I'm looking at, in 7 hours start to finish. Following that came pages of comments about the poor quality Jayco is selling and horror stories from owners. Most concerning leaks. I was set to order my new unit but now don't know. I had a leaking unit once that spent 8 of the 18 months I had it at the dealer for leaks. Can't live line that again. Please tell me this isn't the case.

reinbeauke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:13 AM   #2
The bad part about reading online reviews is that you will get 19 bad reviews for every 1 good review. Yes, there are some campers that have issues but most never see a dealer for warranty work for anything major. We are on our 3rd Jayco since 2006 and each one has been pretty much trouble-free. The biggest issue, I think, is that as owners, we are required to do a LOT more servicing of campers than vehicles. Much of the time we see people who have more camper issues being people who either are not mechanically inclined or do not have the space or time to maintain their campers and only rely on the servicing department. The best thing you can do is look over the camper very well before picking it up. I even recommend getting on the roof and inspect everything!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH traded in
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4, 5.7, 6 speed 4.30 gears
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:36 AM   #3
Originally Posted by reinbeauke View Post
My concern. I stumbled onto a you tube video showing how Jayco builds trailers ,specifically the model I'm looking at, in 7 hours start to finish. Following that came pages of comments about the poor quality Jayco is selling and horror stories from owners.
You think 7hrs is bad you need to watch a Big 3 video on how fast they build cars. Ford, Chevy, Dodge forums are full of people who have had problems with their vehicles. As stated before, you'll hear way more whining than praise on forums and reviews.

Find a floor plan you like and buy it.
2006 23B Hybrid with 10k round bar WDH
2011 F150 4x4 SCREW Ecoboost, Max Tow, Integrated TBC, 3.73 LS axle, Firestone Ride Rite airbags.
mcfarmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:47 AM   #4
Well I went to the factory after we ordered our eagle for a private tour with the rep in our area and yes they move fast on the actual line but there are many sub assemblys that are built in the days proceeding the actual assembly . I was impressed with the speed at which each thing was done but saw no quality issues with how it was being done. They really work like a well oiled machine . After the tour I was more convinced to buy one from them . Just my two cents
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:49 AM   #5
I would agree with LiftedAWDAstro, most people will want to post negative than positive comments for obvious reasons. My 2013 hybrid just went through the worst rain Iíve seen in months and no leaks were found (and i checked every inch of that trailer with slider out). You will always find areas of questionable quality with anything you buy and Jayco is no different. The key for me is to determine if there is a real problem requiring dealer attention or if there is a way I can make it better. I quite enjoy the latter.
2013 23B
2001 Tahoe
Sold 2005 Fleetwood Allegiance
Sold 1999 Durango
fmichaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:16 AM   #6
Site Team
Welcome to the forum!
I have seen the video in question and many folks have commented on this over the past few years. The FINAL assembly took 7 hours. The walls, roof trusses, cabinets, frame and running gear, furniture, tanks, bunks, appliances etc are all pre made so the actual start to finish time is much longer. The 7 hr trailer is also a 26BH model with no slides.

2004 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0l, 4.10r

2010 Jayco Jayflight 28BHS
Reese Strait Line with Dual Cam
P3 Brk controller
Crabman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:32 AM   #7

First off, welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum! I did similar research before deciding on my Jayco. I found way more complaints about other trailers/manufacturers . . . and most of them were either ignored or unresolved by the manufacturer. Virtually all of the complaints I found about Jayco's were quickly resolved by Jayco and/or their dealers; many of them at no customer cost even after the 2-year warranty had expired. That's way better customer service than I found with any other brand. That's why I bought my Jayco Eagle instead of a similar floor plan from another manufacturer. Most of the issues I've run into stem from my lack of knowledge about a Jayco feature that my last trailer didn't have. That's where the folks at this forum have been so very helpful.

All I can tell you is I took my first outing in my new trailer last week. It was cold, windy and raining most of the time. But I had no leaks, no electrical problems, no water system problems, no appliance problems, and no structural problems. I could not be more pleased with my decision to purchase a Jayco product. I'm sure most JOF members would agree.

Take your time making your buying decision, and enjoy to the max whatever you decide to purchase!
2013 Eagle 266RKS
2011 Ford F-150 w/3.5L Ecoboost & H.D. Tow Package
Brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:17 AM   #8
Sounds like you've had some tough experiences, perhaps a new Jayco could break that spell. I've had my trailer since September 2013. Virtually EVERY trip since then, it's rained on us. Even our first night in Camp Driveway, we had the worst rain storm in months. Nary a drop has gotten into my camper, and I've checked every inch of it front to back, top to bottom, on the roof and underneath. In the time I've owned my trailer, I've had 2 warranty issues; 1) the wiring harness got pinched somewhere along the line on our way home from the dealer. I told the dealer I was leaving for our maiden voyage and he had the new harness installed well before we had to leave. 2) One of the propane pigtails started leaking. I took it off, brought it to the dealer, he replaced it without question and gave me some yellow "teflon" tape and I installed the new one when I got home.

That's it. Just those two issues. Granted there are a few minor things like screws that missed the backer in the bunk, but that would take me 10 minutes to fix with my cordless drill whenever I get around to it; it's not critical. And one of the gas struts under our master bed has a tendency to pop off randomly; again, not critical and I'm certainly not towing the trailer to the dealership to mess with it. In fact I'll probably just replace it with a stronger strut because of the 4" memory foam topper being so heavy and we'll probably end up replacing the whole setup with a complete foam mattress.

Of course there are people who have problems with their Jayco, that's not rare. Certainly for the industry, but more so for the other manufacturers I researched over the two years I spent shopping. However, more stories than not end with "Jayco and my dealer handled my problem and now I'm back out camping." Not so with many of the other manufacturers and dealers out there... That's why I own a Jayco.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:35 AM   #9
Hey rein, Wow, 11 TT's! I'm just a beginner on our 2nd. Both have been Jay's and I've been pleased with the quality of both. Perfect? No, but in general, dang good.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:43 AM   #10
Welcome to the forum. Keep in mind those 7 hours include a lot of hands at work at a number of stations along its build path. It does not include cabinetry or upholstery construction. I don't think it includes wall construction which, at least based on a recent tour of the Eagle Premier /Pinnacle line, was performed at another facility and delivered ready for installation. All the mechanicals are plug n play and Jayco has done a pretty good job of employing modular design practices to drive commonality and reduce variation. They have confidence in what they do by slapping a 2 year warranty on each unit and have a reputation of standing behind what they sell.

Your 1st impression was correct, they generally do it right - not flawless but right.

2014 Eagle Premier 331RETS
2016 Silverado 3500 DuraMax/Allison
1975 Corvette & a couple ATV's
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote