Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-01-2015, 04:28 AM   #1

I want your experience

Hello
My girl friend and I are the proud owners of a Jayflight 23RB
When I say we are new to this that's an understatement
The retailer has agreed to store it til Spring
I'm asking you as owners to share your experience.
The question is when it comes to accessories from sewer hose to lawn chairs what would you recommend
I have all winter to make cash purchases so what should be my priorities? What "Quality " manufacturers do you recommend for purchase
Amazon has a lot, but some items look cheap or a gimmick
Both are traps I want to avoid
Thanks
Soltice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:11 AM   #2

Man, where to start....

A good sewer hose in my opinion is the Camco Rhino setup. Durable and stows well. Water regulator as well. A decent inline filter is a must. A set of leveler block like Lynx levelers or even the Andersen Leveler. I've used small pieces of 2x6 cut into blocks to put under the levelers on the TT. A good fresh water hose.. maybe two just in case. An extension for your shore power cord is always a good idea. Many people have some type of surge protector or electrical management system. You can search other threads here on them. Plenty of advice. A good hitch and sway system is also a priority. You can also search that topic here. The list can go on forever but I'm sure others will a have plenty to add.

Welcome to JOF!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:57 AM   #3

Being very new myself, I found the hard way that 25' water hose is not always enough, and the 25' power cord can be a little short also. I bought the rhino flex dump hose, no desire to play with pooh. The lynx blocks worked well for me, and I'm using BAL x-chocks to chock it, with a couple of collapsible wedges for good measure. Water Regulator is a must. You'll get great lists here. I found my local Wal-mart has a good selection of Camco products, and they seem reputable. Enjoy.
2011 Shelby GT500 (only thing it pulls is G's)
2003 Jeep Liberty Limited (DD's)
1995 F-150 short wheel base (Sold)
finally03gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:49 AM   #4

Welcome and congrats on the rig!!!

Where to start.....
Spare tire and tools to change if needed!!!!
Wheel chocks!!!! X-Chocks should not be used as the only chocks.
Boards/ Lego blocks for leveling.
Fresh water hoses- I have enough for about 160' I think it is.... Also have a splitter to use at the pedestal.
Water regulator
2- 25' 30 amp extension cord, a couple 14g extension cords for the toaster, crock pot, electric griddle, etc....
2- 10' sewer hoses- for support I have 4" u-shaped gutter inside the vinyl fence post sleeve mid for the sewer hose.
Ez-Up
Camp chairs
Awning mats
Camp Chef Explorer stove
Coleman Roadtrip grill- may retire or replace
2 Aluminum roll top tables- store just like bag chairs
Fire tongs and poker
Hot dog forks
Ice maker for the longer trip(s)
Rope for just in case

Still need a 50amp to 30amp, a surge protector, tire pressure monitor for the trailer, and I know there is something else on the "grocery list"!!! Lol

This is a list of what we have in the trailer (may have missed something! Lol), besides some pot and pans, nesting mixing bowls/ measuring cups, etc. We use paper plates and plastic ware 99% of the time.

Check the link in my signature for some mod ideas. Any questions just ask!

A great way to see what you need in the trailer is to driveway camp! And keep a pad of paper and pen/pencil close on you first few trips to write down what you need.

At the end of the first (full) season, go through the camper to remove anything you didn't use all season....

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:01 AM   #5

1. Good weight distribution hitch with Sway Bar like the Andersen No Sway WDH
2. Andersen Leveler and chocks
3. Giant bubble Leveler, mounted it on the left side (so you can see it from the driver seat)
4. Water Regulator (to protect the RV water lines)
5. Very Long Power Extension Cord AND 30 to 15amp adapter (for emergency power)
6. 4 RV Aluminum Stack Jack (rated 6000lb each), put 2 stabilizes next to the axle (wheel) to eliminate the bounce.
7. Lynx Leveling blocks (for the jacks or for leveling that need more then 4")

Dream Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:15 AM   #6

You will need beer. Beer is always required once you hit your destination and back into your spot. Levelling and such can wait
Old 10-01-2015, 09:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsafetya View Post
You will need beer. Beer is always required once you hit your destination and back into your spot. Levelling and such can wait

....and that!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:39 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soltice View Post
Hello
The retailer has agreed to store it til Spring
Quick question... Is the battery installed on the TT, or are they going to install it in the spring? If it is installed now, go over to the dealer and pull your main 30 amp fuse that is located near the battery, or the battery will be dead in a week or 2. The CO detector, radio circuit board, fridge circuit board, hot water circuit board all use a SMALL amount of 12VDC, and will discharge the battery in a week or 2. You also need to pull the fuse when you return from camping, unless you leave it plugged in to shore-power/home outlet.

Best idea, as you do not know if it is at a full charge would be to remove it and take it home with you and put it on a smart charger until spring. That will be one less thing you will need to worry about.

Did the dealer give your the walk through inspection and try all the things in the TT? If not take a trip and have them go through and test every item with you. This way you will be ready for the spring camping season.

Also make sure that they do not use your TT as a display model, you will be amazed at how much traffic will walk through it without your knowing.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:36 AM   #9

In addition to always checking tire pressures prior to leaving, don't forget to check the spare also, and be sure that you have the necessary equipment to change a tire should it become necessary: proper size lug wrench, jack, etc.
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Loris, South Carolina.
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:46 AM   #10

Something that was mentioned, do you have a wdh yet? Can't link it at the moment (on my phone), but there is a thread both here and on RV.net concerning adjusting the wdh for a safe towing experience. Even if the dealer did set the hitch up close for an empty trailer, you will probably need to re-adjust it once you load the trailer. Ideally if you have a CAT Scale near you is to weigh your rig and trailer 3 times.

Remembered something else that is on my grocery list:

Main on/off switch at the battery. I plan on ordering a Blue Sea mini single on/off switch, mounting it to a group 27 battery cover/case, along with a waterproof 12v cig style outlet for a 12v compressor and "beach toy inflator". I will use some wood to keep the battery from sliding around inside the larger case.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:58 AM   #11

Since you're new at this, I'm assuming you've never towed a box down the road before. Take it out for a test ride on a lightly traveled hwy and get to know what it feels like. It WILL change how your tow vehicle feels when driving, even if you hear people say "I don't even know it's back there". Trust me, you will know. It's a box, and as such not very aerodynamic. Your tow vehicle will eat gas. Average towing a trailer can be as a bad as 8 mpg, as good as 12 mpg. Rarely better. Get used to the noises the trailer and hitch may make.

Take it to an empty parking lot and practice backing up. Nothing worse than getting to a CG and having a crowd gather watching the "newbie" backing in!
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:12 AM   #12

So beer..... Ok thanks

A weight distribution hitch is included with sway arms
All great tip thanks
Old 10-01-2015, 11:17 AM   #13

Thanks Doc I'll take your advice about " my new trailer" to heart because like you say it's a different box
Have experience with trailers in Search and Rescue running equipment highway speeds with" bells and whistle" just blarin
But again your advice is valued thanks
Old 10-01-2015, 11:28 AM   #14

Do not forget side mirrors for your Tow Vehicle as they will be needed. Also put together a bag or box of general tools that will might be needed for on the road maintenance. Start looking for a good collection of fuses to use when one blows as it will happen. Get digital copies of as many manuals as you can and put them on a tablet or computer that you will take with you. Also look up general trailer information like trailer connector wiring and 12 vdc theory. If you do not have and are not familiar with it get a voltmeter to keep in the RV as it will be needed at the most inconvenient time. You seem to be on the right track so good luck with your rig.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:55 PM   #15

Quote:
A weight distribution hitch is included with sway arms
All great tip thanks
There are many various models of wdh's. Just be sure to learn yours.

Make sure you have a brake controller also!!! Figure you do, but just in case you don't....

Just noticed your location!!!! Mi or Ont??? We snowmobile in D13 of Ont.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:26 PM   #16

Fuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingva View Post
Do not forget side mirrors for your Tow Vehicle as they will be needed. Also put together a bag or box of general tools that will might be needed for on the road maintenance. Start looking for a good collection of fuses to use when one blows as it will happen. Get digital copies of as many manuals as you can and put them on a tablet or computer that you will take with you. Also look up general trailer information like trailer connector wiring and 12 vdc theory. If you do not have and are not familiar with it get a voltmeter to keep in the RV as it will be needed at the most inconvenient time. You seem to be on the right track so good luck with your rig.
The voltmeter is an excellent idea a friend also suggest a 20.00 heat gun so you can shoot your bearings and see their temperature
That way you know if there is one overheating
Would love to know which fuses to stock but will have to wait till I can get at the trailer( in storage)
Battery is disconnected but a switch is a good idea too
Old 10-01-2015, 02:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
There are many various models of wdh's. Just be sure to learn yours.

Make sure you have a brake controller also!!! Figure you do, but just in case you don't....

Just noticed your location!!!! Mi or Ont??? We snowmobile in D13 of Ont.
Ontario hence I have to wait to try out the new toy when the white stuff is gone😀

Trailer Brake comes with the 15 Tundra (10300lbs)
Let's hope for a big but short winter
Old 10-01-2015, 02:38 PM   #18

A big suggestion for backing up.. make sure you and your spotter will be speaking the same language. DW guides me into campsites, driveway etc (we store TT at home. I wouldn't have it any other way) she points where she wants me to put the rear of the TT with BIG signals that I can see in mirrors and she always keeps a mirror in sight. If I can't see her I stop immediately. This works very well for us. No dings or scratches so far. Also remember that your spotter has to look up too.

Happy Camping
Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
SuperSprings.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Ontario hence I have to wait to try out the new toy when the white stuff is gone��

Trailer Brake comes with the 15 Tundra (10300lbs)
Let's hope for a big but short winter
Did you buy it from the Jayco dealer north of the Soo then, along the sled trail, in Heyden I think it is? At least I thought that was a Jayco dealer! lol

Old 10-01-2015, 03:34 PM   #20

little things too, table cloth for the picnic tables a good knife for cooking, plastic ones don't cut through ribs very well. Love our Coleman Road Trip XLE. We are new to our camper but not new to camping. We haven't figured out if ours DVD will play blue ray or not but DVDs are nice, assorted fuses, a tool box and a drill with the socket that fits the stabilizers.
pmames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new by asking questions