Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
Ideas for mods to storage area under queen bed anyone???

I am wanting to better utilize the area under our queen bed for storage. It is a pain to raise the bed and shuffle things around to get what you need. I was thinking about removing the frame under the bed and replacing it with aluminum posts and rails for support to leave the under bed area open. Then it would be easier to slide totes, etc. out from there when needed. Has anyone done a mod similar to this or does anyone have any other thoughts or ideas? I have a 2012 Jayco 29RLDSClick image for larger version

Name:	432.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	6913

garydonnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
Site Team
Welcome to the forum, garydonnat. I have not seen that particular mod done here but let us know how it turns out if you do it.

2004 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0l, 4.10r

2010 Jayco Jayflight 28BHS
Reese Strait Line with Dual Cam
P3 Brk controller
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
Site Team
Never heard of that either but my concern would be less net space from having to use something to contain the stored items from coming out and causing other problems.
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Might try something like the old pedestal waterbeds.
Make some doors on all 3 sides big enough for totes to slide in/out.

Southwest, Ohio
2016 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
I have heard of it being done. Without seeing how the existing bed is built, my thought on it would be to move the storage wall that is at the foot end of the bed back towards the head board a couple of feet. Enough for the totes you have pre-purchased plus a few extra inches. Shorten the side walls to match. Then add a couple of legs and cross braces attached to the existing plywood base.

My thought is this gives you both storage abilities. Lift the bed up for access the back area, for things you do not need regularly, or oversized items, such as heated mattress pads, lawn chairs, water can, etc. All those items are contained securely and out of site. Then you have easy access to the totes for the daily items.

Just my 2 cents.

Take a few pre and post photos.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
Currently the items we have stored under the bed is in plastic totes of various sizes. We were at The Container Store over the weekend and got some ideas for storing things like large plastic drawers, baskets, etc. This weekend I am going to measure the frame supporting the bed and sketch something out to have someone look at fabricating it.

2012 Jayco 29RLDS
2011 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Old 03-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
Jagiven, that's a great idea. I think I will look at only opening up about 1/2 of it.

2012 Jayco 29RLDS
2011 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Old 03-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #8
The Wife is Geeked let us all know how it is going thanks for the Idea.
outofhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
Open up the ends a bit to slide larger tubs un and out from either side, or laundry baskets. Leave the bulkhead at the foot of the bed to contain tubs on launch and stops. Eyelets screwed in and small bungees can contain tubs fron sliding out the sides during travel, but are easily removed when on-site and the tubs are regularly accessed.
kampfirekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #10
This sounds like an excellent mod idea! Really looking forward to seeing the finished product. And I agree that accessing stuff under the bed is often a pain... which is why we only keep one bin of fall/winter coats under ours. I have seen other trailers that have had a small cabinet door under the bed and thought that was also a good idea but this one would be even better... just have a bed skirt to keep stuff out of sight.

2011 28BHS
2011 F-150 5.0L with tow package
canuckowner is offline   Reply With Quote