Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #1

Info Needed On White Haek 29SQB

We really like this unit and it has just about everything we are looking for. The only thing it doesn't have is the outside bathroom access of the 31DSLB but that trailer might be getting too close to our towing limits. We'll have to see. I do have some questions and I hope someone can help me.

1) Does the 29SQB have a black tank flush?
2) How many cans of soda/beer fit it the outside fridge.
3) I am thinking the outdoor fridge only runs on electric. Am I correct?
4) I see you can have up to 3 TV's. If we do have 3, then are they all wired to the TV antennae so we can watch separate channels in each room?
5) I'm assuming that the built in DVD player only plays on the main TV in the living room.
6) Is the awning over the outdoor kitchen power or manual
7) Say we get a nice 60 degree weekend in March. 60 degrees during the day but below freezing at night. Local places don't turn on water until at least April 1. If we travel with the fresh tank full, I'm assuming that we would still be able to camp even though it might get below freezing at night since it says heated underbelly. Is that true?
8) Ground clearance. How does the dump station height compare to my x17z which is awful?
9) Are dual propane tanks standard? Dual batteries?
10) Ball park price. The MSRP seems to hover around 30K depending on options. I got a quote from RV Direct for about 21K. Big difference.

I have a nagging feeling I have another big question or two but can't think of it right now. Any way, I hope someone can help. Thanks!

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:16 PM   #2

What are you towing with? We really want the Eagle 314 but have decided thats just to heavy for us. So I was debating these 2 units as well, but am down to just the 31DSLB. Just so you know, the slide on the 29 is shallow and you get less space down the middle of the trailer. That and no access to the bathroom from outside has pulled me away from that TT. I also would love to hear all the answers to those questions. # 3, you are correct. That fridge will only work when plugged into shore power. Good luck with your decisions. I still really want the Eagle 314BDS...it's just too heavy

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #3

Same here. I forget the model, but there's a new Eagle out this year with the bunk house and BOTH sides of the bunkhouse slide out to really open it up. We'd love to get that but don't want the truck for it. We are currently looking at a Tundra since we don't have a truck yet.

I don't want to say the 31 is out of the question. We'll see what happens in the coming weeks.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #4

Does the 31 have a spot for a TV in the bunk house?

Old 09-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #5

With a enclosed underbelly you should be fine with your fresh water tank not freezing. I bought from RV Direct and also saved 9k off MSRP.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #6

Here's my few thoughts.

Having come from a "lite" model Outback and into the Jayco a few points coe to mind. First your not locked into a TV yet which is good. Having that flexability will allow you to seek something you truely can grow into.

A few points to consider on the WH model based on my last TT which was very similar.

Low ceilings can make it seem very small when inside. If your over 6ft you might duck a lot.
Tends to steam up faster as a result of less volume. Contantly fighting moisture buildups.
If you are going to grow in your family size the half slide makes the inside seem very tight. Can't pass without care. Also can you fit a pack and play inside? Mine did not and presented an obstacle at the time for me.
Do you fit in the shower/tub? Height? Also TB?
Storage space?
Mini fridge only works on electic and takes a day to get to temp. Also puts off a lot of heat. Have one currently, 2Cft. Can fit about 24 cans, 18 bottles.

The eagle has a full slide, more height, bathroom access from out and has more total livable space as a result.

It did not feel tight until I started to load it up and all the kids were inside on a rainy, cold day. If this is going to last you for 10 or so years and you want to be able to get along inside I would go up to the Eagle. Just my 2 cents based on past experience.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdorant View Post
What are you towing with? We really want the Eagle 314 but have decided thats just to heavy for us. So I was debating these 2 units as well, but am down to just the 31DSLB. Just so you know, the slide on the 29 is shallow and you get less space down the middle of the trailer. That and no access to the bathroom from outside has pulled me away from that TT. I also would love to hear all the answers to those questions. # 3, you are correct. That fridge will only work when plugged into shore power. Good luck with your decisions. I still really want the Eagle 314BDS...it's just too heavy
We had the same problem and went with the white hawk 312DSLB. We Love it. Yes we would like the outdoor kitchen to be larger, but really, we dont need it to be.
huntrfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #8

We deceided to buy the 29SQB In January, and we love it! It isn't as roomy as some with bigger slides but the layout works for our Family of 7. I have included responces to your questions.

1) Does the 29SQB have a black tank flush? Yes right beside the city water hookup
2) How many cans of soda/beer fit it the outside fridge. Im with the last answer a case of Pabst plus some soda a water for the kiddos
3) I am thinking the outdoor fridge only runs on electric. Am I correct? yes
4) I see you can have up to 3 TV's. If we do have 3, then are they all wired to the TV antennae so we can watch separate channels in each room? Mine came with 1 but is wired for one in the rear with the bunks

5) I'm assuming that the built in DVD player only plays on the main TV in the living room. yes
6) Is the awning over the outdoor kitchen power or manual? power
7) Say we get a nice 60 degree weekend in March. 60 degrees during the day but below freezing at night. Local places don't turn on water until at least April 1. If we travel with the fresh tank full, I'm assuming that we would still be able to camp even though it might get below freezing at night since it says heated underbelly. Is that true? yes
8) Ground clearance. How does the dump station height compare to my x17z which is awful? pleanty of clearance on this trailer
9) Are dual propane tanks standard? Dual batteries? duel both
10) Ball park price. The MSRP seems to hover around 30K depending on options. I got a quote from RV Direct for about 21K. Big difference. I scored after the PO of 7 days returned it, 30-34 MSRP bet you can get into one for 28.
Washington State
james.l.devore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #9

I have some slightly different answers to other members... I bought one of these in June of 2012. We were looking specifically at bunkhouse models only.. We compared Passport to the WH. We previously owned two different Jaycos, a 17 Hybrid, and the 19h

1) Does the 29SQB have a black tank flush? Yes
2) How many cans of soda/beer fit it the outside fridge? I can get about 3 dozen beer cans, carefully loaded up. THe down-side to this fridge, is the only way to adjust the temperature is to remove a hidden panel access in the back bunkhouse storage cabinet, and reach in. You can't possibly know which way to turn the knob and you can't see it while you are reaching for it to see the marks on the dial.
3) I am thinking the outdoor fridge only runs on electric. Am I correct? Yes, it's a small college dorm fridge.
4) I see you can have up to 3 TV's. If we do have 3, then are they all wired to the TV antennae so we can watch separate channels in each room? TV antenna is split and shared among all tvs spots. I just installed a small 19" led in the bunkhouse. I didn't put it on a mount or anything, I just lay it down on a bunk while traveling. I would have really liked to have had an outside cable port under the awning. Often we move a tv outside to watch football, and it would be nice to be able to jack the sat receiver into a jack inside the camper and just plug the tv in outside. (not a show-stopper, but is a would be nice to have)...
5) I'm assuming that the built in DVD player only plays on the main TV in the living room? Yes, and in my trailer, the in/out connections for audio were not correct. I couldn't listen to dvd movies on the tv, only on the full stereo. I had to remove the dvd/stereo unit one day and discovered it was hooked up wrong. A very quick fix, but made me much happier.
6) Is the awning over the outdoor kitchen power or manual? Both awnings on my unit are manual. The power are a build option
7) Say we get a nice 60 degree weekend in March. 60 degrees during the day but below freezing at night. Local places don't turn on water until at least April 1. If we travel with the fresh tank full, I'm assuming that we would still be able to camp even though it might get below freezing at night since it says heated underbelly. Is that true? Heated in the sense I belive that there belly has the ducting for the furnace.
8) Ground clearance. How does the dump station height compare to my x17z which is awful? Nice and high
9) Are dual propane tanks standard? Dual batteries? Dual 30' porpane tanks with bottle cover on mine, but a single 12v battery
10) Ball park price. The MSRP seems to hover around 30K depending on options. I got a quote from RV Direct for about 21K. Big difference. About 22 to 23k in Canada at the beginning of last season.

Now some gotchas:

1 - it is a very bouncy trailer. When the kids and/or grandpa toss and turn in the bunks in the back, I can totally feel it up front. I've added some BAL stab arms for the stab jacks and I've added 2 extended x-chocks between the axles. This has helped a lot, but not rock-solid yet.
2 - Couple of small build quality issues, but resolved by a dealer visit.
a) One of the plywood panels over a rear bunk was not sized correctly, had to be planed down a bit.
b) Main TV wasn't hung level, had to be adjusted.
c) One outside speaker blew, replaced, no issue.
d) The doors that provide access to the under-dinette storage are nice, but heavy. One of mine, the screws let go and the door fell off. Dealer has fixed this, however, this year, I'm going to build a pull-out drawer with some high-end drawer slides to facilitate getting things in and out a bit easier.
3 - If you are going to travel with beers/drinks in the outdoor fridge, add a child safety lock, the contents have a tendancy to settle, and more than once when I opened the back hatch, the fridge opened and the contents spilled out.

I intend to build some shelves into the bunhouse storage cabinet, it's a nice size, but a bit unusable for the kids as it is a wide-open cabinet with one rod. Building in some cubby-holes and/or shelves will make it much more functional for us.

Towing:
We (I) didn't pay enough attention to the best practices around towing, and bought a new trailer that ended up being way to much camper for our truck. We towed our previous two trailers with my 2006 Silverado. It had 7500lb towing capacity and handled the 19h great. With the 29SQB on it, and any kind of headwind I couldn't get much beyond 80Km/hr in 3rd gear. No fault of the trailer, all fault of the consumer.... I misread the spec on my truck capability. Since resolved by buying an F-250 diesel...

The first time you have to make a sharp turn, or a back-in in a tight spot with the 29SQB and watch the tires you may have a bird. The angle of the tires seriously changes with tight turns. I almost freaked out the first time.

Carry some spare 30amp blade fuses. I've had my main fuse blow once, with no real reason.. No pump, even worse, no break-away protection for towing... etc... I stole the power tounge jack fuse while I stopped for replacements.

All in all a very much loved camper, it fits our family very well.
emmysdad is offline   Reply With Quote