Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-18-2015, 04:19 PM   #1

Inspection request

We are acheduled to pick up our new trailer this coming Saturday. We will do the inspection with the tech, which will include running water from all faucets and drains. My question is would it be appropriate to ask the dealer to winterized my water system again once we are done? It's gonna be March till we use it again and it can get pretty cold here in central NC through mid March. Plus, I'd like the extra knowledge to see how it's done first hand.
Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 04:51 PM   #2

Won't hurt to ask. 50/50 chance.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinepartner View Post
We are acheduled to pick up our new trailer this coming Saturday. We will do the inspection with the tech, which will include running water from all faucets and drains. My question is would it be appropriate to ask the dealer to winterized my water system again once we are done? It's gonna be March till we use it again and it can get pretty cold here in central NC through mid March. Plus, I'd like the extra knowledge to see how it's done first hand.
I haven't had to winterize a trailer yet or go through a PDI, but I may find myself in a similar spot in a month or so. So...

IMHO, if the dealer knows that you are going to ask when the inspection starts, it may be little problem to winterize using air while showing you where the drains are, how to drain the water heater, etc. With all that done, then showing you where and how much RV antifreeze to put in may not be a problem.

At least I hope for both of us the dealer has no problem with your request. Please let us all know how it goes.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:36 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

It will come from the factory already Winterized. Unless you plan on using it right away way I would suggest leaving it that way. The water system is tested at the factory before Winterizing so I would think it would be ok come Spring. If not it is under warranty. We bought our Eagle last year on New Year's Eve and I left it Winterized. The dealer asked me what I wanted to do.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:44 PM   #5

Leave it winterized(if already done).. If it's winterized, the water pump is working so you don't need to test that. When u de winterize test it and if things don't work, then make a warranty repair apt.. Chances are you will find other things that need fixed, so get a list together and get it all fixed at the same time..
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwsmith111 View Post
It will come from the factory already Winterized. Unless you plan on using it right away way I would suggest leaving it that way. ...Snip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaling View Post
Leave it winterized(if already done).. ...snip
Because of my situation, I'll let the dealer know that after the PDI is completed and acceptable (which will include filling tanks, testing the water pump, and faucets), I'll need the trailer to be winterized when I leave with it.

It's too far for me to return the unit for warranty repairs (~1,800 miles) and since I agreed to buy it, I've learned that Jayco dealer's service policy repeatedly moves units they did not sell to the bottom of their repair priority list. If the unit has plumbing problems when I get it home, I have little faith I would be able to get them fixed by summer.

Paranoid? Maybe, maybe not. I just don't want to gamble the first year of using a brand new trailer because I didn't do my 'due diligence' during the PDI or did not have it winterized.

(Of course, if I pick the unit up in, say, March and the weather forecast is in my favor, THEN I'd risk not winterizing it.)
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
Old 01-18-2015, 06:52 PM   #7
Site Team

I would want the unit in my possession and would offer to pay them to winterize it after the PDI if necessary. The unit would have the batteries disconnected and such..
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:49 PM   #8

doing the sold get readys and deliveries of RVs at my dealership. This time of year we gladly throw in a winterize after the delivery (walk thru). Never at a charge. However I usually perform the winterization while the buyer is in financing.

I will tell you how to winterize during the walk thru. I will even show you where the valves are. For insurance reasons, most shops (including ours) dont really allow the customer in the shop when actual "work" is being performed. We even do the walk thrus outside unless it is sub freezing temps.
TIM
qwed94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:16 PM   #9

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to see how the PDI goes and will let you know. The good thing is the dealer is about 45 min from me. If I leave it winterized at th PDI, I'll still have time to check out the water system before our first use in March. I'm in the short rows and getting nervous and reading anything I can for first time owners. This forum is a great help.
Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinepartner View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to see how the PDI goes and will let you know. The good thing is the dealer is about 45 min from me. If I leave it winterized at th PDI, I'll still have time to check out the water system before our first use in March. I'm in the short rows and getting nervous and reading anything I can for first time owners. This forum is a great help.
Good luck and enjoy. I taped my PDI so that I could look back at it and had the video instructions on how to use everything.

I also bought my trailer in the winter, but waited until spring to take delivery and do the PDI. It extended the warranty and I did not have to worry about anything as I had not taken delivery. They stored it all winter at no cost as well.

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask934 View Post
...snip...I also bought my trailer in the winter, but waited until spring to take delivery and do the PDI. It extended the warranty and I did not have to worry about anything as I had not taken delivery. They stored it all winter at no cost as well.
Excellent point! I've been so anxious to get my trailer home ASAP, but now... Hmmm. The warranty clock doesn't start until I take delivery, we don't have spring camping plans (grandson due), so why take delivery when it's still cold enough to require winterizing and have it just sit for months! DOH!
Old 01-20-2015, 05:44 PM   #12
Site Team

They must do it different in cold country. Good for the customer.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:13 AM   #13

I'm with the OP on running water before leaving the dealership. He can take a couple gallons of a-freeze with him and will get an idea of what kind of dealer he's chosen by their response to his request. It's hardly a big deal. If they can give him another five to ten minutes, they aren't getting any of my business.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote