Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-02-2011, 10:12 PM   #1

installing a power inverter

I am planning on installing a 1500 watt pure sine wave inverter in my 2008 Jay Flight 26BH and need information on how to do this. I would like to use the existing outlets and I am hopefull that there is a way to connect it to the breaker box.

I have a Go Power! 125 watt 7 amp solar panel installed. I have only one 50 amp AGM battery installed, but I will be upgrading that to two 120 ah AGM group 27 batteries eventually.

The most important thing is that I be able to run my CPAP as I have sleep apnea and cannot sleep with out it. I would also like to be able to run a TV and a microwave from time to time, but they are secondary to the CPAP.

If all else fails, I can just go with a smaller inverter and add an outlet next to the bed for just the CPAP.
IronmanMLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #2

Hello, and welcome to the forum!

First of all, how often do you camp without shore power!
If often, the first thing you need to do is add up all the things you want to run off the inverter (total up the watts) For example the tv would hopefully be an lcd, the microwave (1200 watt) might already be more than your inverter can handle. Speaking of the inverter, you will need to know what the specs for continous watts and peak watts. This is important for things like the microwave that draw an initial surge higher than the rating, with regard to you CPAC machine, it will likely have a small surge as do most AC motors.
Remember, a normal house outlet can handle 1800 watts, so you have slight less than that to work with, just something to keep in mind, that`s all.
Now tying it all in to you existing outlets, I personlly would not do that without ALL of the safety modifications. For example, you would need a transfer switch so the system could automatically switch over from shore power to inverter/gen power and a bunch of wiring to make that work. So while it is `do-able`, it may not be cost effective.
But if you boon dock alot, maybe it`s worth it, but I think you will need a bigger power inverter! If you decide to use what you have and plug in one thing at a time, you should be OK, just be sure the wire size from the battery to your inverter is correct, even go one size larger to be safe.
Actually in your case, with the 26BH layout, you could set the inverter in the front outside storage compartment, then install an outlet throught the side of the wood panel into the bedroom and plug it right in. This way you will be close to your batteries and connections will be shorter. If your good with a jig saw, maybe you could mount the front plug in side of your inverter into the bedroom, that way you could see the control panel, plug and be able to turn it on and off without lifting the bed or getting out of the trailer!
A great website to `snoop`around on the help determine battery sizing, wiring size, run time etc would be Xantrex.com, they make power inverters, maybe even the one you have. They brand them as required.
Good luck
'Hunter' our Chocolate Ckr Spaniel, (2007 model) :hihi:
uptownbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:25 PM   #3

Thanks uptownbrown for the reply.

I don't boondock at all right now, but hope to do so quite a bit in the future after I get it setup so that I can. For the present I am hoping to set it up for when we have power outages around here. They are often and frequently long lasting. We went a couple of weeks without power two christmas's ago. It was a nightmare for me as I was only getting maybe a couple of hours sleep each day. We went out and got a really good generator, but I am afraid to plug my CPAP into it.

I don't have an inverter yet. I am trying to research everything before buying one. I am leaning toward a Go Power! inverter to insure full compatibility with my solar panel.

I already did a survey of my power and a 1500 watt inverter would fit the bill just barely. I also checked to see what I would need to just run a CPAP and a fan for 8 hours and I would get by easily on a 400 watt inverter.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:28 AM   #4

Hi

Look at your CPAP power cord. If there is a little black box on it, I'm betting its a 120V to 12V converter. Every CPAP I've Had runs on 12 Volts, and I just wire it into my battery circuit when camping, or plug into 120V when its around. I know how you feel about your CPAP, mine saved my life.

Later I'm going Camping.
Les

PS I got a 12V power cord, from my CPAP provider, It had a end to plug it into a lighter socket. It cost $14, cheapest thing I ever got from them.
Red Truck Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:51 PM   #5

12 volt power

Thanks Red,

I checked mine and it's definetly 110 volt and I don't have a 12 volt outlet close by bed anyways. The only one is on a high shelf over the dining table and was meant for TV's. It did come in handy for recharging my laptop battery, but is too far from the bedroom.

Mike
Old 07-22-2011, 06:22 AM   #6

You can check out my install here:

http://jaycoowners.com/showthread.ph...light=inverter

2010 Jay Flight 22FB
2011 Ford F250 KR CC 4x4 PSD
22FB2010Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:48 AM   #7

I think 1500 watts will be a little weak if you want to run the microwave. I have the Magnum Energy "whole house" inverter.. its rated at 2000 watts and 4000 surge. it also has the the auto switch over for when I am connected to shore power.

You never mentioned what brand of charge controller you have on the solar panel.. I hope you have one.. YOU DO NEED THEM..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote