Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #1

Insulation On 28DSBH White Hawk

We purchased this unit at the RV show in Hershey last week but it's still sitting at the dealer. We weren't sure if we wanted to bring it home this year since the season is almost over because we don't have much storage room at the moment. Either my brother or our Dad were looking to expand their driveways to accommodate the unit. The dealer has offered to keep it all winter for free.

Thing is, we really want it here. We could probably still get a weekend or two in before winterizing. Plus, my brother and his wife can actually see the trailer and purchase what is needed for it and know that it fits. It's also best to have it hear when trying to get sheets and pillows too. lol

So with that said, how is the insulation on these bad boys? I know it has the heated enclosed underbelly but at what point does it get too cold for all of that? We would love to take it out in early November if you get a 60 degree weekend, but you also might get 30 degree nights. When should we be worried? Any more info on the enclosed underbelly would be great!

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
Site Team

I`ve camped with mine with no underbelly and no thermal package and it got down to 24 one night with no problems, we were nice and cozy and nothing froze up. A buddy was camping with us in a hybrid and they made out fine as well. Of course it was in the 50`s during the day, a prolonged duration of 20`s would be a bit too much for my rig. The 30 degree nights you mention will never be a problem especially in an occupied trailer with the heat on IMO. Go for it. To me this is the best time of year for camping. No bugs heat or humidity, uncrowded parks and CG`s, and a campfire feels great at night! BTW I also like having the trailer here at my house where I can look at it and tinker with it now and then.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #3

I agree - you shouldn't have any trouble unless the temp remains below freezing for a lengthy period of time. Your underbelly will retain some of the heat generated inside the unit - usually enough to counter the overnight low temps.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #4

Take that bad boy home and start using it, you'll be fine. We take ours out pretty often in those similar temps with no under belly package, my whole family loves to "winter camp" here in the high elevations of AZ.
chopshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:47 AM   #5

I guess I am missing the issue here...

Use it for 2-3 weekends, then winterize it when not in use.

That is all the dealer is going to do. He will not be storing it indoors.

I use my trailer all winter. I winterize it after every use. I have gotten so good at winterizing that it only takes me about 30 minutes. Search YouTube for winterizing videos.

People in Minnesota and North Dakota own Trailers...it hits -20 degrees for days at a time. They just make sure to winterize their trailers and they pull through the winter just fine.

or...was your question - if I use it in the winter will I be cold when using it? My TT has an enclosed underbelly but NOT the Glacier package. The heater will run, but you will sleep warm.
pbohart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:38 AM   #6

I'm not trying to hijack this thread maybe there are others that might have the same questions
We have the White Hawk 26DSRB
"Enclosed heated underbelly" is standard equipment
1)How do I control the heating of the underbelly?
2)Is it only heating the underbelly when my furnace is running?
Thanks in advance
US Army
VN.71-72
RickAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAE View Post
I'm not trying to hijack this thread maybe there are others that might have the same questions
We have the White Hawk 26DSRB
"Enclosed heated underbelly" is standard equipment
1)How do I control the heating of the underbelly?
2)Is it only heating the underbelly when my furnace is running?
Thanks in advance

I do not have one but it is my understanding the underbelly is only heated when the furnace is running as you suspect. Some have installed tank heaters which run on electric.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
I do not have one but it is my understanding the underbelly is only heated when the furnace is running as you suspect. Some have installed tank heaters which run on electric.
Correct. There is a heating vent that opens up into the enclosed underbelly. When the heater is running hot air from the furnace flows into the enclosure.
pbohart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #9

You can have a good time and forget about 30 degree temps. We camped in Heber AZ one night and woke up to a frozen city water supply hose, but no problems with the trailer.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote