Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-05-2015, 09:28 AM   #1

Intro & A Few Questions

Since we have a tt, and are looking at another tt, figured I would place our intro here since I have a few questions also...

As a family of 4 we have camped (tt) since about '04, though my wife and I have camped since before we knew each other. First few "trips" were to the family reunion since our boys (twins) were about 1yr old. A new job brought new friends, and we have been camping with them since, trying for at least 3-4 trips a yr depending on busy schedules, work, etc...

So, my wife & I are seriously looking at a new trailer, leaning toward the 32BHDS style floorplan, and have a few questions...

I know with a new trailer there can be issues due to manufacturing, but as a whole we are leaning toward new this time so we know how it was taken care of since day one, and it will have always been "ours".

I know the Jayco reputation, but also know as mentioned in a thread I read here, as manufactures try to make trailers more towable (1500/150's) for the masses, trailers don't seem to be as solid as older models. I have noticed it just between our '87 Yellowstone and the '01 Dutchmen we have now.

So just how "solid" are Jayco's, in reagrds to the frame, box structure, etc, compared to other brands? I know Thor seems to not have the best rep the last few yrs, and Forest River seems to have a better rep than the Thor products.

Who makes Jayco's frames? Do the new(er) I-beam frames seem to be solid compared to the old rectangular tube frames?

I know some brands are using different appliances, but Jayco still seems to use the "old" standard brands, Atwood, Dometic (I think that was the fridge), etc...

I know I will have more questions as we shop, but I think it is a start for now!

We plan on keeping this trailer for some time (at least 8-10yrs, if not longer...) so we we want to be sure it will last with the proper upkeep.

We have briefly looked at a few Jayco's this past Fri, on our way north, but have not spent much more than about 1hr total looking at a few different models.

TY to all!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:57 AM   #2

I'm a bit envious of your camping history.

That aside, you are well aware of the changes that occur in the TT world. I'd say that do your research and when you're ready to buy see how the unit you like stacks up against what you've learned.

Also, Jayco has purchased other manufacturers. That will change the past and future of how certain units are built.

Jayco has factory tours, too. I don't know about other manufacturers. Watching one or more being built may influence your choice, too.

Happy shopping!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 12:14 PM   #3

Most rv mfgs use pre built from outside suppliers where they can. As such, there are a few companies that supply the industry, and most mfg use their products. Like every one else, Jayco buys on national contracts, and searches for the most bank for their buck.
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:39 AM   #4

TY for the replies!!!

Figured Jayco was similar to the other manufactures, guess it will come down to which exact layout and which interior (color wise) the better half likes! Lol

Though I still prefer the 2yr warranty with the Jaycos.

Side question- what axles are on the 32BHDS? 4400lb or 5200lb? Will try emailing Jayco also.

TY!

Old 07-06-2015, 12:07 PM   #5

From the reading I've done, the manufacturer's reputation for response to problems is important. Jayco ranks pretty high, and I can attest to that from personal experience. They use some different materials for their different price levels, so check things like flooring. You're doing your homework, can't beat that.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:15 PM   #6

I like that Jayco uses good quality plywood 5/8" T & G for floor and 3/8" for roof. Also their roof structure is a trust type product using wood blocking rather than the metal strapping. Those two items help sell me on their product. Other interior items are probably similar to competition. I can change or fix interior products, but structural roof and floor is much more difficult to repair/renew.

I also liked the two year warranty, and Jayco's history of stepping up on warranty issues.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:58 PM   #7

TY!

Tonight we went and looked at a 32BHDS again, and compared it to a Coachmen Catalina 323BHDS on the lot. The finish on the 323BHDS was no where near as nice as the Jayco. The drawers especially, sides and back needed a finish sander, and it wasn't just one or two, all of them including the outdoor kitchen drawers. The cabinet doors didn't seem as solid either.

Briefly looked at the 28BHBE, but just keep going back to the extra room of the 32 bunk room. Though the slightly shorter trailer would be nice, the extra room will be nice as well.

Did find out the 32BHDS has 5klb rated axles per the sticker. Another bonus over the Catalina that has 4400lb axles.

And the dealer even had a '16 brochure! Was shocked at that!

Couple small things we have found that could be better is the 74" mattress (since the Whitehawk has an 80" mattress now), and the gray water tank valve is not in the best location for dumping when the slide is open.

TY again to all!

Old 07-06-2015, 08:20 PM   #8

Does anyone know if Jayco has stopped using sandwich flooring an all of its models?
Old 07-06-2015, 11:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
Does anyone know if Jayco has stopped using sandwich flooring an all of its models?
They only used it on some, not all, models. I know Jay Flight are 5/8" T & G plywood on the floors. Can't speak to other models.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
What is "sandwich" flooring?
aroundeverycorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundeverycorner View Post
What is "sandwich" flooring?
It is a combination of styrfoam and very thin luan wood. The Jayflight line has plywood floors but I think the Whitehawks have the sandwhich style flooring.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by certified106 View Post
It is a combination of styrfoam and very thin luan wood. The Jayflight line has plywood floors but I think the Whitehawks have the sandwhich style flooring.
Is this something that could be a cause for concern down the road?
aroundeverycorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:49 PM   #13

I like Jayco's I-Beam frame, plywood floors and roof. After having my 2016 for a few weeks now I am NOT impressed with their cabinetry whatsoever. The shelves are paper thin, glued joints are messy and the methods in which the cabinets are constructed are very poor.

For example, I just spent a week at my friends house in California. He let me stay in his 2012 Dutchmen trailer. All the cabinets were double wall construction so none of the attachment cleats were visible. The outside corners all had 1/2" radius edges and the shelves were all double wall construction too. Everything about the cabinets in his trailer were far superior to my Jayflight. But his frame, floor and roof structure are not very well designed. If you want the best of both worlds I would spend the extra coin and buy a Nash, Arctic Fox or Outdoors RV. They are in another class altogether.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
They only used it on some, not all, models. I know Jay Flight are 5/8" T & G plywood on the floors. Can't speak to other models.

2016 WhiteHawks now have 5/8" ply floors
Old 07-08-2015, 06:30 PM   #15

Also forgot to mention that JayFlight was the only trailer I could find that offered 80gal of fresh water capacity. I primarily dry camp so this was a big deal to me.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by blderman View Post
After having my 2016 for a few weeks now I am NOT impressed with their cabinetry whatsoever. The shelves are paper thin, glued joints are messy and the methods in which the cabinets are constructed are very poor.
You must be mistaken. Amish cabinet makers are the best!
'14 Denali XL
Old 07-08-2015, 07:04 PM   #17

I have looked at new Jay Flights and their cabinets are not nearly as pretty as my WH

The 27RLS which is the equivalent to my WH is about #750 heavier. It has a pantry which I don't have but much less counter space; and bigger holding tanks.

It is a more heavy duty trailer than mine and may be a better choice for a larger family or back road use.

Jay Flights are also less Denari than White Hawks.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote