Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2015, 07:06 PM   #1

Is a battery required

I was wondering, if my battery was dead or if I didn't have a battery would I just be able to plug into a 30 amp service at the campground and have everything work properly.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:40 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
I was wondering, if my battery was dead or if I didn't have a battery would I just be able to plug into a 30 amp service at the campground and have everything work properly.
My first question is "Does your TT have Electric Brakes", and are you towing it. If it has Electric Brakes, and you are towing it, the answer is you need to have a battery. I believe most states require this in case the TT disconnects from the TV the break away switch will activate the TT brakes.

If you are just leaving it on a site and have shore power (24/7), not really necessary. Just pull the main 30 amp fuse by the battery location (to protect from the positive cable from shorting against the frame). Most of the TT's that are seasonal at the site we go to do not have batteries, but they do not move them at all. A battery will also absorb any 12VC surges that the TT's battery charge controller may produce.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:30 AM   #3

Another reason to have a battery even if you are at a seasonal site is to run the fridge on propane if shore power is lost. This way if the CG loses power during the week everything is not spoiled when you show up on Friday.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
My first question is "Does your TT have Electric Brakes", and are you towing it. If it has Electric Brakes, and you are towing it, the answer is you need to have a battery. I believe most states require this in case the TT disconnects from the TV the break away switch will activate the TT brakes.

If you are just leaving it on a site and have shore power (24/7), not really necessary. Just pull the main 30 amp fuse by the battery location (to protect from the positive cable from shorting against the frame). Most of the TT's that are seasonal at the site we go to do not have batteries, but they do not move them at all. A battery will also absorb any 12VC surges that the TT's battery charge controller may produce.

Don
X2, it is really only required for towing, for the emergency brakes. But it is a nice to have for power outages at the CG.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote