Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-10-2016, 09:48 PM   #31
Originally Posted by toddfrei View Post
I'm new to this forum so sorry if this has been covered already but I couldn't find it anywhere. I am looking at getting a 2015 Whitehawk 28BHKS, its dry weight is listed at 6160lbs loaded 8200lbs. My 2012 F-150 is rated for 9400lbs max tow. Is this too much TT for my truck.

I tow a WH 25BHS that weighs in at around 7klbs loaded with a family of 4 and a truck bed of fire wood using a F150. I didn't want to go with the F350 because it's my everyday truck although I wanted the 350 but I didn't want to buy an extra car so I didn't have to drive a big rig around everyday. My only regret not having a F350 with an 8 foot bed is I want to be able to put a seadoo on an elevated ramp but oh well. I love my truck and set up. I bought a 2016 F150 with the max tow, tow mirrors, class V hitch, and Ecoboost. It is rated to tow 12,000lbs and 3k plus payload but I bought the max of everything an F150 can have and it works great! The average F150 that they sell off the lot would probably pull my trailer but it would be not as fun. I pull up and over the mountains here in WA at 60 mph at around 2400 rpm's. Was worried on my first trip but all worries are gone now I ran the numbers and I'm at about 36% below my max tow capacity which is well within the safety range of 20%. Will the F350 pull better well I'm sure it would but my truck is fully loaded and bad ass! I know if I go any bigger on the TT such as a 28-32 bunkhouse I would not use my F150 with all the stuff I know about towing now but having the 25 bunkhouse WH is perfect but doesn't have the couch however I have a large dining area

With your set up I would personally upgrade the truck cause you will be maxed out and it won't be a fun towing experience. Since you will be upgrading go for the 3/4 ton!

2016 25BHS White Hawk 2016 F-150 Lariat V-6 ECO-BEAST (Ruby Red) Max tow package & Recurve R-3 WD hitch. Can't forget the dog "Olive" all black lab :)
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:47 PM   #32
Thanks for all the advice. We bought the trailer today and pick it up in 2 weeks. I will only be towing it an hour away home for the first few trips and will definitely be going to the scales a few times to weigh before I go. I will be looking for a new truck this fall so I'm ready for bigger trips next summer.

So now that it have been a while what did you decide?

2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L w/4.10 gears
2016 Dutchmen Denali 287RE TT
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:36 AM   #33
I didn't read the full thread but I saw a few messages about not feeling comfortable towing with the 1/2 ton. I'm on my 3rd season (6000 miles) pulling my 27DSRL (7500lbs) with my '91 Ford Bronco (1/2 ton). I use the Pro Pride hitch and I highly recommend it. I know people will look at the price tag and say "no way I'm paying that much" but it's cheaper then a new 3/4 ton truck. This past July I crossed Death Valley, CA with cross winds between 45 - 60 mph and maintained 55 mph. Using the Pro Pride I've never felt my trailer swaying or out of control and I've always felt comfortable driving at highway speeds.
rgchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:55 AM   #34
Over the 3 years we have owned our 2014 WHawk, it has been a dream to tow. Compared to the previous 2 TT's and a couple large boats I have to constantly remind myself that I am towing a 9k TT. It is stable, almost no sway, and tracks straight and true. The only issue with our 08 Silverado 1/2 ton was the elevated tranny temp. Even though the GM dealer said we were well within the recommended temp, I upgraded to a 2500 in the 2nd year.

You will be fine with your 1500 even for the occasional longer trip. Just be mindful of loading as light as possible and keep your speed in the 60-65 range or lower. If you get into a section of hard towes [climbs or lots of stop and go] pull over and let your TV idle for 15 minutes while family hits the bathroom or lays out lunch. Let the tranny cool off for a few minutes before shutting off the engine.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:34 AM   #35

The truck definitely had the power the only thing I didn't like was the trailer pushing the truck around
Well since I have never really towed anything before I won't know how much better a 3/4 ton would be compared to my F150. ( I have to keep trying to rationalize this purchase and convince myself to move forward.)

How do you like the trailer? There isn't one for sale anywhere near me so I may order the 28bhks without seeing one in person..

Brutis111 is offline   Reply With Quote