Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-11-2016, 11:04 PM   #21

Thanks for all the advice. We bought the trailer today and pick it up in 2 weeks. I will only be towing it an hour away home for the first few trips and will definitely be going to the scales a few times to weigh before I go. I will be looking for a new truck this fall so I'm ready for bigger trips next summer.
toddfrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:23 AM   #22

Congrats!!!!

As you know just keep in mind how you load and get a good wdh with integrated sway control.

Not sure what the dealer may be selling/including, but I would highly suggest at minimum the Reese Dual Cam, Reese SC, or Equal-I-Zer 4 way system. All three are very good for the price without spending the big money on a Hensley or Pro Pride system.

And once the trailer is loaded you will probably need to readjust the wdh. The dealer is only setting it up for an empty trailer. If needed, follow my signature links for a ton of wdh.

Make sure to air the rear tires up to the max cold sidewall pressure. And play with the fronts to see what feels the best. I can't remember what front psi I was using with the stock tires.

Good luck!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:33 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukeneck View Post
All of the information listed is valid and good info. Many members on here pull TT's having similar weight with 1/2 ton pickups, myself included. You are pushing the limits of the truck but many do it and have had no problems. If you are pulling as a part time recreational camper, you'll probably be OK. I think most of us don't want to go spend $40-$60 grand on a new truck. If you're full timing it, I would get a larger truck. My .02
Totally agree and you have summed up the ?? quite well. There is a big difference between a part time recreational camper and a full timer. Pulling your rig a few times each year to a near by state park or the occasional longer trip to the Smokies vs the other end of the spectrum will trigger a different answer to the op's question about a 1/2 ton's capabilities.

A good Wdh and careful loading and "do I need it or should I buy it when we arrive at our destination" will bring your new TT and 150 well into the OK window for safe and comfortable towing. Enjoy your new TT.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:43 PM   #24

We pull our 27RLS 31.9 feet 6,900 empty in the WV mountains with our 1/2 ton and we have no problems.
ryounglewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:08 PM   #25

Lots of good advice above, especially about payload limits. I would also point out that the bigger issue isn't so much how much you can pull; it's how much weight is behind you when you need to stop. 8500 lbs behind a half ton is a whole lot of weight that can, and will, push you around. IMHO it's best to stay within about two thirds of your limits max so that you have some "runway" when things get a bit interesting (steep hills, extra loads, really hot days, sudden stops, cross winds, etc). No matter what, good luck. Enjoy the new trailer.
wcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:40 AM   #26

A duramax 3500 HD will pull it. [emoji2]. (Sorry, I just had to).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:07 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbailey View Post
A duramax 3500 HD will pull it. [emoji2]. (Sorry, I just had to).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
U so bad....
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:15 PM   #28

I have almost the same truck and am seriously considering the same travel trailer. Just wondering what you think of the tow vehicle and trailer after you have used it. How do you like the bathroom door on the backside of the trailer? Any options you would suggest getting?
Brutis111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:40 PM   #29

Hi Brutiss111,

I have towed it 6 times now on the flat prairies. A couple of times it was a 50km/hr wind and I didn't like it. The trailer threw the truck around a bit I did't feel like it was out of control but wasn't comfortable. My cousin who has towed trailers this size for 10 years said he thought it was fine when I let him drive. Maybe I just need some experience but I am gonna take a F250 out and tow the trailer to see what it tows like.

I know this isn't a helpful answer but I'm still trying to figure out if I'm staying with the F150 or going up to a 250
Old 09-10-2016, 09:42 PM   #30

Brutiss111

The truck definitely had the power the only thing I didn't like was the trailer pushing the truck around
Old 09-10-2016, 09:48 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddfrei View Post
I'm new to this forum so sorry if this has been covered already but I couldn't find it anywhere. I am looking at getting a 2015 Whitehawk 28BHKS, its dry weight is listed at 6160lbs loaded 8200lbs. My 2012 F-150 is rated for 9400lbs max tow. Is this too much TT for my truck.

I tow a WH 25BHS that weighs in at around 7klbs loaded with a family of 4 and a truck bed of fire wood using a F150. I didn't want to go with the F350 because it's my everyday truck although I wanted the 350 but I didn't want to buy an extra car so I didn't have to drive a big rig around everyday. My only regret not having a F350 with an 8 foot bed is I want to be able to put a seadoo on an elevated ramp but oh well. I love my truck and set up. I bought a 2016 F150 with the max tow, tow mirrors, class V hitch, and Ecoboost. It is rated to tow 12,000lbs and 3k plus payload but I bought the max of everything an F150 can have and it works great! The average F150 that they sell off the lot would probably pull my trailer but it would be not as fun. I pull up and over the mountains here in WA at 60 mph at around 2400 rpm's. Was worried on my first trip but all worries are gone now I ran the numbers and I'm at about 36% below my max tow capacity which is well within the safety range of 20%. Will the F350 pull better well I'm sure it would but my truck is fully loaded and bad ass! I know if I go any bigger on the TT such as a 28-32 bunkhouse I would not use my F150 with all the stuff I know about towing now but having the 25 bunkhouse WH is perfect but doesn't have the couch however I have a large dining area

With your set up I would personally upgrade the truck cause you will be maxed out and it won't be a fun towing experience. Since you will be upgrading go for the 3/4 ton!
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:47 PM   #32

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice. We bought the trailer today and pick it up in 2 weeks. I will only be towing it an hour away home for the first few trips and will definitely be going to the scales a few times to weigh before I go. I will be looking for a new truck this fall so I'm ready for bigger trips next summer.

So now that it have been a while what did you decide?
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:36 AM   #33

I didn't read the full thread but I saw a few messages about not feeling comfortable towing with the 1/2 ton. I'm on my 3rd season (6000 miles) pulling my 27DSRL (7500lbs) with my '91 Ford Bronco (1/2 ton). I use the Pro Pride hitch and I highly recommend it. I know people will look at the price tag and say "no way I'm paying that much" but it's cheaper then a new 3/4 ton truck. This past July I crossed Death Valley, CA with cross winds between 45 - 60 mph and maintained 55 mph. Using the Pro Pride I've never felt my trailer swaying or out of control and I've always felt comfortable driving at highway speeds.
rgchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:55 AM   #34

Over the 3 years we have owned our 2014 WHawk, it has been a dream to tow. Compared to the previous 2 TT's and a couple large boats I have to constantly remind myself that I am towing a 9k TT. It is stable, almost no sway, and tracks straight and true. The only issue with our 08 Silverado 1/2 ton was the elevated tranny temp. Even though the GM dealer said we were well within the recommended temp, I upgraded to a 2500 in the 2nd year.

You will be fine with your 1500 even for the occasional longer trip. Just be mindful of loading as light as possible and keep your speed in the 60-65 range or lower. If you get into a section of hard towes [climbs or lots of stop and go] pull over and let your TV idle for 15 minutes while family hits the bathroom or lays out lunch. Let the tranny cool off for a few minutes before shutting off the engine.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:34 AM   #35

Quote:
Brutiss111

The truck definitely had the power the only thing I didn't like was the trailer pushing the truck around
Well since I have never really towed anything before I won't know how much better a 3/4 ton would be compared to my F150. ( I have to keep trying to rationalize this purchase and convince myself to move forward.)

How do you like the trailer? There isn't one for sale anywhere near me so I may order the 28bhks without seeing one in person..
Brutis111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 06:35 AM   #36

Quote:
I'm new to this forum so sorry if this has been covered already but I couldn't find it anywhere. I am looking at getting a 2015 Whitehawk 28BHKS, its dry weight is listed at 6160lbs loaded 8200lbs. My 2012 F-150 is rated for 9400lbs max tow. Is this too much TT for my truck.
That is a nice TT. We have a White Hawk 32RL, towing with a 2017 Nissan Titan. The dry weight is 8800lbs, but, loaded we are closer to 9200lbs. It is a real challenge to pull, but, we do it for now. The truck manufacturer stated 9420 was the max for this truck, so we thought we were golden. However, in order to help with that much weight I added the Roadmaster Active Suspension, and am still dialing in the hitch. Hind site is always 20/20, and would never had recommend this setup on any 1/2 ton truck. But, a new truck is not in the cards for us yet, so, we make do. I just take it easy, and try really hard not to overload the TT or the bed of the truck. So, I too am learning. We will eventually upgrade the truck, but, again, this is what we have, and we still get out there. My takeaway from this experience... Do not believe the numbers that the manufacturer states, even on the door sticker.
Spaceguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:48 AM   #37

[/QUOTE] The dry weight is 8800lbs, but, loaded we are closer to 9200lbs. It is a real challenge to pull, but, we do it for now. The truck manufacturer stated 9420 was the max for this truck, so we thought we were golden. However, in order to help with that much weight I added the Roadmaster [/QUOTE]

That is to much trailer for your truck unless you want to white knuckle your trips. I had a 2016 F-150 Lariat with road master active suspension. My tow rating was 11,000 lbs with the eco-boost I could pull it with no problem, plenty of power. My struggle was the tongue weight was exceeding the limits. The most important number to watch for is tongue weight. Dry weights look good on paper but once you have two full tanks of propane, WD hitch, and a couple of batteries with front storage loaded for a camping trip, you will easily hit 1,000 to 1200 lbs of tongue weight. Oh and I forgot to add how much are you going to load in the truck bed and people. My 2 cents upgrade the truck not the suspension. Once I went to an F-350 my trips were so much more enjoyable. Good luck - Jayco is a great trailer, really miss my 2016 Jayco BHS.
Old 09-27-2021, 03:18 PM   #38

The dry weight is 8800lbs, but, loaded we are closer to 9200lbs. It is a real challenge to pull, but, we do it for now. The truck manufacturer stated 9420 was the max for this truck, so we thought we were golden. However, in order to help with that much weight I added the Roadmaster [/QUOTE]

That is to much trailer for your truck unless you want to white knuckle your trips. I had a 2016 F-150 Lariat with road master active suspension. My tow rating was 11,000 lbs with the eco-boost I could pull it with no problem, plenty of power. My struggle was the tongue weight was exceeding the limits. The most important number to watch for is tongue weight. Dry weights look good on paper but once you have two full tanks of propane, WD hitch, and a couple of batteries with front storage loaded for a camping trip, you will easily hit 1,000 to 1200 lbs of tongue weight. Oh and I forgot to add how much are you going to load in the truck bed and people. My 2 cents upgrade the truck not the suspension. Once I went to an F-350 my trips were so much more enjoyable. Good luck - Jayco is a great trailer, really miss my 2016 Jayco BHS.[/QUOTE]
Yes I do agree somewhat, but, it is NOT white knucking.... It makes me realize that I have 36.6 ft of trailer behind me. Like I said, we will upgrade when we can afford it, but, I already have the Titan, and being a King Cab, my bed length is longer (6ft) than the Crew cab version. It seems to work fine for now. Thanks.
Old 09-28-2021, 11:45 PM   #39

For sure, if you shrink the truck cab down the trucks pay load capacity goes up considerably. Most people have a crew cab and my reply was geared for a crew cab truck. Sorry I should of noted that in my response.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:56 AM   #40

Nissan Titan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropnaduece View Post
For sure, if you shrink the truck cab down the trucks pay load capacity goes up considerably. Most people have a crew cab and my reply was geared for a crew cab truck. Sorry I should of noted that in my response.
Hey, no worries at all. We are are just trying to help each other in this adventure. When I bought the titan, I found that the King Cab (Extended Cab) had much higher payload numbers, so that is what we went with. Who would have guessed that less than 6 months later, we would upgrade the TT. Funny thing is, we went from a large, fully equiped Popup, weighing about 4700lbs to the White Hawk. We really got a very good deal on the 32RL at the time, and the 2018 Popup was worth more than what we paid brand new, so we did alright. The next upgrade will indeed be a 1 ton truck, just not sure yet which brand. I am very partial to Nissan, after coming from years of Dodge trucks, but, Nissan just has not stepped up to the plate for heavy duty trucks yet. And, the Titan only has a 26 gallon fuel tank, so that is not a good selling point for towing either. Anyway, thanks for your comments.