Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2016, 09:32 AM   #1

Is anyone towing a white hawk 28BHKS with a half ton?

I'm new to this forum so sorry if this has been covered already but I couldn't find it anywhere. I am looking at getting a 2015 Whitehawk 28BHKS, its dry weight is listed at 6160lbs loaded 8200lbs. My 2012 F-150 is rated for 9400lbs max tow. Is this too much TT for my truck.
toddfrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:51 AM   #2

From what I've read on this forum, that TT is probably too much for your truck. Not in regards to towing, but more to payload.

I'm about to get a Whitehawk 27DSRL anytime now and it's fairly close to what your set up is. Even though I've seen other forum members make it work, it's probably not ideal. I'll probably upgrade to a 3/4 ton next year for safety. I'm sure others will chime in.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:53 AM   #3

Pulling is rarely the problem and you can pull your new trailer, however what is the tongue weight and the maximun payload on your truck ? That is going to determine if your truck is capable or not. And remember, for some the truck is never big enough......if you do your homework you will know for sure if the numbers are within the truck specs, and i think it will since its a max tow, so ....... you wont have to follow the upcoming recommendation about buying a fully loaded 3500Duramax allisson dually with reinforced leaf spring :-)

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:10 AM   #4

Todd,

Welcome!!!

As mentioned, just because your truck is rated to "pull 9400lbs", t is the available payload that is the issue. As a starting point, the yellow payload sticker in your drivers door jamb will state "all occupants and cargo not to exceed XXXXlbs".... How much is the stated payload?

Any passengers, cargo (coolers, bikes, firewood,etc), any accessories added to the truck (truck topper/tonneau cover, step has,etc), the wdh (weight distribution hitch), and the tt tw (travel trailer tongue weight) ALL count toward the trucks payload....

Good luck!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:44 AM   #5

The sticker on the door jamb says GVWR 7350lbs
Old 07-08-2016, 10:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddfrei View Post
The sticker on the door jamb says GVWR 7350lbs
7350 is a pretty healthy GVWR. Does the sticker say anything like "the total weight of occupants and cargo is not to exceed X,XXX lbs"? That will be your available payload as the truck was equipped from the factory.

As an alternative, you can take your truck to a scale loaded as close as you can get it with passengers and gear as if you were going camping and weigh it. Subtract that number from the 7350 GVWR listed on the sticker and that's your available payload.

As others have said, it's payload and Rear GAWR you will run out of first on that truck. "Towing Capacity" as listed in marketing materials is virtually irrelevant when it comes to pulling a big box down the freeway. Since you don't yet have the trailer, I would start with its GVWR, and 15% for tongue weight as a stepping off point for your weight estimates. That way you KNOW you will be within spec when the trailer is as heavy as it can be.

All that being said, and off the cuff, I think you'll likely be okay with that combination, but be sure to do your due diligence and check the numbers for your self to be certain.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:19 AM   #7

my front gawr is 3750lbs and rear gawr is 4050lbs. The listed dry hitch weight is 710lbs. Sorry I'm new to this whole weights thing
Old 07-08-2016, 12:05 PM   #8

In the trucks drivers door jamb, should be a yellow sticker with tire info, stating max payload. What is that amount?

Old 07-08-2016, 01:11 PM   #9

yes the sticker says the weight of passengers and cargo should not exceed 1375lbs.

thanks for all your help
Old 07-08-2016, 01:14 PM   #10

That is the manufactures "brochure" dry tw of 710lbs??? Know that the listed "brochure" dry tw does not include the weight of the propane tanks or a battery on the tongue.... Those will add ~120lbs for 2-20lb tanks and a battery, or ~160lbs for 2-30lb tanks and a battery.... So your tw is up to 830lbs or 870lbs before loading the trailer with anything.

That is why some suggest to use 12% (or 13%) of the trailers gvwr to estimate the loaded tw. Helps to compare for adequate tv payload, and to purchase the correct rated wd bars....

What is the total family weight? What do you anticipate to load in the truck bed weight wise?

Don't worry, we all started out with a ton to learn as well!!! Just don't hesitate to ask any question you may have!!!

YW!!!

Old 07-08-2016, 05:51 PM   #11

Quote:
yes the sticker says the weight of passengers and cargo should not exceed 1375lbs.

thanks for all your help
unfortunatly looking at it from here, i would say not enough truck ! The tongue will be eating more than half of the 1400. That leaves you with very little room for cargo once the family is in the truck. Well dont listen to me, keep doing your homework, its very important to learn the process

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:51 PM   #12

I'm towing a 2013 model with a Ford F250, and though a F150 Ecoboost may have the power to pull it, I would worry about the lower wight of that truck, especially the new aluminum models, so my advice would be to stay away from 1/4 tons with this trailer.
rinkrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Not enough truck, then . My F150 has a similarly low limit, 1425, and my X213 turns out to be a pretty good match. Me, wife, kids, dog, 750 pounds of trailer tongue, hitch, a few bundles of firewood, and we're rapidly approaching 1425. If you had the max tow package it might work, but a regular F150 doesn't really have enough payload to pull a 28+ foot trailer.
Rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Don't worry, we all started out with a ton to learn as well!!! Just don't hesitate to ask any question you may have!!!

YW!!!
Got a morning chuckle to this comment haha... The OP probably wishes he had a TON truck after reading all the comments above hehe...

Being old school here we always never considered pulling anything bigger then a 24-foot trailer with a half-ton truck setup... When reading what all the new truck claims sure gets your attention...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:40 AM   #15

Roy Braddy, I guess I fall into that old school catagory with you. That is exactly why we are not the proud owners of that beautiful Whitehawk 27 RLDS. We both LOVED the floor plan and the fact that it was a Jayco but, I did not feel our 2010 5.4 SCREW with tow package and 3:55 gears could handle it. In my opinion the "Ultra Lite" 4500 lb. TT we setteled for is almost too much for it. Where do manufacturers pull these numbers from ?
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:21 AM   #16

Quote:

thanks for all your help
Wow! That's surprising IMO on a vehicle with GVWR of 7350. I had about the same payload in my GMC 1500 with a much lower GVWR. I was dealing with a different (bigger) trailer though.

If I were you, I would get as many weights as you can, and be conservative with them (meaning I would use the heaviest reasonable weights I might expect). Take the truck to a scale to see what your REAL payload is. For the trailer, don't use the brochure tongue weights, they are not accurate to what you will experience. If you can find a trailer on the lot, it has its own yellow sticker that will list an "as shipped" weight that is much closer to reality. Personally, I would use the maximum GVWR on the trailer, and 15% of that number would be my estimated tongue weight. Compare that to what you have left on the truck. Then the decision is yours.

I have a feeling you're going to be very close to, if not over, your truck's specifications. If you decide to pull the trigger anyway, knowing you'll be close or over, you'll be in the market for a new truck (or a lighter trailer) in the next year or so. I see it all the time here, and I've been there myself.

I've said it before, and I've been there before too; just because it's good on paper doesn't mean you're going to like it going down the road. YMMV, but I was never comfortable towing on the margin with my previous setup.

Some people are perfectly comfortable going all the way up to 100% or more of their vehicle's rated specifications, but that's not for me. I take comfort in knowing that my truck can handle my trailer well beyond it's GVWR.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:42 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
Got a morning chuckle to this comment haha... The OP probably wishes he had a TON truck after reading all the comments above hehe...

Being old school here we always never considered pulling anything bigger then a 24-foot trailer with a half-ton truck setup... When reading what all the new truck claims sure gets your attention...

Roy Ken
Who am I trying to kid.... I am still learning!!! Lol

Old 07-11-2016, 12:00 PM   #18

I pulled my 2014 WH 30DSRE with about the same stats and a bit longer with a 2008 Silverado half ton. No argument it was at or over the max rating and payload BUT it towed great with a good WDH hitch and some reasonable planning with what and how I loaded. The only thing I experienced was increased tranny temps that the dealer said were well within the tolerances for the truck. Upgraded to a 3/4 ton Duramax a year later when I found a 3 year old with low miles for a reasonable price. Knew I would be upgrading eventually but never felt the v8 gasser struggle even on long upgrades.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:32 PM   #19

NO substitute for weighing YOUR TV. Period. See this:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ton-15074.html

Today's truck makers have a ways to go on truly labeling their products so that us consumers can EASILY figure out what we can tow. In the meantime, we have to exercise our brains a bit more!

As always, YMMV!

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD Crew Cab, long box, Duramax and 3.73, SRW
Equal-i-zer 1k WDH, 2013 White Hawk 27DSRL

Los Madrones, a little slice of Texas hill country heaven
www.losmadrones.com
mikmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:28 PM   #20

All of the information listed is valid and good info. Many members on here pull TT's having similar weight with 1/2 ton pickups, myself included. You are pushing the limits of the truck but many do it and have had no problems. If you are pulling as a part time recreational camper, you'll probably be OK. I think most of us don't want to go spend $40-$60 grand on a new truck. If you're full timing it, I would get a larger truck. My .02

2005 Forest River Rockwood 2601 (Sold)
2011 Ford Expedition XLT (Sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler (Just for fun!)
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote