Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2011, 10:02 AM   #1

Is it possible to fill up the water tank...

Is it possible to fill up the fresh water tank without bringing it to a campground and using the hoses there? I will be boondocking quite a bit so this would really come in handy. I'm already anticipating getting one of the Barker totes as well for the waste.

Thanks
StarGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:05 AM   #2

You can fill it with any hose.
etep571190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:54 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

StarGazer,

I boondock a lot as well and addressing the needs of the fresh water tank has a lot to do with what is available where one boondocks. I avoid (when possible) towing with a full tank of fresh water because of the added weight and the impact on the settings of my WDH.

If a water spigot is available I will hook a hose up (if allowed) and fill my tank, then head to the campsite. Some water spigots are designed so you can't even hook a hose to it. I also carry a 5 gallon plastic jug in the event there is only a hand pump available so at least I can fill my tank with the jug (takes a few trips).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:53 AM   #4

That's what I was getting at. Filling up without a water hookup of anykind. Here's the scenario:

I have my trailer all nice and setup on my property off a private road in a very wooded area in the Adirondacks. No hookups, no nothing. Complete boondocking. I leave the trailer there when I go home and go back and forth on weekends to vacation on this property throughout the summer.

I would prefer not to have to hitch up and bring it to a campground nearby when my fresh water starts running low. So I was thinking of perhaps bringing maybe a couple 5 gallon containers of water with me when I go up for the weekend and add it to the tank. Is this possible? Do I need a pressurized water source from a hose? Or can I just like setup a funnel and dump the water into the tank?
Old 04-23-2011, 12:15 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarGazer View Post
snip...... Is this possible? Do I need a pressurized water source from a hose? Or can I just like setup a funnel and dump the water into the tank?
StarGazer,

Yes on the possible, and No you don't need to pressurize anything..., and Yes just pour the water into the tank via the outside capped opening. The pump operating off the 12V battery will prime itself and maintain the required pressure for use. I assume that you have a plan for maintaining a charged battery, and it's best not to let a battery drop below 50% of full charge.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 04-23-2011, 01:13 PM   #6

Hi Bob,

Thanks! I'm currently trying to decide on a generator. An inverter type is a must for me. I don't want some crazy loud motor running. So I guess that leaves the Yamahas or Hondas.

Trying to decide on one 3000w or 2 2000w running parallel.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:23 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

StarGazer,

Yep, I'm tossing back and forth between going with a 300W solar panel system, or a Honda 2000W generator. If I go solar I don't plan to have a generator for backup because I'm pretty conservative on my daily amp/hr usage, and I'm not worried about running my A/C or Micro.

I hope to decide next month.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 04-23-2011, 01:37 PM   #8

I bought a 55 gal drum that was used for pop syrup and fill it up at home than siphon it into my tank.
joefresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:15 PM   #9

You can also get a collapsible water bladder. Use a shurflo pump and pump it into the trailer tank.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #10

Quote:
I'm already anticipating getting one of the Barker totes as well for the waste
Second on the Barker Tote. I love mine....well as much as you can love a blue tote

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #11

When buying a blue tote just remember to get the one with the biggest wheels. The bigger the wheels the better. Mine has a side dump and it beats the heck out of lifting the tote to dump it.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarGazer View Post
Hi Bob,

Thanks! I'm currently trying to decide on a generator. An inverter type is a must for me. I don't want some crazy loud motor running. So I guess that leaves the Yamahas or Hondas.

Trying to decide on one 3000w or 2 2000w running parallel.
I currently have a Honda EU2000, BUT, you might look into the Kipor line of generators. They have a good reputation, and are inverter type, and less costly than the Hondas.

Tom
altar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
When buying a blue tote just remember to get the one with the biggest wheels. The bigger the wheels the better. Mine has a side dump and it beats the heck out of lifting the tote to dump it.
Where can you get a blue tote with a side dump??

2011 Jayco Flight G2 23FB
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:03 AM   #14

The Barker 4 wheeled totes all have the side dumps....they are super easy to use.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:30 PM   #15

Hey Stargazer, glad you asked these questions. I am also going to be a "strict boondocker with my brand new swift 26bh on my remote hunting property. No electric, no water hookups, no moving the trailer. So I am having the dealer add an additional battery and I am also trying to figure out whether its one 300 yamaha or 2 2000's. Keep in touch so we can share ideas. I will be in it every weekend during the winter too so I was thinking of "winterizing the tanks" every weekend so the pipes dont freeze during the week. Anyone else have any better ideas?
- Newbie in the Catskills!
jlibasci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:14 PM   #16

Hey Jilbasci - if you are not going to be running AC - which is usually the biggest power hog - then I would think a 2000 would be fine. You are mainly going to be using the generator to charge the battery and occasionally power the Microwave. Everything else (fridge/water heater/lights/pump) will all be running from the battery. Your biggest challenge is to keep the batteries charged enough to run your heater - which can pull quite a bit from your batteries overnight. You can run like a Mr. Buddy heater to save power, but I just don't like running those in such a small space -- not as much about the CO, but the radiant heat and close proximity to objects in the camper.

Keep us up to date on what you figure out works best -- I am sure several folks would like to hear how things work for you...

That is going to be a challenge (but not impossible) to winterize every weekend...you need about 2 gallons of anti-freeze to a 26BH and will take you about 30 minutes each time. Do you have a way to transport that much water with you each week to fill your fresh water tank? Do you have somewhere on site to dump waste?

Old 08-31-2011, 02:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefresh View Post
I bought a 55 gal drum that was used for pop syrup and fill it up at home than siphon it into my tank.
My son and I each purchased one of the 55 gal blue drums and then went on craigslist and purchased a shurflow water pump. I purchased one that was identical to the one in my TT. (That way I have a spare as well as a useful tool) Just hook it up to a small 12 volt battery like a motorcycle battery and you have a pressurized system that you can use as an outside dishwashing station, or to fill the tank on the TT.

No big deal to strap the drum in the back of the truck and then go to town to fill. Leave it in the truck bed while camping in the sun and makes a nice shower as well.

simple hose hookup to drop down in the barrel and hooked up a sink sprayer on the outflow side to do dishes or showers...easily screws off for filling TT.

Wife loves it, kids love it, easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Next mod for this setup is a small 12 volt charging solar panel that I can put on top. This will keep the MC battery topped of an ready for use without having to charge via gen.

Regards,

NetStalker
NetStalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:48 PM   #18

I recently bought a small 12v pump at Harbor Freight for around $40. We have our trailer on our river lot and with just two 6.5 gal cans we never run out of water. For longer stays we also have a 15 gal juice barrel.

Years ago we didn't have power on the lot and a small 650 watt Honda kept everything working while we were there. It will run about 8 hours on a liter of gas. It kept the batteries up and we could use all the lights, furnace, television and vcr.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:57 PM   #19

I used to use a food grade drum also. It was 35 gallons and contained simple sugar. I found a better solution.

I picked up a 30 gallon potable water bladder. I only paid $69 for it. The one I got I had to rig up a garden hose to the spigot, which was simple using a 1/2 hose and clamp. It fills through this spigot also. It folds up small so no storage issue.

The best part is no pump is necessary. When I run outta water I drive to the freshwater spigot, throw the bladder on the roof of me truck,fill it,drive back to camper and fill up the camper. The elevation I gain from using my truck roof works good. I can fill using pressure on the bladder also...so using the roof of my truck isn't necessary but its so easy.

30 Gallon H2O Bladder
InspiredBMX is offline   Reply With Quote