Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-24-2011, 08:57 PM   #1

Is something missing

Making the bed on our 33rlds, we pulled the bed away from the front wall. On each side of the board that the mattres is on there is about 1-1 1/2 inches of nothing. it is right where the shelves are. You can look right into the front storage. Just wondering if thats the way it is supposed to be or did somebody forget to fill in the gap. I thiink that it would be a easy fix with some wood. Thanx Ernie
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:16 PM   #2
Site Team

I`m assuming you have the front queen bed on gas struts and plywood with a nightstand on each side, and the storage underneath like mine and many other models. Mine also has the gaps between the bed and the nightstand, you can slide your hand right down into the storage compartment between the mattress and the nightstand. I suppose this space is to give enough clearance for the bed to raise up on the struts without hitting the sides. But it does let cold air in from the unheated pass through compartment up to your mattress! - Lee
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:46 PM   #3

I don't have the gaps but I do have holes cut into the the board that looks right down into the basement area... I was wondering about those...
Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcany View Post
Making the bed on our 33rlds, we pulled the bed away from the front wall. On each side of the board that the mattres is on there is about 1-1 1/2 inches of nothing. it is right where the shelves are. You can look right into the front storage. Just wondering if thats the way it is supposed to be or did somebody forget to fill in the gap. I thiink that it would be a easy fix with some wood. Thanx Ernie
I have the jayco 314bds with queen in front and two night stands and have similiar gaps. Waiting to spring to figure out good way to close off/insulate to prevent drafts. Live in NY and have to wait to it warms up and snow melts:drooling:
lou1216gc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:18 PM   #5

Fixed the problem. Took 2 pieces of 3/4 thick by 3 inches wide wood, by about 37 inches long screwed them together to look like a "L". In the front storage portion of the trailer the nitestand panel hung down a little, took weatherstripping put it on the long side of the "L", put liquid nails on short side and pressed the wood up against the back side of the nite stand panel. So now when the bed is raised there is no more open area and when bed is down it rest on the weatherstrippinf. Can't post pics so i hope this helps. Ernie
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:53 AM   #6

I've got those too

I have 1 2010 314 bds. Have those gaps as well. I'll definitely be closing them up as well. Sounds like alot of folks having that issue. Great idea with the wood and weatherstriping.

2008 Ford F-250 Crew Cab
6.4 Turbo Diesel 4:10 rear
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy
jwmmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:07 AM   #7

I cut a couple strips of Reflictix material I had left over from our HTT days, folded it into an 'L' shape and stuffed it in the gap. I'm thinking of making it more permanent like Permany did, good idea.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote