Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #11
Site Team
At times Jayco has been criticized on this and other forums for this video which shows a Jayflight 26BH being built in 7 hrs. But testimonies like SmokerBills who has the 26BH model show they (Jayflights) hold up well and the criticism is unfounded.

2004 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0l, 4.10r

2010 Jayco Jayflight 28BHS
Reese Strait Line with Dual Cam
P3 Brk controller
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:26 PM   #12
I agree Crabman. Actually, I'm surprised that my TT is still in great shape, as rough as it's had it. But I do think that the simplicity and popularity of the model has something to do with the 26BH being particularly durable. I would guess that the 26BH build team has the process down pat.

2011 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab
2011 Jay Flight 26BH
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:37 PM   #13
I don't own one, but I can say from an observation standpoint. They are everywhere. Every campground is full of them. So I imagine they are great trailers. And as others have mentioned I'd be willing to bet they'd hold up better than the fiberglass. There are lots of very old tin and stick trailers on the road. With the proper maintenance I think you would be fine.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:00 PM   #14
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
I have put a good 40K miles on my Jay Flight 26BH. It's even experienced a few stop-your-heart emergency stops (once, on a two lane road in Nevada, going down the side of a mountain on a dark, rainy night, I almost ran into a small herd of black angus cattle, which I couldn't see until I was VERY close!), and it's holding up well. It's travelled down some rough roads, been stuck on a muddy dirt road, driven over a few curbs, and even had a minor collision at the top with a concrete picnic table roof.

It's been pounded with hailstones and drenched in deluges of horizontal rain, blanketed with deep snow, blasted with barrages of blowing sand and dust, and seared in the summer sun.

I've worn one set of tires down to the steel belts and am in the process of wearing out the second set.

No problems with the water heater, air conditioning or furnace, although I did replace the stock thermostat with a digital (the Coleman-Mach thermo did do some strange things at times). The water pump had a problem running when it shouldn't, but I think it was a dirt particle holding the check valve open slightly. It's since repaired itself.

I did have to replace the toilet fresh water shutoff valve after two years of use. It started leaking a bit when it should have been shut off. Luckily I caught it before it overflowed the bowl and flooded the floor. The blade seal at the bottom of the bowl has leaked a couple of times, but a little cleaning has always fixed it.

Because of my inattention, the awning has a small rip along the top where it attaches to the trailer- I left it extended during some strong winds- but I can fix that problem with some tough flexible material and a heavy duty sewing kit.

Currently, I'm parked at a full hookup rv park, and probably will be doing this for a while. In the past it was mostly boondocking in the Northwest forests or the Arizona deserts. My generator got a good workout.

Overall, my TT has seen some hard use, over the last three years, and still seems very solid. I don't see why it wouldn't last another 10 years or more, easily.
Sweet, the 26BH is the trailer that our family is eyeballing! I had the same question about Aluminum Vs Fiberglass. Very glad to hear that it's durable! As soon as I get my 2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel I'm going to pull the trigger on the 26BH!
Spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:59 PM   #15
We bought our 2008 Jayflight G2 BHDS this spring, and due to too many things to do, we have yet to take her out. My 11 year old son and I have had 'sleepovers' in it though, and are well pleased with the stock beds! It is in excellent shape and I am so thrilled with it. Just can't wait to take her out. Hopefully in a couple of weeks we can go. When DH and I were trailer hunting, this was the one with the exact layout I wanted. We were blessed to find one close to home for sale, and for a great price. We had thought the fiberglass sides would have been a better option, but after reading this thread, I'm thinking we lucked out!
2 legs-Trev, Sue, Alley, Zac
4 legs-Zoey, Freddie, Angel, Oliver, Sweet Pea and Rango

2008 Jayco Jayflight G2 31BHDS
2012 Dodge 3500 Cummins Diesel, Crew Cab/ Short Box
Little Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:48 PM   #16
You ask if the Jay Flight is built for the long hall?

Going by the one we have, I would say Yes, very well built travel trailer. Ours is stick & tin, this is by far the best built travel trailer that we have owned.
2015 Jay Flight 23 RB
2014 Silverado LT 1500 with a 5.3 V8 Ecotec3
Hitch Pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:13 PM   #17
we have been full timing in our 2008 25RKS for 2 years and lots and lots of miles back and forth to Arizona for winters and it has stood up very well. I figure with tin and stick construction I can fix any damage, not so with a damaged smooth wall.
dieselgord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:51 AM   #18
Plan on an upgrade for the tires. We went up a size to 14 inch.

2013 x17z jayfeather ultralite
2011 Nissen frontier v6
Gary & Donna
Retired Wisconsinittes
donnajk is offline   Reply With Quote