Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #21

On my 30.5 BHLT there is an outside drop down stove and sink area. Although the sink doesn't have a drain, it is VERY handy especially hooking up the outside hose and sprayer which allows hot water to be sprayed. This area takes no room on the inside. I don't think that I would want to give up living space for an outdoor center.

I have a 12V electric cooler which while travelling is powered by the back of the pickup, and when on-site hooked up to a 12V power converter. The cooler acts as a fridge and I can place it near the door for easy access while in doors.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #22

When shopping our current Jayco we looked at competitors with this option at the time, 2010 before Jayco started to offer. It looked great in photos and ad's but once I saw it in person I noticed that if you were tall the door on the outdoor kitchen was in the way due to it being on shock struts. I was slouched over to use the kitchen which turned me off to it.

I don't know how Jayco has it setup with the door in the open position but might be something to consider in your list of pros or cons. If however you have seen this in person and it suits you then it might make a nice option for you. Having dry, wind proof storage outside for plates, cups, untensils, condiments and beverages would be nice.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #23

I am 6'5" and have yet to be a campsite where the kitchen door was in the way when open. I do have to be mindful of the door in some situations (when at home packing and unpacking), but I've never had to slouch to stand under it while camping. That said, depending on how the site slopes, the kitchen could be too high for some folks, but we've never had that problem either.

We always camp with electricity, so it's not an issue that the outside fridge only runs on AC power. If we did a lot of boondocking though, it probably would have swayed our opinion some. Being in Texas, however, camping without A/C isn't really an option during the summer, so it never crossed our minds.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #24

We have 2012 32BHDS with outdoor kitchen. We love it and use the heck out of it. With AZ weather, it is perfect for enjoying the great outdoors.

One thing I wish, that the fridge in the outdoor kitchen was a dual mode, electric / gas. That fridge is useless when dry camping, unless you run a generator 24/7.

If we keep this long enough, I will install a dual mode fridge.

Having said all that, WE LOVE IT!
joe_n_az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasA&M View Post
I am 6'5" and have yet to be a campsite where the kitchen door was in the way when open. I do have to be mindful of the door in some situations (when at home packing and unpacking), but I've never had to slouch to stand under it while camping. That said, depending on how the site slopes, the kitchen could be too high for some folks, but we've never had that problem either.

We always camp with electricity, so it's not an issue that the outside fridge only runs on AC power. If we did a lot of boondocking though, it probably would have swayed our opinion some. Being in Texas, however, camping without A/C isn't really an option during the summer, so it never crossed our minds.
I'm 6'3" and I've never had a problem. My wife and kids are considerably shorter and they sometimes have a problem reaching the cabinet or the top shelf of the refrig.

All in all we love it. We use the fridge for drinks and left overs and the sink. We have not used the stove very much at all as we do 99% of our cooking over an open fire. I have toyed with the idea of taking it out and converting it into a drawer.
Chazinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #26

We've never actually used the stove either... we just use a hot plate outside when we need to heat something up in a pot. I figure I might as well use 'free' electricity instead of my propane!
Old 01-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #27

I am jealous of everyone one of ya that posted those great stories about your outdoor kitchens. LOL Just reinforces my thoughts that next TT I buy will have one!

Hopefully this also helps the OP with his or her decision.
CampingGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:30 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingGirl View Post
Hopefully this also helps the OP with his or her decision.
It certainly has. We will be settling on the 29L with outside kitchen sometime next week. Thanks all!!!
5arnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5arnolds View Post
It certainly has. We will be settling on the 29L with outside kitchen sometime next week. Thanks all!!!
The Marquaritaville Marquarita Maker is a great accessory for outdoor kitchens. It converts them to Party Kitchens!

We made many childrens beverages in the maker. A combination of snow cone mix, pop/lemonade, and slushy mixes make great ice drinks for kids. You can then add adult beverage to the mix to make them for adults (blue raspberry for the kids with Blue Raspberry Lemonade Vodka for the adults).

We had many variety of frozen beverages.
Dadof4Girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #30

We use ours all the time, mainly the second fridge. Allows me to refill my drinks while the kids are sleeping without turning on lights or making noise inside. One of the thing I liked about this one over the others was that the sink has a true drain. We keep all the campfire stuff out in the drawers where it's handy. We also keep a fire extinguisher out there, just in case. To do it all over again, I think I could live without the sink and the stove, but my next one will have an outside fridge, even if it's retrofitted after the fact.
Good luck on your search and Happy Camping.
rescuebub is offline   Reply With Quote