Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #1

Is this gonna be too much weight on the wall (tv mount)

I purchased a flat screen led for the front bedroom today. 19 inch with built in dvd player. Weight is 10 pounds. Because of where I want to hang it (front bedroom on the "mount tv" sticker) I needed a mount that extended a ways out from the wall. I finally decided on this mount. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1YX7EB80E4EIU It weighs 11 pounds. It extends out 18 inches so we should have a pretty good viewing angle while lying in bed. What concerns me is that there will be a total of 21 pounds hanging from that spot. Is it too much? The reviews are pretty good, the price is great, and it extends out further than most.(unless I want to spend a ton). Thanks for the input.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:23 PM   #2

How easy is it to remove the television from the mount? You could store the tv when going down the road and re-hang it at the camp site.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #3

it states 2 piece slide in for easy installation, so I am assuming that removal of the tv should be pretty easy. just not sure if 21 pounds hanging from the wall is too much or not.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #4

What is on the other side of the wall ? what you could do to spread out the load, is to put a spanning board on the other side of the wall and a length of board on your TV's side. fasten the boards together threw the wall. Screws or bolts. Then attach your TV's mount on to the board on your side. If the board is high enough on the other side add a couple of clothes hooks. If inside a cabinet add a key hooks. Find some with a router and rout some nice edge all around the boards, stain or paint to match. board only needs to be a little wider that the width of the TV mount.
neverenoftackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:09 AM   #5

I just looked at the mount and the weight of the mount is only 5lbs (check with mfg).. the shipping weight is 11 lbs (which Amazon constantly over states. I am also looking for a swivel mount for 2 tvs for our new 26rks which will be here at the end of August.

Does Jayco recommend the the screw length? Our dealer said they use 1" screws to mount the TV's they install. I guess the best will be to call Jayco and ask them the thickness of their backer board they install to mount TVs' I would think they have some suggestions since they sell units with tV's in stalled (or do they leave that up to the dealers)... I just may pay the dealer a small fee to install a couple mounts for our rig... that can't take a lot of time...

Dave
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidki View Post
I just looked at the mount and the weight of the mount is only 5lbs (check with mfg).. the shipping weight is 11 lbs (which Amazon constantly over states. I am also looking for a swivel mount for 2 tvs for our new 26rks which will be here at the end of August.

Does Jayco recommend the the screw length? Our dealer said they use 1" screws to mount the TV's they install. I guess the best will be to call Jayco and ask them the thickness of their backer board they install to mount TVs' I would think they have some suggestions since they sell units with tV's in stalled (or do they leave that up to the dealers)... I just may pay the dealer a small fee to install a couple mounts for our rig... that can't take a lot of time...

Dave
I went to the manufactures website as well, ya, it does say 5 pounds. So instead of 21 pounds, its only 15. I got a schematic of my TT, it says the walls are 1.5 inches thick. Somewhere here I read that the board they place between the wall is 3/4 inch thick. As for what length screw to use, I will wait for mount to arrive. I have no plans on using their screws to mount to the wall. I will pick up some lag screws at Lowes or HD. I figure something that extends about 1 inch from the back of the mount should do it. I believe that the wall portion of the mount has a place for 3 screws.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:48 PM   #7

There is a piece on wood on opposite wall bathroom for support
I always store TV when traveling.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TV Wall Mount 1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	5036Click image for larger version

Name:	TV Wall Mount 2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	5037Click image for larger version

Name:	TV Wall Mount 4.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	5038
turkey2731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #8

Make sure you pay attention to the screw length you use. Find the thin studs in the wall and don't put a long screw through thr siding of the trailer!
brucef15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #9

The trick is certainly having the 3/4-1 Inch board mounted to the wall first like Turkey 2371 is showing. The ones i have seen are usually maybe larger than what Turkey is showing but the idea is the same. This spreads out all of the weight over a large area. It would be neat to mount the board to existing interior wall stubs but not necessary. You can mount the board to 1/4-inch trailer walls using those expanding type metal wall mounts. Of course finding a wall stub is best.

You can paint the added board to meet your wall decor. The mounted TV will hide the board just fine when hung... Search google for "mounting LCD TV to RV walls" and when it loads up select "IMAGES" and google will show you many different ohotos of mounted HDTVs to trailer walls.

You shouldn't have any problems hanging what you wanting to hang if you spread out the weight over a larger area of the thin walls.

Use these type Expanding Hollow Wall Anchor Screw if you can't screw into a inside wall stud... These are also called MOLLY Screws...

photos from google images
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #10

FWIW, I just purchased a new 22FB and with the aid of a stud finder (not my wife) screwed an articulating arm mount to the wall separating the BR and living area. The mount is very secure, although I remove the TV when traveling. TV is a 19" and with the mount weighs close to what the OP was concerned about.
Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	5056
Woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:17 PM   #11

I mounted a similar size bracket and television using 1" screws in the spot identified with the sticker. The mount is very secure. Having said that I would not travel with the television mounted, which could put considerable stress on the mount.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #12

I got this one from Amazon. It's working out great! My husband can get past it to his side of the bed, no problem. It tilts down for a great viewing angle and the TV lifts off in a snap for traveling. Hope you can find the site, I couldn't figure out how to properly attach the link
Oh, and we mounted it a few inches above the sticker (using a stud finder). Just be sure you allow space to lift the TV up and off the mount for removing.

http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-Tilt-...rcity+tv+mount