Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-19-2014, 10:50 AM   #1

Issue with Atwood Wedgewood Visions oven

Our trailer was purchased as a used unit that had been used for about six months. So no warranty is in effect. We had never used the oven until about 2 months ago. I lit the pilot light with no issues and set the dial at the proper temp. We noticed that the oven and the pilot light both went out. I ran the pilot again and set the temp and watched the unit heat up. As the burner unit and pilot light heat up, there comes a point where the pilot light begins to sputter. It acts as if the propane supply is being cutoff to the pilot light until it ultimately goes out. I contacted Atwood and provided the model number for this Wedgewood Visions model and she immediately said the pilot light needed to be changed. I suspect some type of defect. I replaced the pilot light kit for $44 but there is no change in the condition. I have a feeling the oven thermostat may be the real culprit but that part is pretty expensive so don't want to keep replacing parts as that gets pretty spendy. Anyone else have a similar problem?
2007 Yamaha Grizzly 400 ATV and Yamaha 2000 watt Genny
Me/retired insurance claims and DW/retired RN.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."-Red Green
dougfir1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:18 PM   #2

Are you holding the oven temp knob in for about 30 seconds after lighting the pilot, to give the thermocouple time to warm up?
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:32 PM   #3

Yes. In fact until I turn the knob to bring up the temp the pilot light burns properly. It is when the burner and the pilot light get hotter does the pilot start cutting out.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."-Red Green
Old 06-19-2014, 03:37 PM   #4

Sounds like it may be a problem with the thermocouple. It may be providing the opposite signal to the pilot when it gets hot. So instead of keeping the gas valve open to the pilot it is calling for it to close. When it starts to flicker have you tried pushing in on the knob to see if the gas returns to the pilot?

Just a thought. Hope you can diagnose

TNCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:02 PM   #5

Thanks for your input. I tried it but unfortunately no change. I have to wait for the burner and pilot to cool down before I can relight the pilot. Very strange problem.