Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-12-2015, 12:21 PM   #1

Jack points

Is it safe to jack the TT under the axle circled in RED? The Jayco manual stated to jack it by the frame just in front / behind the axle but it seems like I would need a ton of blocks to put under the jack just to reach the frame.

If the circled RED is not the best location, where else I could jack it from the other picture?
Attached Thumbnails
Axle.jpg   FullSizeRender 3.jpg  
Old 09-12-2015, 12:37 PM   #2

Most say no, BUT. I bought some saddle pieces, like you see on top of the axle, same size as our axle. Fit a piece of wood in it and shaped it the same as the contour. Welded a short pipe to the flat slide for the bottle jack to fit in. I put the saddle between the u-bolts and jack it from there. Essentially the same thing that's on the top, but on bottom, with more support.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:56 PM   #3

You can do it, and usually it won't cause any problems. There is a possibility that raising it by one axle could cause unnecessary torque on the walking beam (the center beam between the two axles that the leaf springs attach to) causing it to jam against the frame and twist. But I ask, what is the reason for jacking it up? If you are raising it to change a tire, you don't need a jack at all with a dual axle. Just drive the tire you are not changing up onto some blocks or stand or other very handy market devices to raise the flat tire off the ground.
If you are raising it for the purpose of storing it, then once lifted, place jack stands under the frame.
If you are raising it to service the bearings or brakes, then you should still place jack stands under the frame just behind and in front of the wheels.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 01:40 PM   #4

Just buy a TrailerAid or use some wood. Trailer Aid - Statelinetack.com

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 02:08 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. The reason for wanting to jack it up is so that I can adjust the brakes or service the bearing. Also, hopefully will not need it, but to change a flat tire too.

What i read about the TrailerAid type solution is that it doesn't work well on wide stance tandem axles. Is this not true?
Old 09-12-2015, 02:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb4life View Post
Thanks for the replies. The reason for wanting to jack it up is so that I can adjust the brakes or service the bearing. Also, hopefully will not need it, but to change a flat tire too.

What i read about the TrailerAid type solution is that it doesn't work well on wide stance tandem axles. Is this not true?
That is possible. I had to look at your picture again to notice it was a wide track.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:10 PM   #7
Site Team

The area you circled is where most do their jacking. I pull the good tire up on a couple of 2x6 blocks and put a bottle jack under where you have circled. I put a wood block between the jack head and the axle plate and break the lugs, then jack it up enough to clear the ground.

Reverse to lower.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 04:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadamn View Post
Just buy a TrailerAid or use some wood. Trailer Aid - Statelinetack.com
You can do the same thing with a pile of Legos that most of us carry anyway.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:11 PM   #9

You are fine there I've done it many times on my previous trailer. I just completed the brg and brake inspection on my new 24RBS and I realised that my floor jack was too wide to be able to jack right at the U bolts location, so I moved just beside them and jack just enough to free up the tire from the ground. IMHO the warning is there just to prevent bozo from placing a jack right in the middle of the axle to lift up an entire axle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb4life View Post
Is it safe to jack the TT under the axle circled in RED? The Jayco manual stated to jack it by the frame just in front / behind the axle but it seems like I would need a ton of blocks to put under the jack just to reach the frame.

If the circled RED is not the best location, where else I could jack it from the other picture?

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:36 AM   #10

That portion of the axle is already supporting the weight of the trailer...on the top side, there's no reason why the bottom portion of the axle can't do the same. Jack it up and don't worry about it. It'll be fine.

Mike & Theresa, Madison, WI
2012 Jayco White Hawk 26SRK
2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost FX4
Fatfenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
You can do it, and usually it won't cause any problems. There is a possibility that raising it by one axle could cause unnecessary torque on the walking beam (the center beam between the two axles that the leaf springs attach to) causing it to jam against the frame and twist. But I ask, what is the reason for jacking it up? If you are raising it to change a tire, you don't need a jack at all with a dual axle. Just drive the tire you are not changing up onto some blocks or stand or other very handy market devices to raise the flat tire off the ground.
If you are raising it for the purpose of storing it, then once lifted, place jack stands under the frame.
If you are raising it to service the bearings or brakes, then you should still place jack stands under the frame just behind and in front of the wheels.
By driving the good tire up on blocks aren't you effectively doing the same as jacking up the bad axle? You're just doing it to the axle with the good tire instead of the axle with the flat tire. Am I missing something?
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 03:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
By driving the good tire up on blocks aren't you effectively doing the same as jacking up the bad axle? You're just doing it to the axle with the good tire instead of the axle with the flat tire. Am I missing something?
+1 My point exactly.

Mike & Theresa, Madison, WI
2012 Jayco White Hawk 26SRK
2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost FX4
Fatfenders is offline   Reply With Quote