Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-22-2015, 06:30 PM   #1

Exclamation Jack under 185RB Baja (tire change)

Hi folks!

It'll be months before I take delivery of a 185RB Baja edition, but I'm trying to prep everything I can. Does anyone know if there's a community based diagram or layout for the best jack point on that model? Being a single axle model, I surely want to be prepared to handle a change as quickly and easily as possible. I've always kept a good hydraulic jack, stands, etc in my cargo trailers on my trips, but I know it'll possibly be a different setup on the 185 and I can't seem to find a clear document on it anywhere for the SLX. The manual isn't very helpful, as it says to lift just ahead of the front tire or behind the rear tire. Since it's a single axle, I'm wondering if people have generally found one to be better than the other. I'm not too worried about handling it if needs be, but if there's already a confirmed 'better choice' depending on the situation (water onboard, or not, etc) then I'd rather take advice from folks who have dealt with it already! Not having a unit handy to measure the lift heights I'll need is also worrying - I'll need to have a Jack onboard on my first trip, so if anyone has a good measurement that'd be great to have in advance.

Thanks!
seanmcpherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:38 AM   #2

I've owned trailers of various types for years and when changing a tire I've always put the jack under the axle as close to the tire as possible. If you jack up the frame you'll have to go considerably higher.

A scissors jack works for me, but last year I bought a hydraulic jack with a 360 degree rotating handle. That's a better unit. Once you have the jack, cut up several pieces of 2x6 or 2x8 lumber in a size to match the bottom of the jack. Then, use as many pieces as necessary to get the height you need. Just make sure the footprint is long enough that its stable and won't tip.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote