Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-09-2017, 09:34 PM   #1

Jacking up a Whitehawk

Have a 2017 on order. Wondering what kind of Jack I need to change a tire? Where do you place it under the trailer?

Thanks.
Bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:39 PM   #2

I carry a six ton bottle jack and a large block of wood to set it on. Jack goes under the trailer frame, never the axle!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:54 PM   #3

I would recommend a bottle jack, that is rated at a minimum, for the total weight of your tt. This make jacking up the tt easy, without stressing the jack.

Place the jack on the frame, either just forward or aft of the wheel to be changed.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:18 PM   #4

Can you place the jack between the wheels to take off two wheels at the same time? I would like to take two wheels at the same time to a tire shop to install the sensors.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:29 AM   #5

I picked up this jack up when it was on sale ($79 I think).

FREE SHIPPING — Strongway Air/Hydraulic Bottle Jack — 20-Ton Capacity, 10 7/16in.–20 1/16in. Lift Range | Bottle Jacks| Northern Tool + Equipment

It is more than needed; but I love being able to hook to the air compressor and watch closely from the sidelines as it lifts versus crouching under the trailer pumping it up and hoping the creaks are not a sign of imminent catastrophe. I bought a 4x4 and cut into 1' pieces to use as cribbing under the jack. Everything stores neatly in a milk crate. I jack directly on the frame as close to the forward leaf spring bracket using a piece of plywood with a recess for the jack head to keep from marring up the frame. You can get both wheels off the ground.
seadeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:09 AM   #6

I read this about jacking a NextGen frame, but the frame "lip" is so thin, I am afraid to place a jack on it. I do not see much material to put a jack on and the weight of the TT. I must be missing something.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 02:17 PM   #7

Jacking on axle

Bought new Maxxis tires a few weeks ago on my Jay Flight 22FB. Tire dealer jacked trailer up on axles. Guess he didn't know about jacking on frame only - neither did I. Should I check for any damage to axles (or any place else)? Thanks.

2011 F150 SCrew 5.0, 3.73, 157"wb, ARE cap, Husky wdh
2010 Jay Flight 22FB
Gypsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 05:46 PM   #8

Before you go spend money on a new jack, check to see if the jack from your tow vehicle will work. The TT owners manual says the put the jack on the frame just behind or in front of the tire you are raising. My F150 jack worked just fine on raising my TT. I made sure to test it before my first trip.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:57 PM   #9

Why not use one of those bananas that raises one wheel up. I doubt any stress is going to occur for a simple tire change. I've done it with blocks for 15 years without issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kampfirekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:22 PM   #10

Or just jack the axle.

I always jack trailers/trucks on the axle because it's the lowest, most accessible point. I use the spring perch whenever possible because that's where the load is anyway. No damage ever. Every tire company and road service tech I've ever seen does the same.

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:19 PM   #11

The axles on the TT flex so my owners manual expressly say NOT the put the jack under the axle.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kampfirekid View Post
Why not use one of those bananas that raises one wheel up. I doubt any stress is going to occur for a simple tire change. I've done it with blocks for 15 years without issue.

This won't work with a White Hawk as it has the wide stance axles - I tried...
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:52 PM   #13

This is what I learned today about units with the NORCO NXG frame (Feathers and Hawks):
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...mes-47434.html
Old 06-12-2017, 07:09 PM   #14

Thank you for the helpful background information. Unfortunately, the cross member, double jack method does not seem very practical for a roadside tire change. I guess the takeaway is to just go under the leaf spring for that.
seadeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:32 PM   #15

Yes - A roadside change is different. I will still keep a small jack and Anderson Rapid Jacks for tire changing. I also will use the roadside assistance that we pay for every month. The method I learned about today is for suspension work and any other job that requires elevating the entire coach.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdomino View Post
Have a 2017 on order. Wondering what kind of Jack I need to change a tire? Where do you place it under the trailer?

Thanks.
I had not seen any jacking warnings when I had my new tires put on at Discount Tires. I saw TT at this store every time I went by there so felt they had experience. My White Hawk has same frame. It took them less than 30 minutes to do all 4 tires and the spare. The jacked all 4 tires off the ground at the same time with TT hooked to TV and the jacks were on the axles. My slide is over the axels as well. I noticed this quote from a rep's response to this question:
He told me that "jacking directly under the leaf spring mounts on the axle is okay, but it is not best, and it will not work for all jobs. And since the axles are often under a slide out, it is not the best place to put the jack"

I have traveled several times since the tire change and have not had any issues with the axels or any issues with the frame. Looking at my frame I do not see a good place to jack on the frame so not sure what else you could do. This is just an FYI that not knowing any better jacking on the axels for a very short period did not seem to do any harm. __________________

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:12 AM   #17

I'm not sure why people want to carry the weight of a bottle jack with them. They are inconvenient and unstable and should be used in conjunction with jack stands. I have a set of these for leveling the trailer and to change a flat if needed. You get up to 5" of lift which will raise the second axle off the ground enough to change a tire and they are more stable than a bottle jack. Worst case scenario, use your tow vehicle's jack which is also much more stable than a bottle jack and goes with you always. My .02 cents

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-44573-Y...locks+for+rvin

2005 Forest River Rockwood 2601 (Sold)
2011 Ford Expedition XLT (Sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler (Just for fun!)
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:30 AM   #18

I use a different method that has worked for my '15 27DSRL to change a flat tire. I use the Anderson levelers at the campground. For a flat I put the Anderson leveler on the inflated tire and drive onto it which lifts the flat tire off the ground. If I need a few inches more lift because of uneven ground I carry those flat square plastic interlocking leveling blocks and put those under the Anderson leveler. Since I use these at the campground I don't need to carry a spare jack or crawl under the trailer to place a jack and it seems more stable when the Big Rigs are flying past me at 80 mph.
rgchak is offline   Reply With Quote