Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-09-2015, 01:58 PM   #1

Jay feather 23rlsw

I'm a new member and this is my 1st post. The wife & I have settled on buying a Jay Feather 23RLSW in the next few months. The reasons are; floor plan, just the 2 of us, want the dry weight around 4700 lbs., it will fit our needs even though there is a lack of closet space.

Hard to find everything we want in a shorter TT. I bought a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 with the 3.0 liter V6 diesel to tow with. 240 HP, 420 lb/ft of torque. Runs well with plenty of grunt to pull with. 28MPG HWY.

Rated to tow up to #7200. I plan on keeping my loaded weight at no more than 5600 lbs. if possible which is about 80% of the max. towing capacity. Will travel with minimal water and downsize on what we use to haul in our previous class A. We don't dry camp.
It's going to be a challenge but we will make it work.

I'm not new to towing but it's been awhile.

Anybody out there who is towing with this combo or something similar. I'm looking forward to your replies and watching this forum. Wireman
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:08 PM   #2

Welcome

We just bought a 23RLSW last month for just the two of us. We used the space under the bed for clothes as there is not much room for that I agree.

We really liked the floor plan and the weight.

Can't help on the towing we have a 2014 Ram with the 5.7 Hemi.

Hope you enjoy your new purchase.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
I'm a new member and this is my 1st post. The wife & I have settled on buying a Jay Feather 23RLSW in the next few months. The reasons are; floor plan, just the 2 of us, want the dry weight around 4700 lbs., it will fit our needs even though there is a lack of closet space.

Hard to find everything we want in a shorter TT. I bought a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 with the 3.0 liter V6 diesel to tow with. 240 HP, 420 lb/ft of torque. Runs well with plenty of grunt to pull with. 28MPG HWY.

Rated to tow up to #7200. I plan on keeping my loaded weight at no more than 5600 lbs. if possible which is about 80% of the max. towing capacity. Will travel with minimal water and downsize on what we use to haul in our previous class A. We don't dry camp.
It's going to be a challenge but we will make it work.

I'm not new to towing but it's been awhile.

Anybody out there who is towing with this combo or something similar. I'm looking forward to your replies and watching this forum. Wireman
Wife and I have just bought one of these. It's got tons of space compared with our one-year-old SLX 165RB that we're giving up, but I agree about the storage - clothing is likely to wind up in the under-bed storage, same as TxTwoSome described. Otherwise it's about ideal for us. We'll be towing ours with a 2010 F150, towing capacity is 8750, so we should have plenty of overhead available. Looking forward to picking it up in April or so.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:50 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies so far. Has anyone weighted there 23rlsw camper ready for the road? Wireman
Old 12-09-2015, 06:46 PM   #5

At 5600# I'd expect a tongue weight of 840#. Another 80# of hitch and you have 920# on the rear. I suggest a visit to the scales to get your TV's weights. You may find that even tho you are well under the max tow weight you may exceed the Rear GAWR. We towed our first TT with a Ford Expedition that had a max tow of almost 9k# and the TT of 4400# with about 600# on the tongue. My surprise was we were 200# shy of my rear axle max. With another couple in the back seat I figure we were over on the rear axle. We did that a few times and I didn't stress over it but being over on every trip I would. Don't let the sales person convince you that all is well, he/she will probably tell you your '63 VW beetle can tow it with no sweat if it means a sale. The sticker on the driver's door jamb will have the weight limits for each axle and the scale will let you know the current axle weights.
The CAT Scale is your friend.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:08 AM   #6

Redhorse1, thanks for your input. I understand overloading the rear axle. Based on Jayco specs the unloaded tongue weight is #490. I see your #840 tongue weight is at the 15% max. allowed. Hopefully with careful cargo placement I can be in the 12% range which is about #750 with the hitch and it will tow without issues.

As I stated it's just the wife and I and we will have very little cargo in the JGC. The rear axle rating is #3700. I haven't had a chance to weigh each axle yet. The Jeep has the factory tow package with a class IV hitch. Still trying to find out what the max. tongue weight allowed is. I can't see it on the hitch anywhere. I'm not a physics major but won't some of the tongue weight be moved to the front axle of the tow vehicle and to the axles of the trailer with the WDH. I understand the 10-15% rule applies.

There's still a lot of research to do B4 we pull the trigger. Hopefully this forum can answer most of my questions. Wireman
Old 12-10-2015, 10:46 AM   #7

Our WDH unloaded the rear axle about 200#. And yes I used 15% in the calc, I usually use "worst case" numbers when planning something like this.

U-Haul says this about class IV:
Class 4 (Class IV) trailer hitch. Trailer hitch with weight carrying rating of up to 10,000 lbs gross trailer weight and 1,000 - 1,200 lbs tongue weight. Although many times any hitch with a capacity greater than 5,000 lbs gross weight is referred to as a Class 4.

I'm a huge fan of the CAT Scale. I felt a bit lost on my first visit but I'd read the "how-to" sticky on the JOF and figured I could get it done. A single pass will run around $10 and I think additional passes are around $3 if done in the same visit. Before we bought the first TT I worked the #'s as best I could and it towed well. I figured I was OK on the weights but didn't really know until I'd hit the scales.
Hopefully someone will post their weights for you. Good luck and smooth roads!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:08 AM   #8

I found out the max tongue weight is #720. 10% of max towing capacity. So 13% tongue weight (#750) minus unloaded weight created by the WDH I think I'll be all good using my previous figures. Will definitely weigh both axles unloaded to get a baseline. Wireman
Old 12-10-2015, 04:15 PM   #9

I have a couple of other questions. First, for those of you who have the enclosed underbelly, do you feel that it's worthwhile to include it as a option when I order my TT? Is the material a heavy fabric or is it the coroplast material that looks like plastic cardboard? I believe it costs about $350 and I'm leaning toward adding it on.

Second, This is a specific question for those with the 23RLSW floor plan. On the few units I have looked at, RV show and a dealer, there is no co-ax jack or a 110 volt outlet for a bedroom tv. Is it possible to have Jayco install these on the short wall between the sliding curtain and the bathroom door? I realize that it would fit only a small tv (19") or so, but it's something we would have to have.

I would also need a backer board to mount a 2 piece removable wall mounted tv stand. I would remove the tv from the wall during travel and keep it on the bed.

Looking forward to your input. Wireman
Old 12-10-2015, 06:55 PM   #10

Welcome aboard Wireman, sorry I can't help on your questions....
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:47 PM   #11

Quote:
I have a couple of other questions. First, for those of you who have the enclosed underbelly, do you feel that it's worthwhile to include it as a option when I order my TT? Is the material a heavy fabric or is it the coroplast material that looks like plastic cardboard? I believe it costs about $350 and I'm leaning toward adding it on.

Second, This is a specific question for those with the 23RLSW floor plan. On the few units I have looked at, RV show and a dealer, there is no co-ax jack or a 110 volt outlet for a bedroom tv. Is it possible to have Jayco install these on the short wall between the sliding curtain and the bathroom door? I realize that it would fit only a small tv (19") or so, but it's something we would have to have.

I would also need a backer board to mount a 2 piece removable wall mounted tv stand. I would remove the tv from the wall during travel and keep it on the bed.
Good question on the TV, Wireman. The thought had crossed my mind when we were looking through the TT we bought, but I decided not to worry about it and just enjoy the hookups it does have.

Regarding the enclosed underside, I was under the impression that is standard. On further examination, it does appear to be optional. The one I selected from the dealer's lot has it, so for me it's not a question.

Roger

Old 12-10-2015, 10:25 PM   #12

In July my wife and I purchased a 2015 Jayco 23RLSW and a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee for a tow vehicle. We are extremely pleased with the Trailer but the tow combination was not good. We had been assured before purchase by the trailer salesperson that the Grand Cherokee would be "an excellent tow vehicle for the trailer" and by the car dealership that the Cherokee was "certainly adequate" for a trailer of that weight. First trip out I was questioning the combination but being new to towing was uncertain. The engine in my mind was running at too high rpm most of the time and the transmission was shifting far to often for it to be good for the vehicle. Two trips more and I knew we had made a mistake. We traded the Cherokee for a 2014 Dodge Ram with a 5.7 Hemi and now have a combination that is comfortable in every way. It was obvious to us on the first trip towing with the Ram that the Cherokee had certainly been borderline and that we had made the right decision in changing tow vehicles.
As for the trailer we love it !
Harreec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:48 AM   #13

Quote:

Looking forward to your input. Wireman
Wineman

I know that StarCraft has a 24rls that is almost identical to the Jayco 23rls I was looking at both before deciding on the Jayco.

I noticed while looking at the StarCraft in the bedroom on the ceiling by the slide bathroom door there were plugs for a TV.

They are both made by Jayco so maybe that is a possible solution. Also on the StarCraft message bases were a few messages about installing TV in the bedroom. I will try to get you a link maybe it will help you.

Here is a link http://www.starcraftowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=310
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:01 AM   #14

Harreec, if you bought the JGC with the standard 3.6L V6, I can see why you would have a issue towing your Jayco with it. There is no comparision between that motor & the Hemi or the V6 eco diesel which I have. It's all about torque when towing. The standard 3.6 V6 -260 ft/lbs, Hemi -390 ft/lbs, V6 diesel - 420 ft/lbs. I'm sure the 3.6 would do ok with a lite weight trailer. Good to here your happy with what you have now. The Hemi is a great motor.

I decided to put out the extra $1700 over the Hemi for the mileage & torque when towing.

Can you tell me if your TT has a TV hookup (coax jack & 110V outlet) in the bedroom? It's important to us because 50% of the time we have different opinions on what to watch.

Thanks TXTwoSome, I'll check out the StarCraft website.

rkresge, Can you tell me what type of material is used on the underbelly?

Thanks Wireman
Old 12-11-2015, 08:10 AM   #15

Quote:
rkresge, Can you tell me what type of material is used on the underbelly?

Thanks Wireman
Wireman, I haven't picked up my new TT from the dealer yet, so I can't look, but everything I've read says that it's a plastic sheeting.

Roger

Old 12-11-2015, 08:24 AM   #16

rkresge, did you special order your rig or dealer stock? How long is the delivery time if you ordered?
The dealer down here doesn't seem to order for their stock, units the way I want mine equipped. So I will have to do a factory order.

Did you do OK on the price? % off of the MSRP? The delivery costs to here are crazy and add close to $3K to the cost.

I thought about doing a road trip and purchasing out of state for the right price but haven't turned that corner yet.

We don't plan on buying till around March or so, unless a great deal dropped from the sky. Wireman
Old 12-11-2015, 09:12 AM   #17

Quote:
rkresge, did you special order your rig or dealer stock? How long is the delivery time if you ordered?
The dealer down here doesn't seem to order for their stock, units the way I want mine equipped. So I will have to do a factory order.

Did you do OK on the price? % off of the MSRP? The delivery costs to here are crazy and add close to $3K to the cost.
Ours is from dealer stock. Can't speak for anyone else or other dealers, but I'm happy with how this unit is equipped, and I like the price. They were offering a sale price, and gave me an excellent trade-in value for my 1-year-old SLX 165RB. What counts for me is the bottom line, and I like the bottom line.

Roger

Old 12-12-2015, 09:01 AM   #18

Wireman our 23RLSW does not have a coax or 110v plug set up for TV in the bedroom.
Harreec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:07 AM   #19

Thanks Harreec, this seems to be a hit or miss situation. I talked to a dealer in Tx. who said 1 of the 2 they had in stock had it and the other did not.

I'm not sure if it has something to do with the build date. Can anyone confirm they have a 23RLSW with the setup for a bedroom TV. It might have to be a later production 2016. Wireman
Old 12-12-2015, 09:28 AM   #20

Quote:
Thanks Harreec, this seems to be a hit or miss situation. I talked to a dealer in Tx. who said 1 of the 2 they had in stock had it and the other did not.

I'm not sure if it has something to do with the build date. Can anyone confirm they have a 23RLSW with the setup for a bedroom TV. It might have to be a later production 2016. Wireman
If I get ambitious I'll stop by the dealer today and take another look at my 23RLSW to verify whether it has a hookup there. I'm thinking not, but it's worth a look. There's nothing on the dealer's equipment sheet for it.

Roger