Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-22-2016, 05:41 PM   #21

This might not apply or be too late for you, but I had a 2008 JayFeather 25F and there was a recall on mine and some other models. The wrong axles were put on at the factory, when we would hit a bump the tires would rub the top of the wheel wells.

The axles were replaced under warranty, and it was at least four inches higher when got it back.....

Old 07-24-2016, 04:28 PM   #22

I will be watching this closely because I am thinking of doing the same thing to mine.

Travisrda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:10 AM   #23

My bird does not qualify for the recall the axles have plenty of travel room. They are simply slung three inches up into the frame lowering the trailer. This being my first camper I was niave about the drain lines. I learned it the hard way at CG hookups and dump stations that my camper was simply too low to work at.

I have most of my metal prepped for paint just trying to wait out a good dry day to paint it has been raining everyday.
Doboy Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:45 PM   #24

Doboy Dawg, looks like a lot of work. 1 question, would it have been feasible to buy 2 new leaf spring axles and weld spring perches to the frame and get even more clearance?

Since I'm not familiar with the frame layout, it may not have been doable or maybe even more work than what you have done so far.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:08 PM   #25

Cool Lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
Doboy Dawg, looks like a lot of work. 1 question, would it have been feasible to buy 2 new leaf spring axles and weld spring perches to the frame and get even more clearance?

Since I'm not familiar with the frame layout, it may not have been doable or maybe even more work than what you have done so far.

Leaf springs were not feasible due to lightweight frame construction. The lightweight C channel frame sections are also bolted together. The frame is not heavy enough steel to support leaf springs. With this type frame construction the torsion axles were the correct choice. They were simply too low to the ground. At best my sewer pipe was 2.5" above ground.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:56 PM   #26

Way to go Jayco, while painting my axles I discovered they are Dexter 3000 lb torsion axles. Thanks Jaycrap! Two 3000 lb axles in a camper with a listed weight of 6500 lbs!
Old 07-30-2016, 11:13 AM   #27

Wink Jayfeather Axles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doboy Dawg View Post
Way to go Jayco, while painting my axles I discovered they are Dexter 3000 lb torsion axles. Thanks Jaycrap! Two 3000 lb axles in a camper with a listed weight of 6500 lbs!
Rusty, treated with Ospho, one coat self etching primer, one coat paint.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1071.jpg   IMG_1073.jpg   IMG_1091.jpg  
Old 07-30-2016, 11:23 AM   #28

Wink Jayfeather Axles

This is what happens when you drive on salt treated roads, wire brush removing rust and Ospho treated rust killer. Will paint with caliper paint after a day of drying.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1088.jpg   IMG_1086.jpg   IMG_1085.jpg   IMG_1089.jpg  
Old 07-30-2016, 11:29 AM   #29

Jayfeather Axles

Quote:
Rusty, treated with Ospho, one coat self etching primer, one coat paint.

Jayco 3000 lb axles in a 6500+ lb camper?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1090.PNG  
Old 07-30-2016, 11:43 AM   #30

Cool Rear Bumper? Really Jayco? Plastic Cover Over Nothing!

Quote:
When Jayco put "NO STEP" on the rear bumper cover they were very serious! When I removed the cover to take out the last 29 screws, (joke), LOL holding the bottom liner up, I discovered there is "NO BUMPER" behind the bumper cover. I'm glad the NTSB doesn't require travel trailers to have rear crash protection because this might survive a rear impact from a golf cart driving in reverse. I guess the rear bumper was an option that original purchaser did not choose? There appear to be bolt holes at the rear of the frame where at least a piece of channel steel should have been bolted. The last frame crossmember is approximately 6" from the rear of the frame. The "plastic bumper cover" covers air. I'm going to fabricate a rear bumper and add a 2" receiver tube for a cargo hauler. I'll use the cargo hauler to haul the black water pump out tank and lawn chairs. I would not even consider triple towing due to the weak frame construction. I'm going to repaint the trim covers as they all faded really bad.
The making of a bumper and hitch where none existed. The decorative plastic bumper cover was severely faded. I'm going to try and paint it back a color of gold that is close to what it appeared to be originally.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1064.jpg   IMG_1080.jpg   IMG_1081.jpg   IMG_1083.jpg   IMG_1084.jpg