Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-08-2016, 10:10 AM   #1

Jay Flight 28BHBE winterization details

Alright all, my OCD is kicking in on this winterization thing. I just can't find the "how-to" that is specific to my needs. I hate to have it truly winterized because here in SC we can use them pretty much all year save a couple of cold nights. So, I bought a Camco blowout valve the other day and plan to make a video tutorial about using it to winterize my 28BHBE. This will serve two purposes: 1)a how-to/checklist that I can quickly refer back to when needed and 2)allow me to "de-winterize" quickly when we're ready to use the TT during cold months. Who knows, someone else out there on the inter-webs might find it useful also.

So far, here are the steps I have.
  1. Open ALL interior and exterior low point drains to remove water from the system. (interior low point drain should be under bathroom sink?)
  2. Drain black tank.
  3. Drain gray tank.
  4. Ensure the hot water heater is off.
  5. Use the pressure relief valve to take pressure off hot water heater and then remove the drain plug/anode rod to drain.
  6. Install the Camco blow out valve into the fresh water supply.
  7. Open all cold water faucets including sinks, shower, and outdoor shower.
  8. Use an oil-less air compressor regulated to no more than 30 PSI to blow out all water.
  9. Open all hot water faucets including sinks, shower, and outdoor shower.
  10. Use an oil-less air compressor regulated to no more than 30 PSI to blow out all water.
  11. Install the Camco blow out valve into the fresh water storage tank.
  12. Use an oil-less air compressor regulated to no more than 30 PSI to blow out all water.
  13. Run the water pump for 10 seconds to purge any remaining water.
  14. Pour RV antifreeze into the sink p-traps, the toilet (leaving some antifreeze in the toilet bowl), and shower drain.
  15. Install the Camco blow out valve in the black water flush and blow it out.
  16. Close all exterior valves and replace any caps.
Ok, what am I missing? Pick it apart on everything from order of operations, procedure, or missing info. Thanks in advance.

shrp

repost to the correct forum. i couldn't move the original. -shrp
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:25 PM   #2

I thought you were supposed to run rv antifreeze through all the water system while bypassing the water heater. But we are boneheads so take that with a grain of salt��
Mauigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauigirl View Post
I thought you were supposed to run rv antifreeze through all the water system while bypassing the water heater. But we are boneheads so take that with a grain of salt��
You are correct in running antifreeze through the complete system, - hot water heater. It only takes a tablespoon of water to freeze in one of our plastic fittings to really mess up your first camping trip of the New Year.

Now I don't blow out my lines but what I do just before I leave for home after my last trip of the year is open my low point drains and all the faucets (8) and that drive home just about drains every drop out of the lines .
I also don't have to pour antifreeze into the Ptraps because when I'm filling my lines with the pink stuff I let it run for about an extra 5-7 seconds from the faucets ( that fills the Ptraps) and I'm done.