Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-20-2014, 11:19 AM   #1

Jay Flight 32BHDS and 33BHTS

Although I visited an RV dealer today to look at a 2014 new Jay Flight 32BHDS (35' 6" long), I noted a new leftover 2013 33BHTS (36' 11" long). My current TT is 34' long.

Have those with TTs in these longer length TTs find limitations with campground maneuvering and campsite options?

I do like the 33BHTS features but question just how long I should go. I'd be adding almost 3' with the 33BHTS so my total rig length would be almost 60'.

Any thoughts based on experience?
Honda EU2000i Generator
5arnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:40 AM   #2

I went from a 34ft Sunnybrook to a roughly 37ft 2013 324BTS. I think most private campgrounds can accommodate the length.
Clevelandjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:57 AM   #3

We have the 32bhds and have never had any problems at campgrounds outside National/State Parks. Then you may have a problem, but anything bigger than a pop-up can be a problem at some parks.

In the summer months it's hard to get sites in parks anyway so we stay just outside the park.

DieselX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:39 PM   #4
Site Team

We also have a 32BHDS and around here "central WV" most c/g do have limited spaces that will handle these longer TT's

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:06 PM   #5

This might be a rabbit trail from the original topic, but I am curious about a few things regarding the specific model, 32BHDS, for those of you that own it.

Storage
I will lose a rear storage compartment (one less compartment than what I currently have) because of the bunk house slide. Does the amount of storage in this model seem to be adequate without having to cram things to the ceiling in the compartment? I think I will be fine as I still have extra space when I am fully packed in my current TT, but I still want some feedback.

Bathroom Space
Ideally, we would like a model with the larger corner shower, but we feel this is a good compromise as the area in this bathroom (outside the shower) is larger than what we have now, making it easier to change clothes. Thoughts?

"Fantastic" Fan
"Fantastic" might not be the correct descriptor, but I'm talking about the fact that my current trailer has a whopping power fan in the bathroom. I see that this model does not come with the large fan...instead, it's one of those little fans (4"-5" diamater?). Has this fan been adequate?...has anyone upgraded to the larger one?

Price
The dealer hasn't come back to me yet with trade-in numbers, but the current price they're quoting me is $24,863 (it has the 15K AC, insulation, technology package, roof ladder). Does this sound like it's in the ballpark? Research has shown that, based on the MSRP, this is a reasonable price.

Any thoughts on these questions, and anything else I should consider, please let me know.

Thanks!!!
Honda EU2000i Generator
5arnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:51 PM   #6

32bhds

Have not had any problems with length. A couple of features I personally don't like.

1) The only place to watch TV is from the J-Steel Couch (extreme angle) or the rear part of the dinette area which is very uncomfortable and limited in width and difficult to get in and out of due to bumping your knees on the table support pedestal.

2) My advice is to look carefully at the floor plan and see if it is really what you think you want. ln other words, check it out thoroughly before you make the splash.

You can PM me if you like.

HNK
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:35 PM   #7
Site Team

Yes outside storage is very limited. Just the front pass through.
The bathroom is adequate in size and the small fan has dine just fine. I may add a large fan in the bunkhouse vent next summer.
As far as cost goes it will differ from state to state. But I will say that the price you are being quoted is QUITE a bit lower than what we paid[emoji45].
Mohok1 is correct about trying to watch the tv we will be adding a adjustable swivel mount to ours. But hey when camping we dont watch much tv anyway.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:28 AM   #8

We have a 2014 32BHDS. We paid almost exactly that price, including tax. We love it but there are a few things I wish were different.
One, the bathroom is small. Shaving or brushing teeth is a challenge with the small sink and the med cabinet directly above.
Two, you cannot watch tv in the bedroom without the doors closed. Not good if you have small children to keep and eye on.
Other than that we love it and have had no issues with length....so far !
campingn.c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohok1 View Post
Have not had any problems with length. A couple of features I personally don't like.

1) The only place to watch TV is from the J-Steel Couch (extreme angle) or the rear part of the dinette area which is very uncomfortable and limited in width and difficult to get in and out of due to bumping your knees on the table support pedestal.

HNK

We just spin the tv around a little bit to watch from the sofa.

Daytripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:18 PM   #10

We've got a 2009 32BHDS. We've not found the length to be an issue. Not had it to any National Parks, but have had it to several state campgrounds without issue. Are there spots we can't get in? Sure, but have usually been able to find something. We don't have the outside kitchen, so we have a huge outside storage at the rear, so we find outside storage way more than adequate. We don't watch much TV while camping (note, we don't "camp" with ours much any more, we use it to support us at goat shows & fairs), so we've not had an issue with only being able to see it from certain areas. We have not had any complaints with the size of the bathroom - that is actually one of the reasons we ended up with this model was because of the larger bathroom. Gives lots of area for dirty clothes storage which comes in handy for a family of 5 when you are at a fair for 10 days. Probably the biggest complaint I have is the lack of space in the master bedroom. Almost impossible to get dressed/undressed in there. Usually end up having to go to the bathroom to get ready for bed, again, timing with 5 waiting for the bathroom can be a bit tricky though. Other than that, no issues with the camper.

We went to the Ohio State Fair this year for the goat show, should have seen me taking it down through the middle of the fair - fortunately it wasn't open yet and not everything was in place, but it was still pretty tight.
jwstewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:22 PM   #11

We have a Jay Flight 33bhts with the outside kitchen. Let me start by saying that I was more than happy with our previous camper. We enjoy the outside kitchen and love the hard door into the bunk room. The corner shower is OK even for a 6`3" fellow and the layout over all is good there is options that will lessen or increase storage. Wish list is a shoe cabinet for the wife and more outside storage for me. We have everything power the only regret is the power awning,it works well , I just don't like the awning having little adjustablity. We really like the coach and have had no trouble finding a site yet. This layout seems to suffer from low tongue weight and we are fighting some sway issues from that. But this is all fairly easy to remedy .
T-slack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:29 PM   #12

I just purchased a 2014 32BHDS a few months ago. I paid $27100 out the door in California. I have have all of the same options (15k etc.). I moved from a Class C with a ton of basement storage. I will say that I thought I was never going to have enough room for stuff, but I truly do not feel that way anymore. I only keep the really dirty things in the outside storage. I was keeping a ton of chairs under there, but now I put them under the bed. I keep my portable satellite in the place where the kids sleep in the back. I keep my small propane campfire ring in the bag and put it on the counter with a towel under it in the outdoor kitchen. I keep the kids boogie boards in the outdoor kitchen next to the small fridge. I keep some stuff in the outdoor kitchen cabinets. All of my hoses and sewer stuff is in 5 gallon buckets up front in the storage compartment, along with all the other extra wood, leveling blocks, tool box, chocks, etc. Moral - it has plenty of storage.
I will say that there are some parks that I cannot go to as they are limited to 27feet, but I just make sure I check places before I go to make sure I will fit. I just got back from Jalama Beach County Park and the spot I got said 30 feet. I called and they said they have put 40 feet up there and I should have no problem. It was an easy fit (I saw 40 foot MH's try and get in a couple spots down - not easy for them).
There is a much longer swing behind the rear wheels you have to watch out for. That was the only thing I really had to keep an eye on.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:31 AM   #13

I have 2013 model. As others stated, TV is challenge and the bathroom is cramped, hard to dress and undress for shower. Storage is outside extemely limited, but we use the storage area under the dinette benchs and this helps. Backing into sites can be a little harder than smaller trailers, but we do love the bunks and outside kitchen, so it's a trade off.

2013 Jayco Flight 32TSBH
:USA::USA:
Proud Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:42 AM   #14

We have a 32BHDS, ordered new through RV Direct in 2010, and have camped from Maine to Disney and have not had any issue with the length preventing us from getting a spot at a CG. We do not have the outside kitchen but instead have a large storage compartment, that along with the front pass through has given us plenty of space to pack all our gear. We are a family of 6, sometimes 7 when Grandpa comes along, and we love the amount of room in the TT. My 4 kids , 17, 16, 14 and 8, sleep in the rear bunk room. I installed a LCD TV in the bunkroom for their enjoyment.
I find the bathroom is fine for dressing/undressing I wish there was more room in the bedroom.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote