Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-06-2013, 08:27 AM   #1

Jay flight 33 rlds - cleaning and dewinterizing

Finally I think I am ready - got the inch and it will not go away. Bought our 33 RLDS last October and have not yet had the maiden voyage. Is there a section where I can read and do proper dewinterizing or has someone has already commented and I can find that place? I am searching the site and got lots of ideas. Also I see where it is OK to walk on the roof gently to clean, if not please let me know. I see where everyone has a different opion on what to use to clean, spic and span, Maguiars or dawn for the roof but how about getting the black streaks off the side? Any suggestions would be appreciated I plan on spending Sunday to dewinterize and clean then maybe next week-in hit the road with wife and 3 dogs.

Thanks - Ron
2005 DODGE RAM 1500 4X4
2012 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT 33 RLDS
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS - RETIRED
SPUTTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:37 AM   #2

Someone yesterday or the day before tried WD40 and they stated it worked. I would follow up with a soap and water to clean off the WD40 residue afterwards. Some folks have also mentioned they use a product called "Totally Awesome" which can be found at Walmart and some dollar stores.
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:55 AM   #3

A big part of your dewinterizing is the cleaning out of your water system. You need to put water in your FW tank, then pump out the pink antifreeze if you put it in last fall, and then sanitize the system. I use 1 cup of bleach for a 35 gal tank, poured into the gravity fill neck, then fill the tank. Let sit for at least 4 hours, then thoroughly flush the entire system. Drain tank, then flush again, and that should do it. Don't forget any extra items, such as outside shower head if you have one.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #4

Thanks - I here people talk about total awsome, will go by dollar tree or store and see if I can find it. Yes I winterized with antifreeze lst fall, have to help the wife clean yard today then plan on getting to the TT as soon as possible
2005 DODGE RAM 1500 4X4
2012 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT 33 RLDS
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS - RETIRED
SPUTTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #5

Looking over our new 33RLDS noticed a patch in the bottom cover. Seems poorly done and not mice proof. Im not even sure why its there on a new unit..
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #6

I have a 322 fks and I believe the patch on the bottom is where you access the manual system to turn your slides in if the motor should fail.
hagertyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagertyeh View Post
I have a 322 fks and I believe the patch on the bottom is where you access the manual system to turn your slides in if the motor should fail.
My patch is no where near the slides. I might pull it off to see whats under it. I have to re-seal the crummy job they did anyway..
Old 04-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
My patch is no where near the slides. I might pull it off to see whats under it. I have to re-seal the crummy job they did anyway..
Let us know what u find out under there, I just brought home my brand new whitehawk and it has the patch also, mine was hanging half off and I fixed it myself.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:06 AM   #9

Finally got around to securing the patch. First I opened it the rest of the way to see what it was for. It was access for the wardrobe slide. Forgot about that one. Pulled out some garbage like plastic bags and such the slobs left in there and patched it back up. Take note the screws jayco uses are the rare square bit style. If you needed to open that up at a campsite who keeps square bit sockets ? Stupid...
Old 05-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #10

Square bits are actually quite common in the RV industry. Personally, I like them myself since they don't strip as easily as Phillips bits. I usually keep them in my RV tool bag for just in case.
rootdenied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #11

Hey just so you know, I called my dealer about the patch in my Eagles enclosed under belly. The sales manager informed me it is so the enclosed area could breath so condensation does not build up in there. He told me not to plug it. I was going to get the underbelly tape and repair it. But now hearing everyone has it , now I know it normal. And I don't want condensate in there.

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donedroolin View Post
Hey just so you know, I called my dealer about the patch in my Eagles enclosed under belly. The sales manager informed me it is so the enclosed area could breath so condensation does not build up in there. He told me not to plug it. I was going to get the underbelly tape and repair it. But now hearing everyone has it , now I know it normal. And I don't want condensate in there.

I live in the woods. I am much more concerned with critters taking up residence than I am condensation. Above the underbelly cover is another cover so I don't see how condensation should be a problem. Critters would be...
Old 05-08-2013, 04:10 AM   #13

I fixed and sealed mine up, my underbelly has small little "breather" holes already in it from the factory, sounds like the salesman has no clue