Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-28-2015, 07:23 AM   #1

Question Jay flight manually retract the slide?

So when we did our whole training at pick up I feel like the guy was kinda new and clueless. Most of my questions he had to go ask someone. I asked how to retract the slide manually if something goes wrong. He looked all over then told me you can't on the Jay Flight. Please tell me he was wrong and just clueless. This is something I want to know how to do for that "just in case" Thanks
MommieMara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:03 AM   #2

Yes you can. There is an access compartment in the underbelly. Pretty sure it takes a 5/8 or 3/4" wrench.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:10 AM   #3
Site Team

I had to locate the manual slide retractor myself as well, there was no mention of it in the manual. On mine it is under the sofa on the motor gear.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:57 AM   #4

On my 32BHDS there is not a manual crank to retract the slide.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:44 PM   #5

I have a 2012 Jayco Jayflight 29 RLDS and in the owners manual it shows you how to bring the slide in manually. BUT the picture is so close up you can see the nut to turn but don't have any idea where it is located.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:43 PM   #6

In my case if I need to retract the slide manually I am supposed to crawl under the TT and remove the underbelly and then unbolt the slide motor and then use a rachet on the slide mechanism to retract the slide. Seems like a lot of work.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:39 PM   #7

We have a slide on each side of our unit. The street side manual operator can be reached by removing a panel underneath. The curb side was a different matter. I removed the underbelly panel and discovered that the bolt to put the ratchet on was within 1/2" of the frame, making it impossible to get a ratchet on. I had to cut a hole in the frame so access could be made from outside the unit. Takes a little looking to find the things. Best to find out now how to do it rather than having to find this out when you're out on the road. I think someone at the factory just missed cutting the hole on mine.
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Loris, South Carolina.
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 02:37 AM   #8

We have the same rig as the OP. There is a small piece of underbelly to remove underneath. If you look under there near the main door you'll see it. I haven't removed mine yet, but probably will now. I've heard so many dos and don'ts on these type of lippert slides I'm not sure what the proper thing to do is. Remove power, don't remove power, undo motor and on the suggestions go. I'd have to look and make a judgement call myself. If you had to do anything other than crank the thing with a ratchet, you'd think they'd post a warning next to the slide motor stating what to do or what not to do. Then again, I'd have to pay more for the rv because of an added sticker.

On another note, that's just pitiful, but all too common for a salesman to say something like that. I have too much fun with them. I already know the answer to every question I ask, but want to see how much they lie.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:34 PM   #9

The salesman for our 26 BHS said to crawl under the trailer with two big adjustable wrenches and then somehow use them to retract the slide. I don't have an enclosed underbelly, and think I know where to use them. Real instructions should have been provided.
SailandPaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post

On another note, that's just pitiful, but all too common for a salesman to say something like that. I have too much fun with them. I already know the answer to every question I ask, but want to see how much they lie.
That's hilarious. I kinda did the same thing to the tech during my walkthrough, especially when he said my electric awning wasn't adjustable. Knowing full well that it was, I asked him what are these 5 holes here for. On the thread note, my manual slide ops are accessible from "ports" in the underbelly.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:14 AM   #11

The sales rep said my 32rlds came with a wrench for manually cranking the slides in. I haven't found any access port yet that will fit this wrench other than the spare tire. Speaking of BS that comes out of a dealers mouth. I asked the sales rep why there is a generic TV in the camper? Instead of her saying something clever about price point, she stated it is a special TV for RV's designed to me more durable when traveling down the road. I thought to myself, what a load of crap! I may be a rookie but I'm not stupid.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:54 AM   #12

Can't say for sure about your TT. I'd suggest locating the motor. If there is a manual retract it'll be with/next to the motor unless it's a schwintech slide mech, no manual operation. On the X23B it was under the sofa, found a bolt that could be wrenched to manually operate. Was told during PDI there was no manual retract. The 351 has 3 slides, one is a Schwintech, the other 2 have motors under the floor. Access from underneath. They require a ratchet To operate.
I suggest locating them even is a trip yo the dealer is required. I had to manually retract a slide on our 1st outing with the 5th. Not fun!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote