Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #1

Jay Flight Swift 198RD - Your Opinions

We are not Jayco owners yet, but may purchase this spring. We are considering a Jay Flight Swift 198RD. We like the dinette, couch, and wrap around windows in the back. The bedroom area seems sort of closed in. We want to stay under 24' long and around 4,000 lbs. in weight. So, 198RD owners, how do you like your trailer? How does access to the bed work out? How does it tow, particularly in the mountains? How are the MPG when towing. Plus, any other information you might have. Thank you very much.
Charlotte & Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte & Gary View Post
snip...... We want to stay under 24' long and around 4,000 lbs. in weight.....snip
Welcome to JOF

I'm sure some 195RD owners will chime in shortly....., but since you identified a specific trailer weight around 4,000lbs I assume that you are trying to stay within your TV's capabilities..., please note the following:

* Think in terms of "loaded" weights.., most RV dealers speak in terms of "dry" or "unloaded" weights.
* Published UVW weight is not the actual factory Ship Weight (heavier than UVW).
* Actual Ship Weight will be identified on a Yellow Sticker on the trailer (check RV dealer lot for examples of).
* Published Dry Hitch (tongue) weight may in many cases be heavier under actual "loaded" trailer conditions.
* Trailer loaded tongue weight is subtracted from your TV's payload capacity.

These are things that many RV dealers fail to mention to customers.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #3

Hi there

We also are considering the Jay Flight Swift 198RD because we love that sitting area and all the lovely windows allowing the outside to appear inside. Jayco also has the Jay Flight 19RD which looks like an identical floorplan, but that one seems a little heavier (sturdier?) and sports a 90 gal fresh water tank which would be REALLY nice on those occasions where you boondock or drycamp.

I would seriously be buying one of those were it not for that "climb over your mate to get in/out of bed" design of that queen, and also it doesn't look like there is enough wardrobe storage for people. Also, the sofa is comfortable, but won't sleep an adult because it is too short. So I hesitate... loving the layout, windows, fresh water storage.. all pluses... but the cons are important, who has to do the climbing? Do we have to rock/paper/scissors that each night to see who the loser is?
woltra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
Site Team

Welcome to the forum, woltra. You may get a better response to your questions by starting a new thread of your own.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #5

Hi Crabman thanks for the tip... as it turns out I was informed by my husband that we also need to shoot for the 4000lb and 24' size requirements, which ultimately kills my dreams of cruising the country in the Ultra lite 242. I was looking for the tools to edit my post but I don't see them. If I could I would delete the paragraphs regarding the 242. My apologies to Charlotte & Gary, because I don't want to hijack your thread at all

So that brings everything back to the 198RD & 19RD (same floor-plan)... and I'm already feeling more willing to climb over hubby to get in/out of bed because due to our size restrictions if that is the worst feature of this TT it's still a WHOLE LOT better than other types of camping I've endured (backpacking, tent camping, pop-ups). This is camping luxury, I shouldn't forget that

And with that in mind I hope it's ok if I continue to add to and follow this thread since us newbies (Charlotte & Gary, myself & my hubby) really are curious about this super cute, awesome little camper floor plan and would love to hear from some owners and learn more from their experiences.

From what I have learned so far just from the jayco web site regarding my R-value questions, it looks like the Jay Flight 19RD has an optional "Thermal Package" which = Insulated, heated and enclosed underbelly and 2-sided reflective foil insulation in main roof and slideout roof... and the Jay Flight Swift 198RD doesn't offer a thermal package.

I have other question regarding that enclosed underbelly feature and wonder if it makes it harder for mice to enter the camper? We've had mice in our pop-up and I really get creeped out having to clean up after them, so if there is ANYTHING that can help keep them out in the first place I really seriously want that!

Another question regarding insulated heated enclosed underbelly... what temperature does that keep your water storage elements safe to? Like what is the lowest outside temperature you can camp in assuming you are keeping the whole camper in a comfortable living temperature and not worry about damaging your water systems?

haha... I realize I'm taking us off topic again slightly... this thread is about the 198RD not the 19RD and the questions I'm asking are regarding the 19RD because it has the thermal options.

I'm just sort of bringing up questions partly for myself, but also for Charlotte & Gary because last year when I was researching whether we were going to buy a hybrid vs. a TT some very nice people posted their thoughts and questions and I loved it because it helped my own search evolve to a better place. I started thinking about issues I hadn't thought about before. I hope that I am providing a similar benefit for the OP's with my ramblings.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #6

Thanks for all your comments so far on the 198RD. It is still at the top of our list for purchasing this spring. In addition to the couch, dinette, and wrap around windows we like the fact that the living room and bedroom are somewhat separated. We also like the cabinets over the bed instead of the bunk. We looked at 198RD last weekend and the weight was 4,136 lbs. with all the options. Also, we pushed our queen size bed in our guest room at home up into the corner to simulate the 198RD bed. Then we blocked the two sides that are partially open with other furniture. The opening is 3 ft. on the long side next to the bathroom and 2 ft. next to the wardrobe. Then we went to bed. The inside person has more of a scoot out than a climb over. We are convinced that it will work. It is a small price to pay for the benefits of the lounge area. Thanks woltra for your comments. It is not rambling to us. Gary
Charlotte & Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:45 AM   #7

Very nice idea of "trying out" your bed that way. I'm less and less worried about the bed issue too when I consider all the other reasons why I like that floor plan. I echo all of your reasons for liking this model.

I've also read that the R-Values of those big windows might be an issue in cold weather, and they will let in a LOT of light in the morning. I plan to buy some insulating bubble wrap type stuff (Reflectix®) and cut it to size for the windows and put them up at night... that way it improves insulation and also provides good light block so we can sleep-in mornings when we are feeling lazy. That stuff easily rolls up and I might store it under the couch or the dinette during the day, we'll see.

Regarding wardrobe storage, that closet area might be best to hold jackets and coats and our actual clothing can be folded/rolled and stored above the bed.

I think I figured out why the owners aren't here posting yet.... at this time of year its still early for camping - at least up here in Wisconsin that's true, but the RV shows are in full swing so all the prospective RV buyers are all excited.