Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #1

Jay Flight VS Eagle

Looking at the tradeoffs between the Jay Flight and Eagle/ Eagle Superlite. We like the Jay Flight 26RLS , the rear living with a large rear window at 30 foot length or under most appeals to us. The Eagles only seem to offer floorplans with a rear window and LR in lengths over 30 feet.The Eagle superlite 298RLS comes a close second.
Looks like the Jay Flight does not offer a heated enclosed belly.
Maybe Im old fashioned but even though theres more weight ,the JF wood wall framing looks sturdier than the perimeter aluminum wall framing of the Eagles . I want a TT that will stand up to some rough non paved roads every once and awhile.
Any comments on the advatages of the costlier Eagle line?
Weight shouldnt be a factor , the TV is a F350 with some suspension mods.
Thanks.
nycsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum, nycsteve!

I believe the "thermal package" on the Jayflight includes the heated enclosed underbelly, check with dealer to be sure. Eagles have more amenities and upgrades, and I believe they have torsion axles instead of the leaf springs on Jayflights.(Eagle owners please verify). They also have the smooth sided filon instead of aluminum. Eagles and Jayflights have a 5/8 plywood floor, Superlites have a foam/luan type sandwich floor. Not sure how either one of these would handle off road conditions. It is true the Jayflight line offers the shortest rear living room model (26RLS) of the three lines, if length is a factor. Hopefully some Eagle owners will chime in.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #3

yup heated enclosed underbelly is an option on the jayflight g2 my 29bhs i just bought has it i really wanted an eagle but the fear of delamination after many hours of searching on the web has deterred me from buying a filon fibreglass sided trailer until the remedy these construction problems i dont need anymore headaches than i already have in life LOL
ChrisJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:15 PM   #4

Wow, I had to run outside and look at the springs on our axles. Happily our Eagle has springs and not torsion axles. Torsion axles are on my list of things NOT to have on a trailer. I am sure I looked under the trailer before we bought it.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:38 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
Wow, I had to run outside and look at the springs on our axles. Happily our Eagle has springs and not torsion axles. Torsion axles are on my list of things NOT to have on a trailer. I am sure I looked under the trailer before we bought it.
Thanks for clearing that up, Clutch, I stand corrected. Is there a downside to torsion axles? I thought that is what many manufacturers were going to on the higher end units.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #6

I opted for the Jayco Jayflight instead of the Keystone because Keystone has the huge rear window. The Keystone has either the large window in the rear or fold out tent.

Huge rear windows: Hot in the summer, cold in the winter, and muddy after a days drive in weather that isn't perfect. Even in perfect weather that was my first job when stopping. "Hubby, the rear window needs cleaning". I full timed in a Alpenlite 5Ver RL32 for 4 years. I can't remember one day that I didn't get up and tell my wife we should have bought the rear kitchen. We had to use an electric heater in the area behind the recliners.

Just something to think about when new RV owners are looking at RVs.
Curt class V hitch
Reese trunion WD with dual cam
AC6CV/7 ex-W8RUR since 1954

Wyotraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #7

WElcome to JOF nycsteve! Best place to find opinions/experience on a Jayco is on a 'Jayco exlusive rv forum' like JOF. Looks like some great advice has been shared already. Happy shopping!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #8

I think what is misleading regarding the axles in the Eagle series is that they use a MorRide equilizer between the leaf springs, not a MorRide axle.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:12 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy W. View Post
I think what is misleading regarding the axles in the Eagle series is that they use a MorRide equilizer between the leaf springs, not a MorRide axle.
Thanks Roy, I knew there was a difference there somewhere!
Old 02-24-2012, 08:30 PM   #10

Lee, all I know is that I had a torsion axle on a snowmobile trailer and it was nothing but trouble. Since that trailer and all the tires it wore out I always look for springs.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #11

I have had torsion axles on the last three boat trailers we have had, including one that carried a 4,000 lb boat for a total weight of 5,000 lbs. I had absolutely no problems with the torsion axles nor with the EZ lube system that they had. I would not be afraid to have torsion axles on a trailer in today's world.
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote