Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-29-2015, 10:28 AM   #21

If the Jay Flight has hung fiberglass walls then you should get one. It's the best way to make a fiberglass sided trailer. Unfortunately the JF has bonded walls like 95% of the rest of trailers made.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 10:54 PM   #22

Ok.. getting down the wire and still can't make up my mind.

Any more input on the Fiberglass Sides? Anyone with any issues yet?

Since it has only been out for a couple years, probably not enough time to tell yet.

Does anyone know how the Fiberglass sides are affixed to the Wood Studs?

Pro's and Cons to both I know, almost wish there was not the Option, would make it easier.

I feel I should give the FG Sides a shot but…
MIFL19H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:59 PM   #23

Ok here you go...I don't have experience with the Jay Flight fiberglass sides but we did own a 2007 Jay Feather 232 for 5 years before the 26BH we have now. I like the looks of the FG sides better, easier to wash too. I hate waxing so I can't comment on either one there! The current aluminum sided 26 BH is definitely showing many more tiny dings and dents after 3 years than the FG sided 232 did after 5 years. I have a lot of little rock dings in the front of the 26BH and even a little dent in the side of the 26BH where a tree branch hit it. The 232 with FG sides never showed this. Seems it was stronger in that aspect.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:23 PM   #24

I too was in this dilemma. I finally opted to go with the aluminum, mainly because of the windows. The dealer told me that the slide framed windows provide better circulation than the frameless tilt windows. I've read that online as well.
My current Sunnybrook 3310 unit has aluminum siding and still looks good at 10 years old. I din't mind the fact that the aluminum was $1800 less. Now that the order is in, I'm not even thinking about it anymore.
jloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:26 PM   #25

Had a really bad hailstorm here this summer. It beat the heck out of a neighbors aluminum trailer but you couldn't tell anything had happened on my fiberglass one
Vaneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:46 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaneta View Post
Had a really bad hailstorm here this summer. It beat the heck out of a neighbors aluminum trailer but you couldn't tell anything had happened on my fiberglass one
Did the neighbors insurance company write them a pretty large check for a repair?

Imagine they did and that the neighbors likely didn't/don't repair because for many of us a pile of money is more attractive than dent free panels
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:07 PM   #27

Clubhouse, that's what we thought would happen (take money and not fix) and when she sold it, she knew it its value might be down some but that's not what happened. Won't get into all of the lengthy details, but the insurance company totaled it such that only a salvage title could be gotten....couldn't title it to drive on the road. Because her awning and skylights had to be replaced whether the dents were or not, she finally just told them to come get it. Perfectly good 2 yr old camper but.....she really only had two choices. In other words, she really didn't want to lose that trailer.
Vaneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:20 PM   #28

Wanted to update this thread so when someone searches and reads it in the future they know what I ended up choosing…

I decided to go with Aluminum…

The JayFlights are not built like the JayFeathers and Eagles and after receiving info from Jayco direct and other owners I made the decision to go with Aluminum, another plus was the Framed Windows with Sliding windows which we preferred over the Frameless.

This is not to say that the JayFlight Fiberglass sides are not good or will cause problems, in the end you have to make a decision that works for you.

I was all in for Fiberglass sides but in the end, chose Aluminum, and feel I made a good decision for this particular camper and how we are going to use it.
MIFL19H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:58 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommarum View Post
Just got our new Jay Flight after a 3+ month wait. It has a wood frame and fiberglass walls. We traded in a 2013
White Hawk that was nothing but trouble for us. We decided after over 25 problems with it that we would trade up. We were talked into a Jay Flight as we were told they are built much better than the Hawk. On our first trip we had the "normal" problems of leaking water pump, bed shocks (that hold the bed up for access to the storage) that malfunctioned and would not allow the bed to lower. Table that rocked, and the killer, the bed broke loose and fell into the storage compartment. I tried to return the trailer for a refund and was told NO. Before I took the unit in for the warranty work I did a complete inspection of the trailer and found that Jayco has made the newer trailers look pretty at the expense of safety and strength. This trailer is no better than the Hawk. I was told that Jayco was aware of the bed problem and never told anyone. It appears that they changed from a 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch bed support to a 3/8 inch thick support. I bet they saved a few pennies on that move. NEVER again will I own a Jayco.
Holy K Rap. that is scarry. I'm looking right now & wouldn't consider anything not Jayco with the 2 yr warranty & good reports.
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote