Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-11-2016, 01:13 PM   #1

Jayco 185RB Baja + Alaska = ??

I am full-timing in my Jayco Baja 185RB (right now) because I am on my way to Alaska for retirement (no kids/wife...hehe). Before I can hit the road, I had to sell all of my belongings, and am still in the process of selling a couple of homes, so I have time before I need to leave. Maybe this summer.

I will be buying raw land in Alaska's interior far from utilities (maybe 100 miles from Fairbanks). I plan on cutting down some trees, creating a clearing, and build/buy an RV garage! The garage will sit on top a gravel pad, be insulated, and heated by 2 sources -oil stove & wood stove both designed to vent exhaust fumes outside. It will have a loft, but I will only need that for storage.

I will not be using the propane furnace, but will be using the hot water heater, shower, toilet, cooking and sleeping in the BAJA.

With an insulated structure able to handle snow/wind load, I should be able to live in the Baja for a couple of winters till I get a home built on the land. It basically is a little house already, and keeping the garage 40-65 degrees at all times should be easy. I think it will be AWESOME to watch blizzard conditions outside your window, and not have to worry about freezing or being cold from wimpy insulation. You basically got multiple layers of dead air space, and lots of insulation.

I can setup a macerator dump system that cleanly sends all the waste out to the outhouse (without me having to go out there in the winter time). Freeze protected too....

Imagine heating up some coffee on a wood stove in the morning, suiting up and taking off on your high-tech snowmobile, ripping up the trails early morning...watching the sun twinkle off the snow. Head back to your land with a load of wood, and a heated RV garage!

This is the plan so far, I am very excited about the challenges and my dream to live in Alaska!
Attached Thumbnails
al3.jpg   al1.jpg   perry07b_6.sized.jpg   garage11.jpg   Like this.jpg  

Old 02-11-2016, 01:44 PM   #2

Sounds like fun. Make sure to add a few windows foe a little natural light (when there is some).

What are your plans for power?

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:16 PM   #3

Power will be by my remote start generator, solar & battery storage. I actually know how much power I need for this stage of the plans. I might be able to buy land with power (closer to town), but I'm fine with generator for a few years.

I think I will have to drill a well pretty quickly, so maybe the following year.

Laundry: They make washer/dryer (single unit, not combo) units that only use 1500watts! Just provide water and drainage, and you have laundry! Perfect for small spaces.

The reason I think the Jayco BAJA is excellent for Alaska is because when the weather turns warm, I can tow it out to remote areas for hunting, animal watching, exploring, bird watching, etc... With the big front window, it makes a great hunting blind. LOL!
Attached Thumbnails
os2.jpg   al4.jpg  
Old 02-11-2016, 02:42 PM   #4

Wow,congrats
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:36 PM   #5

Sounds like you have a plan, Congrats
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:23 PM   #6

I am jealous!

olyelr is offline   Reply With Quote