Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-03-2016, 12:08 PM   #1

Jayco 2006 Antifreeze

This is the first year we are trying to winterize on our own. We do have the help of a friend who does his fifth wheel but his is a bit different than our travel trailer. We emptied all the water and blew out the lines but when it came to adding the antifreeze we were stumped. There is no attachment for the pump to pull it through the lines. He then thought we could dump it in the Fresh tank and pull it through the lines that way buy when we tried dumping it. The Antifreeze kept spilling out (AND IT IS EMPTY). I see where some people say there is an up type pour which means when we fill up at campgrounds we haven't had issues as it's pressurized but just dumping with a funnel won't necessarily work.

Our manual says just to dump antifreeze down the drains but I'm not sure if that is good enough?

Any thoughts?
trudeaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:27 PM   #2

Although my trailers have always had the anti-freeze fill, I understand it may be optional on some trailers; probably those sold in the deep south. Jayco does offer a optional kit to add this on (have seen it referenced here on JOF), or you can build your own from simple parts (2 valves and a T fitting plus a length of vinyl tube). The quickest solution is to get a bit (2-3') of vinyl hose the same size as the unpressurized feed from your FW tank. Pull the FW hose off the suction side of the pump, push the new length of hose on and pop the other end into your anti-freeze bottle. Just remember to put the FW feed hose back securely in place when done.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:42 PM   #3
BCK

If you have blown the water lines out well and everything is drained then the only antifreeze needed is the toilet bowl to keep the seal wet and a cup or 2 in each of the p-traps.

I don't like antifreeze in my water lines so blowing out is what I have done successfully for 12 winters. Just make sure you do a good job and don't miss anything or you may end up with a broken fitting next spring.

If you want the added protection of antifreeze then you can get a kit as mentioned above.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote