Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
Site Team

Jayco 2013 Eagle 284BHS Dark Front Cap – Heat Issue

Don’t get me wrong, we love our 2013 Eagle 284BHS, but it does have a “MAJOR” issue with the new dark brown front cap. It looks beautiful, but as the sun shines down on it, the caps temperature increases to 184+ degrees and the TT interior side of the cap, even with the extra insulation installed, is 135+ degrees. These are the December temperature readings and they were much higher in August. The interior temperature of the Eagle increased by 20+ degrees and the front bedroom gets extremely warm. I informed Jayco Customer Support of the heating issue and they acknowledged that there was going to be some additional heat during development, and inserted a little more insulation behind the dark cap. Obviously, Jayco did not do an actual temperature test when they were choosing the color combination for the 2013 or it would have been a deciding factor in NOT selecting dark brown for the cap color. So now, according to Jayco, I need to deal with it on my own, as they only suggested adding another air conditioner in the front bedroom. Not an option as we will be doing a lot of dry camping. Parking with the front of the Eagle facing north, is probably not going to take place either.

I really enjoy camping, but I “DO NOT” enjoy using the air conditioning whenever possible and when dry-camping AC is not even an option. I am looking for some ideas in resolving this problem. A few ideas that I came up with so far are to (1) repaint the cap ($$$) to the 2012 Eagle light color (2) Purchase those space insulating blankets and some how clip them over the cap while camping, (3) Installing a small exhaust DC fan in the cap (may void the warrantee, new location for critters to enter, may increase moisture behind cap).
I have attached the pictures with the temperature results for the dark cap and interior.

Any additional ideas?

Thanks,
Don
Attached Thumbnails
Exterior 184 Degrees.jpg   Interior 135 Degrees.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #2

That sucks. I hope i don't experience the same problem you're having. I just bought a Eagle 334rbts. I did get the 2nd A/C in the front bedroom and I live in Seattle, but we do have warm summers up here. They shouldn't have painted the front cap dark brown. I also have a 1999 Fleetwood Wilderness and it's all white aluminum on the outside and we never have hot temps inside. Good luck to all of us with the new Eagle.
Swingrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:04 PM   #3

Don't know if this would work or not, but I'll give it a try. Looks like from the floor plan that you have two wardrobes and an over-the-bed cabinet. There is a type of insulating blanket that is used to keep car roofs and floors cool, that is basically a thin insulating blanket sandwiched between two layers of what looks like tin foil, but is much more flexible and stronger. Whole thing is about 1/2 inch thick, and has to be glued on. Comes in a roll. I have used it in old car restorations between the roof and the headliner material, and between the floor pans and the carpet. Works particularly well in old cars that don't have A/C. Not much heat gets through it. Could something like this be glued to the inside of the front cap, at least inside the wardrobes and cabinet where it wouldn't show ? Just a thought.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:05 AM   #4

There are many reports on this forum, as well as others, about the great customer support that Jayco has. Your situation is another opportunity for Jayco to once again prove that. Maybe explaining to Jayco and your dealer - in writing, certified mail with return receipt - about the problem would possibly help. Write the president of Jayco. Perhaps if you can get the attention of the right people at Jayco the response you get will be more satisfying.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #5

That's too bad about the dark front end, though it could be a good thing in cooler climates. But 184 degrees seems like it could cause damage to the trailer.

Good luck rectifying your issue.

Bill
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
Site Team

Thanks for the idea. The only way to get into the area behind the cap would be to remove the cap, and the way it looks from the inside is that there is no access. It would be a big project and probably would not go back together the same as it came apart. Either way, the warrantee would be in jeopardy. We are looking at purchasing a few of those thin "Space Blankets" that they use on the space station. Will look terrible, but it may do the trick. I know the material you are talking about, I put it in my 65 Mustang... works great!
Thanks again,
Don
Old 01-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #7

What about having the front of the trailer “wrapped” with car wrap material that is commonly used on cars, buses and subway cars. You can change the color to anything you want. Some applicators will even print a design on it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Car Wrap Image.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	6024

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #8
Site Team

Wow, that was a great idea. Never thought of WRAPPING the cap. I will have to check that out!
Thanks
Old 01-06-2013, 02:01 AM   #9

Thank you for bringing this to the attention of our forum. The whole industry seemed to go to the darkened front cover. The idea of having a wrap put on it was brilliant. Good on you. They could probably test the temp difference prior to choosing what color you want. This makes me wonder what the temp difference is between one with the dark cover and one with the fiberglass white front. Just one more good reason to be a forum member. This may sound wrong but could you spray a fine mist of cold water on the front cap during the hot part of the day to help lower the temp.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #10

I have the white fiberglass front cap on my 2012 Eagle 320 RLDS and have no heat issue. The 320 is a front bedroom w/ slide and slide cover. Getting it wrapped in a lighter color should help the problem. Good luck, Terry
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #11
Site Team

If anyone is interested in checking the temperature on their RV, house or what ever, check with your local library as our county systen has 5 or 6 digital heat sensing units to check out for 2 weeks. Today I sent a request for a quote on wrapping the Eagle cap. I will let everone know the cost.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:13 PM   #12

I wonder if any of those wrap manufacturers have a special heat coating available on the material? That would be cool.
wyo7011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:15 AM   #13

I'm sure all of the posters here mean well with their suggestions, but a new trailer that hits an interior temperature of 135 degrees in December is a problem that Jayco needs to fix. The solution is either paint it or re-gelcoat it to a light color, and Jayco should take care of it, then think about reverting to a lighter color in manufacturing. There have to be owners out there with the same problem that are going to experience the same problem and will think it's an insulation or air conditioner issue. Bottom line... It's unacceptable
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #14

I have observed many design shortcomings in RV's over the years. It does make it quite obvious many of these design engineers are not users of these products. The only way manufacturers will override these engineers is to get a sufficient number of our (the real users) complaints and they can see a detrimental effect on profits. Unfortunately that process is far too slow to realize much customer benefit. Then you have new models with new engineers and a new set of design flaws. Whether it be the basic RV or the 3rd party appliance and systems suppliers the problem exists in both areas. We, the end users, are tasked with coming up with modifications to address the deficiencies. There are many of us coming up with various solutions and forums such as this gets the knowledge passed around. The manufacturers count beans. We, the end users, count functionality and convenience.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #15

Many manufacturers have gone to Dark Color Caps to get a more custom look.

At first look they do look good but in the South the Dark Colors are hard to cool in the hot sun.

I am glad our Pinnacle is "plane ole white", much eaiser to keep cool than the dark colors.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #16
Site Team

The 134 degree temperature is on the inside wall of the closet and overhead storage. IT radiates through the door and heats up the inside of the trailer. Still waiting for the quote on wrapplng the cap with a lighter color.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #17

So I have been reading for a number of months and was ready to buy either a Jayco or a Forest River Heritage Glen 5w, and noted the dark front caps on both of them. The Forest River even has a back A/C cover on the roof top. It is almost as if the designers had no clue how much heat is absorbed by dark material. Do you think that wrapping the cap might void the warranty, especially if there are any cracks on the cap?
NewJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #18

Just talked to a 2013 Eagle TT owner down a couple of sites who has the the dark front cap and he is not seeing those high temps.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #19
Site Team

Subjects: Wrap Waranty (Jayco), Current Wrap Quote Status, Front temperature.

First, Larry G, thanks for your input! Where is the 2013 Eagle located now (State), is it in a shaded site and in which direction it the cap facing. I am wondering if maybe the insulation behind the cap may have dropped? I have to figure a way of looking inside the cap area to check the insulation. It looks like I am going to have to buy one of those long neck cameras with the LED light and a LCD display to sneak a look. The plot thickens.
Today the outside temperature was 81 and the digital thermometer (borrowed one of the wireless sensors from my personal weather station) inside the storage cabinet above the bed was 96 degrees, give or take 1/10th of a degree. It was a hazy day, so the sun was not at its peak performance.

Current Wrap Quote Status: I received a call from the company letting me know that they received my request and they will have an estimat in the next couple of days.

Regarding Jayco's response to the "High Heat" temperature and regarding the waranty, and my options, here is the response I received:

Dear ....,
In today’s competitive market, we can never relax our efforts to provide the quality that our customers expect and deserve. As is often the case, changes are made to our units and those changes are not always accepted by all of our customers. With that being said, I forwarded your concern to our Director of Operations, there was a recognition that darker colors do attract more heat and as a result we did put in additional insulation behind the cap. We have R-14 insulation blanketing the entire front wall behind the cap. Your concern is the first that has been reported to us. Our Director stated that “We will certainly consider this as we make future decisions regarding exterior colors in our products.”

I also reviewed your concern with our National Customer Svc. Manager. There are a couple of options available, however these options would not fall under our limited warranty and any accrued cost would be your responsibility. The 2013- Eagle 284BHS has the option for a second air conditioner to be installed in the front bedroom area. I mentioned how much dry camping you will be doing so our first option may not be an option. The other option is to paint the front cap. You stated in your correspondence that you were told this would void the Jayco warranty. I believe there is some confusion on what is voided. When you paint the front cap, because this is considered a modification, Jayco would not be responsible for the painting of the cap. Therefore we would void the front cap for exterior cosmetic issued relating to the paint. The front cap would still have the warranty for structural defects for the remaining period of your Jayco 2 year limited warranty.
Thank you,
Jayco Customer Service
Old 01-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #20

You know, they might have just "forgotten" to add insulation under the cap. Stranger things have happened.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote